Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Hellsing  (Read 5793 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 08:37:09 AM »
Integra is one horribly frigid bitch in the anime. And it seemed to like Alucard is serving her only because he's bored and / or despises all other vampires.
Yeah they cut out a lot of her emotions in the TV show. I still liked her in it, as much as I liked anything from that production, but she was way better in the source material and later adaptations. She's by far my favorite character in the franchise if you couldn't tell.

Also, what kind of name is Seras for a girl anyway? I'd rather call her Victoria.

She's just "Police Girl" until she wises up! Lol eh I like the name but like I said they got her wrong in the TV series.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 09:10:48 AM by Ratty »

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 06:19:39 PM »
likely  a corruption or derivative  of sera or seraphim.
"Stuff and things."

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 07:29:36 PM »
Or Ceres.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 08:33:19 PM »
Yeah the names are a little odd in the series and I don't think the official primary translations are accepted as accurate by some in the community, at least for certain characters. Ceras/Seras/Ceres is one I've seen as is Walter's last name (Dornez? Dolnez?) and Integra's first (Integra, Integral?**). Of course sometimes people are just being stupid, like insisting Alucard should actually be Arucard because that's how the Japanese pronounce/spell it. Making it worse is that I've seen official translations for various merchandise use many of these conflicting translations, including "Arucard".

Of course sometimes it's hard to tell where funky translations end and purposeful decisions begin. Take Integra(l)'s title of "Sir". Technically if she's Knighted her title should be "Dame", and I think that would also be true if she were a Baroness, which she may be. But considering her traditionally masculine personality, appearance and job it's not unthinkable that she would choose to go by "Sir" rather than Dame. Or it's possible Kouta Hirano just didn't research that part very much. So who knows.

**If the latter translation is true does it stand for something? She's "Integral" to what? The Hellsing organization? Alucard? The plot itself? And if it's supposed to be "Integra" is it a corruption of "Integrity"?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 08:48:29 PM by Ratty »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 01:09:31 AM »
The subtitles for both the TV series and OVA on the US DVDs and Blu-rays have Alucard's name as "Arucard" and it makes me RAAAAAAAAAGE! I hate stupid shit like that in subs, just as I hate Japanese-specific honorifics being intact. Just do the best job of translating it to plain English and let it be.

But some people (weeaboos) absolutely insist on suffixes like "-san" and "-kun" being included. Burn them all.

As for "Sir Hellsing," they actually call her that in the Japanese audio—as in the voice actors say "Sir Hellsing."
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 01:23:38 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 07:25:09 AM »
Integra is an odd name, but at least it's a feminine name, ending with -a.
In many languages female names almost always end with an "a", especially East European languages. I suppose this is because many female names are basically female versions of male names like Claudius - Claudia, Silvio - Silvia, and so forth.

And as for the Japanese, hehe.

South Park - City Wok vs City Sushi
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 11:15:33 AM »
As for "Sir Hellsing," they actually call her that in the Japanese audio—as in the voice actors say "Sir Hellsing."
Yeah I just mean it's not 100% clear if that was a conscious character decision to make her more masculine or if it's the result of Hirano not initially knowing knighted women are called "Dame" rather than "Sir". I'd say it's probably the former though, considering she's shown to have become more manly in dress and habit after her uncle tried to kill her and she was saved by Alucard when she was a dress-wearing (and presumably non-smoking) young lady. I seem to recall the director for the English dub mentioning in a few interviews that he asked Hirano about the whole Sir/Dame thing among many other questions when they met, but I don't believe he's ever said what Hirano's response to that specific question was.

Also I didn't know the official dub used "Arucard" since I've not watched the OVA's dubbed in gosh, 4 or 5 years probably. Though the box for the Alucard figurine I got with the limited edition of volume 1 does have "Arucard" emblazoned on it in big stupid letters down the side, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. (Also the figurine is prominently advertised as being in "USA Exclusive coloring!" You painted it boring black instead of red, well done boys. Do you want a golf clap? The Anderson figurine that came with volume 3 is quite nice though.)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 11:24:28 AM by Ratty »

Tags: