Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: So I'm a student now  (Read 11132 times)

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 12:56:01 AM »
However, people with degrees being dumb? You need to be quite intelligent to get accepted into a high-education institute, and make a real effort to get a degree. Cheating here is almost impossible. I would like to believe that people in good Colleges and universities are smarter than the general population, social abilities aside.
It's true that many talented people are wasting their lives on the streets, and it's a shame. It's true that if you're talented enough, you don't need a degree to be successful.
Nevertheless, most employers today cannot measure their employees' intelligence in a better way than relying on their education. Not every job requires you to have a degree, but almost every employer would prefer a worker with one.

There are quite a few people who have degrees who are dumb. I've met a few... they might know some things, of course, They might even be good at some things as well. But just having a degree means nothing. Unless it's Ph.D (or maybe a masters), which requires considerable effort and knowledge.

But a bachelors? associates? Virtually anyone can get those. One person I met, has gotten his IT Bachelor degree before me. He constantly tell me things about how to do work and stuff. Every time I listen, it's hard not to notice that he has pretty much no clue what he's talking about. At this point, you might think, maybe he's just not good at explaining.... and I have given him this benefit of the doubt. But after seeing him work... I really can't any more. I'm not saying I'm far smarter than him, either. There are way too much I don't know to claim that, but  I do think I have him beat when it comes to our IT Jobs. He's already... dismissed and the job I'm at seems almost impossible to be dismissed from. (Though, I don't think they dismissed him for the right reasons.)

I might sound like a jerk for saying that, but it's true and my co-workers tend to agree, vehemently and I believe they are all rather smart.

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Waffles are pretty great
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 04:09:29 PM »
I scored high enough on my entrance placement test that I don't need any general education for my major.

I'll finish my major in a single year. I'll have a certificate of completion in Digital Media Arts.

I won't even turn 19 yet, and I'll finish my major.

I have no idea what to do after that.

I'll probably switch to an Art degree, or something.

This is still my first semester, so I'm still deciding on what I'm going to do.

I do want to make video games for a living. Something to do with computer animation.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 05:11:21 PM »
What school are you going to? I would of thought that general studies is required regardless.  If not, good for you. That's kickass.

As for getting started on a career to make games, I would recommend you start now, right away, and just make things to make things or find a group to work with. Holding it off will probably bite you later on. As far as I can tell, you really need a portfolio to do well, so starting early would help you tremendously. Like join in on some of the little stuff here or on gameartisans website or gamedev and find a group.

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: So I'm a student now
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 06:57:06 PM »
Like join in on some of the little stuff here

Of course you wouldn't put the stuff that you've made for a fangame into a portfolio though, it shows a disregard for copyright which is probably not something any potential employer would be looking for & also doesn't show off your creativity very much either.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:00:27 PM by C Belmont »

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 07:48:09 PM »
No, not for fan games... but it gives you more experience.  And anything that isn't used is probably safe game.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 12:03:04 AM »
Right now I am going to pierce college in hopes of doing a transfer to a good school. My major is focused around law,criminal justice and stuff. the classes I am taking right now are political science 1, phliosophy 1, history, and oceanography. I believe after that I just need to take my english class and math then I should be set to move foward.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 07:31:35 AM »
What school are you going to? I would of thought that general studies is required regardless.  If not, good for you. That's kickass.

As for getting started on a career to make games, I would recommend you start now, right away, and just make things to make things or find a group to work with. Holding it off will probably bite you later on. As far as I can tell, you really need a portfolio to do well, so starting early would help you tremendously. Like join in on some of the little stuff here or on gameartisans website or gamedev and find a group.
Kale is somewhat correct. Definetely start networking, GamaSutra is another online site you should join.
I scored high enough on my entrance placement test that I don't need any general education for my major.

I'll finish my major in a single year. I'll have a certificate of completion in Digital Media Arts.

I won't even turn 19 yet, and I'll finish my major.

I have no idea what to do after that.

I'll probably switch to an Art degree, or something.

This is still my first semester, so I'm still deciding on what I'm going to do.

I do want to make video games for a living. Something to do with computer animation.

If you are serious about learning to get into the game industry, I can tell you from experience that you need to start learning and looking at, photoshop, 3ds max, maya, udk, and z brush. Just to start. Since you are young you get to start earlier than most. You can go to autodesk.com on their student page and get maya or max for free, udk is also a free download. You have some experience with media arts, so you should transition pretty well into game design. Good luck!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 10:12:57 AM »
I have my baclaureate in East Asian culture and history. I work at a gas station. Do I think college is useless for the most part? Yes. Do I think you should never go to college? No. Two of my best friends were met in freshman and sophomore year in college. Even if you don't study, it's worthwhile for the people you meet. I don't talk to any of my high school friends. Sure, we post comments on Facebook once in a while, but I talk in person and hang out in person only with my college buddies these days. You don't know who you are and what you want from other people until after high school, until you're on your own, so to speak, without your parents. Yes, the institution is a rip-off, but it's worth it for the experience. Just like root canals.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 11:04:28 AM »
Yes, the institution is a rip-off, but it's worth it for the experience. Just like root canals.

Awesome quote, my friend. XD XD XD XD

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 11:14:16 AM »
I'm currently doing two extra years of high school in order to go to university. I already graduated but I have to do it on a higher level this time.  :( 

Offline Sonic_Reaper

• The Elusive
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Dorian Tokici
    • Awards
Re: So I'm a student now
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 12:12:54 PM »
Four year degree in Fine Arts, with Studio Art major.  Waste of time?  Not really.  But I do regret it somewhat.  The only reason I went was due to pressure from family and society.  I don't even need my degree for what I want to accomplish (indie game development).  But such is life.  At least I can say I have a BFA, I guess.

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 12:38:24 AM »

General studies IS required. I simply scored high enough on my placement test to not need them. I scored college level calculus in math and the highest possible placement for English.

I've gotten into scratch, if that even counts. My sig has a link called Sword of Sorrow RPG.

It's not exactly an RPG game, however.

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 08:27:59 AM »
Currently in Kyoto, Japan studying Japanese. Will move to Osaka, Japan after to study Game Design at HAL.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 09:15:37 PM »
in a Technical Collage studying Culinary, I might change my major to computer engineering since I really enjoy builing/rebuilding computers.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2011, 02:06:12 AM »
Currently in Kyoto, Japan studying Japanese. Will move to Osaka, Japan after to study Game Design at HAL.

Same company behind Kirby and Arcana?

I love those games.

Tags: