Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Will Giant Desktop PCs eventually become Mini PCs, Tablets and Netbooks?  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
I saw the new horrendously overpriced $5000.00 Mac Pro which seems to have similar hardware to most PCs now a days. Only one difference. Its smaller than most gigantic pc towers. This seems to be a trend as Google also has their Chromebox. So in the future if people are still building PCs and want to have more powerful ones, do you guys think the hardware and cases will be smaller?

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Re: Will Giant Desktop PCs eventually become Mini PCs, Tablets and Netbooks?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 03:42:05 PM »
No. We could do mini pcs since years ago, but only a few exist. Why? Because when you can do something smaller, you can do something with the normal size but better. Look at these multi-cores processors and these graphic cards that needs more coolers. If people stop being ambitious (not only money, but enhancement) then yes.

I think that it only will happen when we reach a point where 3D becomes totally perfect in every sense. But then they will need to work in more areas, because they will want to do a holographic system that requires more processing power LOL

Yeah, its a mess. If you are lookin for mini pcs it already exists, I've read about a PC that. Here it is http://www.rikomagic.co.uk/
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 04:22:56 PM »
Apple loves making their machines smaller because it cuts costs for them and looks "sleeker/cooler". But for anyone who is really knowledgeable and enthusiastic about hardware there are advantages in bigger towers, mainly that it makes customization/upgrading a lot easier. Apple products are always way overpriced in terms of what they deliver in power. Apple doesn't really innovate they just refine and introduce recent ideas to a wide audience and pretend they came up with it. So yeah small proprietary PC etc. probably will be very popular in the future but as long as there are professionals and hobbyists who need that power and customizability I think there will be at least a niche market for good'ole bulky towers.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 05:08:34 PM »
Big towers will always be necessary unless computer parts become ultra tiny themselves.

OSes with tablets in mind, while on the rise, are cumbersome in that you can't multi-task/have multiple windows and tabs open at once.

Computers becoming smaller is neat, and there is a need for more streamlined devices (I'm enjoying all the things my Wii U can do), but they're just not ideal for many things.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 05:14:10 PM »
Apple loves making their machines smaller because it cuts costs for them and looks "sleeker/cooler". But for anyone who is really knowledgeable and enthusiastic about hardware there are advantages in bigger towers, mainly that it makes customization/upgrading a lot easier. Apple products are always way overpriced in terms of what they deliver in power. Apple doesn't really innovate they just refine and introduce recent ideas to a wide audience and pretend they came up with it. So yeah small proprietary PC etc. probably will be very popular in the future but as long as there are professionals and hobbyists who need that power and customizability I think there will be at least a niche market for good'ole bulky towers.

Well that's the only plus to an Apple Desktop like the Pro. That its a fancy design. There's far more negatives in buying Apple Desktops than positive. Cost being a major one as you said. I had my PC put together for about $600.00 with everything and it has a 6 core processor and decent HD Video Card and its not $5000.00 like the Mac Pro.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 05:26:29 PM by Johnny »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 05:14:28 AM »
I don't think that will happen in a tropical country! It is hard keeping my tower cool without air conditioning.

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 09:11:55 AM »
I don't think that will happen in a tropical country! It is hard keeping my tower cool without air conditioning.

Yes thats true and some people who overclock their machines to death, need giant cooling systems that would only be feasible for a large tower.

Tags:

anything