Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Bonfires  (Read 5734 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: August 13, 2012, 07:57:42 PM »
Bonfires kick ass, agreed?

Gonna fire up this pile on Saturday:

Except that's just most of what I got on there today. There's still a lot more branches and heavy lumber to throw on there before the weekend.

It actually stretches pretty far in the back, so it's not a complete circle.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 08:32:32 PM »
Please don't tell me you're going to throw the cat on it as well.  :o (Is that your cat, freak?)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 10:28:32 PM »
He's kinda our cat. He was a stray that took a liking to us, and now hangs around our yard all the time except for some daily excursions. Mostly just hangs out on the property, though, and eats food my sister leaves out for him. Kills mice, shrews, and squirrels too, so that's nice. Also kills a bat or pretty bird from time to time—not so nice.

Super cuddly guy and kind 'n' playful as can be. His left eye was all goopy a few days ago so my sister took him to a vet and found out he's got a corneal ulcer. Got some eyedrops for that, hoping it takes care of the problem. His eye looks better, but in the meantime it's perpetually dilated so when he doesn't have it closed 'cos of the sun, he looks kinda freakish.

But yeah, awesome cat, and I like that he's hung around for over a year now. Constantly teases our outdoor (chained, unfenced) dog, though. I hope our husky never gets to the little guy; she's bit into him once or twice, though not badly. He usually gives her a good scratching on the nose when she gets close, plus he sprints faster than she does.

SO YEAH. The little bastard kept wanting to go in the wood pile like it was his house or something. I hope he's not in there when we set fire to the thing, 'cos it's gonna go up fast.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 10:30:31 PM »
We've also got this huge-ass tree that needs to come down:

So some or a lot of that will be burned, meaning I gotta drag pieces of the sumbitch aaaaaaall the way over to the wood pile. Hoping my dad and I don't get killed cutting it down...
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 11:36:38 PM »
There was this dead tree in front of my house that had this large branch hanging onto the tree by a sliver of tree bark, when we first bought the property in Fall 98.  We finally got it down in August 02. (the foundation was poured at the beginning of winter 02-03, house was completed by late July.)

Then there was the time last summer during a severe thunderstorm, a tree in the side yard split down the middle slightly. We had to cut off the whole right branch, and part of it impacted the garage roof when it was cut off of the tree. (No one hurt, and no damage to the roof)

But yeah, isn't the drought still not over yet?  Wouldn't your county have a burn ban in place?  :o
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:40:12 PM by Highwind Dragoon »

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 11:39:51 PM »
+1
Bonfires make me feel like I'm in Dark Souls.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 11:59:28 PM »
It's possible there's a burn ban. Considering it rained so much during June and July I would hope there's enough water around to have a big fire. Will have to check it out tomorrow. It's rained now and again in the past few weeks, but rather sparingly.

There's trees all over this friggin' place. Our old red oaks died due to oak wilt. That big guy in the backyard is one of the last standing of the really old ones. Thankfully none of these things have landed on any people, cars, or the house. Every summer and winter there's a bunch of big limbs coming down because my dad hasn't trimmed the branches for a few years now. Thinking I'll help him with that before the summer ends, lolz.

Few years back, it was a really windy day and as I walked under this huge tree with branches sprawled all over the place, I looked up to see it swaying about and thought to myself, "If this falls now, will I be able to run and jump out of the way of its thick branches?" Ten minutes later I look out the window of the bakery and see the whole thing come crashing down, completely uprooted. Yikes.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:02:25 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 09:14:05 AM »
Yeah, several years ago, this big tree fell down during a heavy thunder/wind storm.  If it fell the other way, it would've crashed through the front of our house.  :o :o :o

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 09:50:08 AM »
+1
Bonfires are always interesting. They've been part of human tradition ever since the stone age. But personally if I were you Abnormal Freak I'd find a more dryer spot for the fire. The image shows lots of potential fuel sources that are not a part of the fire. I find that the best and safest places for such big fires are on sandy on rocky terrain with no fuel source except for what's in the fire pit. So it would be a really good idea to bring along a set of powerful fire extinguishers. But other then that, have fun!  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 10:38:43 AM »
It's really sandy there, there's just weeds growing in the fire pit. It's pretty far from the surrounding trees, and we've had plenty of fires this big, some even bigger, and have yet to burn the neighborhood down. :)

Stuff to put out a hazard is always nearby, though.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 10:45:13 AM »
Well, good luck with that. Bonfires do kick ass. Make sure you have enough sausages, onions and potatoes, oh and obviously beer!
Try not to burn yourself in the process, and post photos!  :P
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 10:46:58 AM »
Yeah, pics or it didn't happen.  :P

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 10:53:02 AM »
I intend to take some pics. :o

These fires are kind of a challenge to roast any food. Totally gonna cook some weenies. Even when most of the wood has been burned and it's just coals, it's damned hot and you gotta shield your face. Fun, though.

Not sure now if it'll be this weekend or the one after. Gotta see what works best for my friends.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 11:38:45 AM »
These fires are kind of a challenge to roast any food. Totally gonna cook some weenies. Even when most of the wood has been burned and it's just coals, it's damned hot and you gotta shield your face. Fun, though.

Easy. Wrap some potatoes in aluminum, toss them into the fire and then use a rod to take them out before they've turned into charcoal. Ohhhhh yeah hahahaha
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 05:56:53 PM »
+1
Well, good luck with that. Bonfires do kick ass. Make sure you have enough sausages, onions and potatoes, oh and obviously beer!

How could you forget about those chocolate S'mores and Marshmallows?
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: