Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The original Castlevania canon characters are underrated with newer fans  (Read 4240 times)

Offline DraculaFan1981

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Does anyone find it really strange that people are now bashing the original versions of iconic Castlevania characters in order to praise their Netflix counterparts? I mean, no judgement, I like most of the Netflix versions and I think characters like Sypha, Carmilla and Isaac are improvements over their original counterparts, but classic Alucard and Hector had some depth to them that's largely ignored because new fans just dismiss them. The Castlevania radio drama, Nocturne of Recollection and the Curse of Darkness manga really fleshed out OG Alucard and Hector, but newer fans seem to ignore that and insist that the Netflix versions are better, which is really unfortunate in my opinion. I think a lot of the people that complain about the OG characters don't really understand them and are part of a larger problem of dismissing video games as a whole.

I appreciate and respect the effort on Warren Ellis (even if I personally can't stand the guy), Adi Shankar and the Deats brothers' part when it comes to putting their own spin on their versions of Castlevania characters and even if there's a lot I disagree with and trust me, there's a lot, I genuinely like the fact that they're committed to telling their own story using the games as a base. I'm genuinely interested in a potentially villainous Alucard and am hoping that all the abuse Hector went through has a cathartic ending. Honestly, and this might be a little personal on my part, but I can't stand the pretentious wannabe writing "experts" that try to dismiss the original characters when Adi Shankar and the Deats brothers respect said characters and the franchise they come from. In fact, other than Warren Ellis, Netflixvania is a labor of love by Castlevania fans since the most obscure things are referenced by the animation team and again, I can respect that, despite disagreeing with some choices and the cultural clashes that always come from western takes on Japanese franchises, but hey, I can get over that, after all, I liked Lords of Shadow for the most part from a narrative perspective.

While I agree that Netflixvania benefits from its medium since the characters have more dialogue and time to develop outside the action, I think it's unfair to outright dismiss the source material. I'm posting this because I feel this sub's gonna be full of weirdness when season 4 comes out and there are people who genuinely dismiss the source material. I think more eloquent people can describe the surprising depth of the original characters in the comments better than I can, so if you have a defence of them as well, I'd like to hear it.

As a Devil May Cry fan, this is almost exactly what happened when the franchise was rebooted as DmC: Devil May Cry, a bunch of new fans that hated the source material and made it a point to attack the previous characters for being poorly written despite DMC3 having a much stronger despite being simpler narrative. It was the same type of people, pretentious pseudo-intellectuals who acted like they had degrees in writing. Though to be fair to Netflixvania, it's not as big a departure as DmC was, despite it being set in a different continuity as well.

Anyways, I hope we can all get along and that us old fans don't gatekeep and new fans respect the source material. I know fandom wars haven't happened since the first half of last year, but I'm afraid it might happen again soon.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Who/where are these people that are bashing the original canon & praising the Netflix show? I don’t know of any other CV forum that’s still relevant. Unless there’s a topic on a subreddit forum somewhere that I’m unaware of

The only other encounter I have had with newbies was on instagram, every time I search the hashtag #castlevania it’s nothing but Netflix CV cosplayers, fanart, etc. sometimes I see original CV stuff but mostly Netflix

Anyway I recall a similar thing happening when Lords of Shadow was first announced over 10 years ago. We had a bunch of new fans flooding in saying it’s a “return to form” and that us OGs need to accept this new canon over the old one. They were bashing the metroidvania formula, Kojima’s art style, you name it. Coincidentally these days there’s a thirst for the “metroidvania” style to come back. So as you can guess those people are pretty much all gone now

Offline DraculaFan1981

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Who/where are these people that are bashing the original canon & praising the Netflix show? I don’t know of any other CV forum that’s still relevant. Unless there’s a topic on a subreddit forum somewhere that I’m unaware of

The only other encounter I have had with newbies was on instagram, every time I search the hashtag #castlevania it’s nothing but Netflix CV cosplayers, fanart, etc. sometimes I see original CV stuff but mostly Netflix

Anyway I recall a similar thing happening when Lords of Shadow was first announced over 10 years ago. We had a bunch of new fans flooding in saying it’s a “return to form” and that us OGs need to accept this new canon over the old one. They were bashing the metroidvania formula, Kojima’s art style, you name it. Coincidentally these days there’s a thirst for the “metroidvania” style to come back. So as you can guess those people are pretty much all gone now
It's mostly the Castlevania subreddit and twitter to be honest and it's kinda tiring. And yeah, I remember the Lords of Shadow fallout, we had two very aggressive users on this forum that would shit on anything IGA related so they can hype up LoS, it was weird. I'm enjoying the Metroidvania boom to be honest.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
I frequent the Castlevania subreddit all the time and don't see anyone talking down on the original characters in favor of the netflix ones, on the contrary when it comes to say Hector for instance I constantly see topics begging for the netflix show to make Hector as badazz as his game counterpart. But maybe I missed some of those topics, care to post a link to a subreddit topic in particular that does this?

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline DraculaFan1981

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
I frequent the Castlevania subreddit all the time and don't see anyone talking down on the original characters in favor of the netflix ones, on the contrary when it comes to say Hector for instance I constantly see topics begging for the netflix show to make Hector as badazz as his game counterpart. But maybe I missed some of those topics, care to post a link to a subreddit topic in particular that does this?
It happened all the time back in March of last year and some people were really aggressive about it. There are a few posts on my thread in the subreddit.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
There are a few posts on my thread in the subreddit.

Can you post a link to it? Would like to see what was being said.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
I saw you post this on the subreddit. Honestly the only bashing I saw was because in the Netflix series, Hector is being characterized much differently than in the games, and honestly it's not for the better so far.

Offline DraculaFan1981

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
I saw you post this on the subreddit. Honestly the only bashing I saw was because in the Netflix series, Hector is being characterized much differently than in the games, and honestly it's not for the better so far.

I agree, Hector's a much better character in the games and the Curse of Darkness manga makes him even better.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Seems to me social media is chock full of sycophantic opinions that blindly follow trends and virtue signalling.
So bashing the original characters wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
But, I hate nearly everything about THAT show.
I don't see any new characterizations in it as any kind of improvement because to me these are new characters that are unrecognizable except by the name tags that were placed on them.
"Stuff and things."

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Coincidentally these days there’s a thirst for the “metroidvania” style to come back.
Hell, there's a thirst for anything to come back that isn't a Pachinko machine or mobile game...any sign of life that ISN'T a remaster/collection etc would be great.
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
OG AL FTW

Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
For every fandom there are assholes. The larger the fandom the more assholes. Especially at this time and age where it is easier to shit on anything online. And there are a certain amount of people who just thrive on shitting on things for no reason than to stir the soup.

I still consider the CV fandom to be small enough that you can pinpoint whose who are the bashers.

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I Have No Idea Where I'm Going
    • Castlevania: The Inverted Dungeon
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: The original Castlevania canon characters are underrated with newer fans
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2021, 08:22:59 AM »
Most of our assholes ended up running the joint, lol.

Tags:

anything