Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: New Getsu Fuma Den Game on Steam  (Read 3390 times)

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« on: April 15, 2021, 06:44:31 AM »
Castlevania’s sister franchise Getsu Fuma Den is finally getting a new game on steam.  I hope they throw in some Castlevania easter eggs.  They really ought to localize the original now.

https://www.pcgamer.com/konami-is-reviving-an-old-8-bit-series-but-its-not-castlevania/

EDIT:  Oh, I see there’s already a thread for this in Hardcore Gaming.  I figured this game was close enough to a Castlevania game to be mentioned in this forum, but we can get rid of this thread if it’s a duplicate.

Original thread:

https://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=9938.0
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 07:10:57 AM by Reinhart77 »

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 10:25:44 AM »
Yeah, I saw the trailer. Looks pretty fun.

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 11:56:35 AM »
I see that it’s being done by an indie studio.  I’m assuming this would decrease the chance of Castlevania Easter Eggs since they probably don’t have a Castlevania license, but you never know.  Hopefully we’ll get to see a Simon whip skeleton at the very least.  I wonder if there will be an inventory system and if maybe an equipable item or two from a Castlevania Metroidvania game might appear. 

I find it interesting that they’re taking a page from Castlevania and making this a “clan vs resurrected final boss” franchise (unless it already was one, I’ll have to look at the original game’s backstory).  Wonder if the original gear is inheritable.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 12:03:24 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline Holy Diver

• Have been down too long in the midnight seas
  • Vampire Hunter
  • You probably don't know what I mean tho
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 12:56:35 PM »
+1
From the teaser it seems that there will be some equipable stuff. The subweapons seem to be the same at all times but at the very least the main weapon is changeable. And from some other promotional videos on youtube it seems that there's another playable character, tho it doesn't seem like she plays drasticaly different than Fuma other than dual wielding her main weapons.
Gotta get away

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 08:44:30 PM »
Cool.  I ought to play some Fuma related Harmony of Despair to psych myself for this game.  If given a choice between a new Fuma game and a new Castlevania game, I think I’d rather get a new Fuma game first just because it’s long overdue and I feel it’s something Konami wants Castlevania fans to care about.  As long as a new Castlevania game isn’t too far behind it, that is. 

It’s also interesting that Konami is describing it as a type of “vania” game.  Have they ever done that before?  I’ll bet they’ll never describe a game as an Igavania though, lol.  Or is that just the indie developer calling it a roguevania?  That wouldn’t be too surprising.

Oh, and I seem to have been off about the story.  I thought it took place 1000 years after the first game, but this one article describes it as remake.  It seems to take place 1000 years after the first leader of the Getsu clan (Trevor Belmont analog) destroyed the final boss.  I’m guessing that means we’ll play as Fuma (Simon analog) again, and whoever the new character is.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamereactor.eu/amp/konami-is-bringing-back-this-classic-famicom-title-from-the-grave/

Here’s a link with the most information on the game I’ve seen:

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/11006-konami-announces-roguevania-getsufumaden-undying-moon

EDIT:  And now I see it’s confirmed to actually be a sequel and not a remake.  Boy reading articles with conflicting information can be confusing. It takes place 1000 years after the original.  Not sure what the names of the playable characters are.  The official page shows two character profiles, but they seem to be background characters.  The story is about Fuma’s descendants.

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/getsufumaden-undying-moon-exclusive-interview
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 09:52:31 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline Hayoam

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 02:28:25 PM »
Amazing, I remember beating it.
It was a short game but Amazing, Ryukotsuki wasn't as powerful as in Harmony of Despair.  ;D

Offline DJ_BORG

• Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 06:25:47 PM »
+1
Man, I am so hyped for this as I'm a huge fan of the Famicom original. Glad Konami is paying attention to their older titles they really haven't had any sort of sequels. Praying they'll do something with Ai Senshi Nicol as well.

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 10:15:06 PM »
Seems like they will be releasing the original on Switch etc at some point next year in addition to steam beta testers getting to get the japanese original for free.  I sure hope they localize it though and that it comes out early enough to get to play for a while before the new game comes out.  That scenario would feel kinda like Curse of the Moon coming out slightly before Bloodstained Ritual of the Night.

Offline DJ_BORG

• Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 11:37:03 AM »
+1
According to the official Discord server, the FC version will only have the menus translated. Which is fine because you do not need to understand Japanese to play this game as it's dialogue is very basic stuff other than the intro story.

Offline Reinhart77

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 06:34:55 PM »
According to the official Discord server, the FC version will only have the menus translated. Which is fine because you do not need to understand Japanese to play this game as it's dialogue is very basic stuff other than the intro story.
Oh that’s too bad, but I’m very thankful for translated menus at least.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 07:35:19 AM »
+1
Neat. I really dig the ukiyo-e art style, but they really need to cool it with the effects.
Most of the time I can't see anything happening after a hit is landed.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 08:34:54 PM »
They toned down the blood effects and it's pretty good now. I'm not going through the whole game until it's out of early access to keep from spoiling myself, but from what I played 'twas pretty fun.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2021, 02:50:47 PM »
+1
I'm kind of burnt out on the whole every-enemy-requires-multiple-hits-to-kill shtick. And what's with numbers popping up on every hit? That's too much pointless screen clutter. On top of that, imagine how much more speed they could get out of the graphics pipeline if they got rid of all that crap. I get that it was a part of SOTN, but I hated it even back then. I dig the art style and totally fell in love with the backgrounds and enemy designs, but they need to fire whoever decided to put damage numbers into the battle mechanics like that.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Tags: