Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Konami considering new Castlevania game on Switch. Harmony of Despair 2 ?  (Read 8922 times)

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/konami-is-thinking-about-bringing-a-new-castlevania-game-to-the-switch.1461387/

discussions are ongoing, the TV/animated series is an influence.   

they could use Harmony of Despair, double the amount of chapters, playable characters (and feature animated series Trevor and Sypha included in the roster),
new loot, enemies, bosses, and retain the 6 players co-op and 4 players local co-op, and call it Castlevania Harmony of Despair 2.  :)

Offline aensland

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Music Concert 1st Place 2017-02-Music Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
Thankfully you don't work for Konami.

Offline Castle34hk

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
This suprise me a CV game for switch? YES of course but most be a good one.

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Isn't the article referenced involving a quote from nearly a year ago?

This isn't news that they're entertaining a new game to capitalize on the show. What's news is even thinking Harmony of Despair is a route they want to follow instead of an IGAvania or Classicvania game.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Harmony of Despair 2 would be the perfect book-end to the last 8 years of terrible decisions regarding this franchise.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Well at least they're inferring learning from the mistakes of the past.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

HD was liked?

news to me

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)

HD was liked?

news to me

kekeke

yeah i hope it's a single player title. won't buy if it contains any microtransactions.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
yeah i hope it's a single player title. won't buy if it contains any microtransactions.

They'd seriously consider implementing micro-transactions if it means more money in their pockets. This is Konami we're talking about after all.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
They'd seriously consider implementing micro-transactions if it means more money in their pockets. This is Konami we're talking about after all.

Make a Classicvania, but make lives a stamina system from gacha games, but you can get around it via microtransactions.

This sounds like such a terrible idea, but this Konami; they charge money for save slots now.

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
haters keep hating.   Harmony of Despair is still the longest played Castlevania game ever, the most fun and replayable, also one of the greatest co-op games and fans played it on x360 and PS3.  and PS3 still has some people playing it with friends online.   ;D

so there.     Harmony of Despair is the perfect direction for the series, combining classic stage based timed Castlevania gaming, with nonlinear Rondo/IGAvania level designs, the greatest selection of playable characters, and epic 6 players co-op (and the netcode actually is one of the greatest in gaming history, especially when even some AAA games struggle to maintain 4 players co-op without lag. well yea HD is not flawless online, but over the years playing it, it's one of the most stable online experiences, even with 6 players. )

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
haters keep hating.   Harmony of Despair is still the longest played Castlevania game ever, the most fun and replayable, also one of the greatest co-op games and fans played it on x360 and PS3.  and PS3 still has some people playing it with friends online.   ;D

so there.     Harmony of Despair is the perfect direction for the series, combining classic stage based timed Castlevania gaming, with nonlinear Rondo/IGAvania level designs, the greatest selection of playable characters, and epic 6 players co-op (and the netcode actually is one of the greatest in gaming history, especially when even some AAA games struggle to maintain 4 players co-op without lag. well yea HD is not flawless online, but over the years playing it, it's one of the most stable online experiences, even with 6 players. )

Longest played by whose quantification of time? People are still playing the original Castlevania, speedruns and lets plays are a thing, so is retro gaming. Longest played also =/= most successful. LOS is the most commercially successful CV game, which in the long run didn't necessarily benefit the series or itself overall.

I don't believe people are "hating", they're just not necessarily looking for what's already been done. Despair's redeeming factor is that it potentially peaks consumers' interest in other games throughout the series. However, there hasn't been a new classicvania or Igavania out in a very long time and this also isn't the generation where anyone but retrogamers wants to hunt down several past gen consoles and spend copious amounts of money to play old games. The age of technology is the age of ease, consumers demand mobility and accessibility, not because they're demanding, but because this is commonly offered with mobile technology.

The smart thing to do and test the waters is to offer a CV collection as one whole game for the switch. That way the portability aspect is covered, and covers consumers not having to buy games online across several consoles. If they include an updated version of Despair, then great. But I don't feel it will be purely centred around Despair, because it's not what made Castlevania what it is, nor is it the core of the original franchise.

LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
Bloodstained Ritual of the Night is taking so long to get released, that I half wonder if we'll see a new Castlevania game before it actually gets released.  Not that I'm complaining, I'm patient, really.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
[everything affinity said]

found the fanboy with blinders on

has nothing to do with hating

has to do with i think the following setup is fucking garbage and not what i look for in a cv title (note: image is--hopefully obviously--satirical and not meant to be taken entirely seriously)

you like it? good for you, i'm happy you find enjoyment in something i myself consider to be worthless garbage that completely misses the mark of the series as a whole

but don't sit there and pull the "lol h8rs r my motiv8tors" idiocy, because you clearly are missing the point of what HD was aiming to do:

it's not "the perfect direction for the series" because it was never meant to follow the singleplayer adventures and narratives of its predecessors--it was meant to be a "sit back, have fun, don't think too hard about the logistics of it, invite your friends, enjoy tearing through the castle in a way that would clearly never happen in quite this manner in the "normal" branch of the series" kind of game, and that's exactly what it is

and--gasp--i don't happen to like what HD is or what it meant to accomplish, holy shiiiiiiiiiit batman!

you do? fantastic, i'm genuinely happy for you to find something you enjoy

i don't, and i'd appreciate you not jumping straight to the anti-hater argument bullshit just because i don't happen to like your favorite vidyagaem

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:16:27 AM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
@Dracula9 I agree with your comments on how Despair is supposed to be taken ie not as CV's sliced bread, but as a "fuckit lets have some fun" game.

Also I lol'd at the image, especially the boss stuck inside the wall cavity #lolgic
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:44:04 AM by zangetsu468 »