Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Chronicles - Dracula's Curse  (Read 274134 times)

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania Chronicles - Dracula's Curse
« Reply #270 on: September 03, 2013, 02:52:23 PM »
To me it seems that their boobs are becoming smaller and larger lol
But its clearly on the right path, you are almost there :)

Where did you see that? I can't see it........
(click to show/hide)
Ruler of Chaos

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #271 on: September 03, 2013, 03:51:20 PM »
No. I'm not using references. I don't like using references for human characters. Adding breathing to the guy sprite is easy because the size is 2x bigger than sypha's sprite.

Those spriting tutorials are great. Added to my favorites. Thanks
WHAT?! Dude, ALWAYS use references. Any serious artist will be able to easily flaws in your work. When you work with reference you will really start to be a accomplished sprite artist and your animations and proportions will be correct too!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #272 on: September 03, 2013, 05:16:46 PM »
Any serious artist will be able to easily flaws in your work. When you work with reference you will really start to be a accomplished sprite artist and your animations and proportions will be correct too!

I'll take the risk. Yes, you can be aware of proportions by using references, but that's not the only way to go. Proportions can be memorized. Anatomy can be memorized. I don't see the need of using models/refernces everytime. I do like not using references everytime, it's a sort of challengue to me. Memory and imagination are also valid tools. Talking about spriting, there are tons of examples where proportion rules are broken for the artistic sake.

I know in the profesional world, references are used to create almost any 3d model you see in a video game.  Luckily, nobody has commented yet Sypha's proportions are bad. This is an interesting discussion, beyond the topic of this post.

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #273 on: September 03, 2013, 05:49:43 PM »
I agree. References are not always needed. Being able to do things off of the top of your head takes guts.

I use both methods when I work.

Kudos to you man!
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #274 on: September 03, 2013, 06:36:09 PM »
+2
Where did you see that? I can't see it........
(click to show/hide)

Try using this:

(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #275 on: September 03, 2013, 06:43:44 PM »
I'll take the risk. Yes, you can be aware of proportions by using references, but that's not the only way to go. Proportions can be memorized. Anatomy can be memorized. I don't see the need of using models/refernces everytime. I do like not using references everytime, it's a sort of challengue to me. Memory and imagination are also valid tools. Talking about spriting, there are tons of examples where proportion rules are broken for the artistic sake.

I know in the profesional world, references are used to create almost any 3d model you see in a video game.  Luckily, nobody has commented yet Sypha's proportions are bad. This is an interesting discussion, beyond the topic of this post.
Well as long as you are aware. No complaints here! lol

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #276 on: September 04, 2013, 01:25:54 AM »
+1
Well as long as you are aware. No complaints here! lol

hehe, no problem darkmanx, that's only my opinion. There's a lot of things i need to refine/improve about my spriting technique.

I agree. References are not always needed. Being able to do things off of the top of your head takes guts.

Yeah it's difficult, sometimes frustrating  >:(

To me it seems that their boobs are becoming smaller and larger lol

LOL. One single pixel can be a very powerful thing. Pervert glasses would be a cool item in an adult thematic CV. I'm trying to correct the boobs
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:29:32 AM by kaonstantine »

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #277 on: September 04, 2013, 05:10:39 AM »
LOL. One single pixel can be a very powerful thing. Pervert glasses would be a cool item in an adult thematic CV. I'm trying to correct the boobs
Try not to be so subtle and make the animation a little more powerful, like she is breathing heavy. Maybe, if you slightly animate that sliver of hair with the chest moving, I think it will sell it even more. With that said, I like this, I like this a lot!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:12:33 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #278 on: September 04, 2013, 08:00:57 AM »
I have to disagree with darkman, but only a little. I think you have it perfect now. I think a bigger breathing motion would be too much and unrealistic considering the pose that the character is in.

Great job Kao!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:16:44 AM by Jeffrey Montoya »
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #279 on: September 04, 2013, 09:45:18 AM »
Its much better now :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #280 on: September 06, 2013, 07:16:01 PM »
+3
Make her chunky with big knockers, then breathing heavier will fit in. Castlevania needs a chunky heroine with big knockers.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #281 on: September 19, 2013, 08:43:09 PM »
Hey dudes  8) Its been a minute since my last update, work has been crazy busy and i have a 5 and 7 year old that get slammed with homework  daily lol so i've been pretty slammed as of late.  But i've still crammed as much time into the game as possible  ;D i hooked my bud Darkman up with the beta and he was able to provide me with some fixes that i didnt have happen to me when i played it, but then again after testing it TO DEATH myself i tend to get used to how it controls lol. 

Here's some of what he mentioned/encountered:
Stairs - Got hung up in a freeze several times when trying to get on stairs.
FIXED!
Stairs - When using the magic attack, the player will levitate
FIXED!
Pain system - player wouldn't be hurt while on stairs, only after coming off of stairs
FIXED!
There's more suggestions as well and i am working on them right now.
There were a few myself that i wanted to implement or just overlooked since i hadn't took more than a day break from it in about a month lol:
Stairs - Add direction whip attacks and subweapon attacks
DONE!
The biggest single fix i've made since the beta have been completely revamping the stair system in general and THUS FAR i havent been able to find any bugs what so ever  ;D
I also added an evade for Trevor as well, this game definitely kicks your ass lol, so you need a means of escape from time to time  ;D
Now that i have fixed all of the major issues that Darkman found, i am going through each section and adding my new coding/sprites and really fine tuning the 1st level.  I am about ready to pass out haha, busy ass work, heineken and kids can do that to ya!  ;) So i had a good stopping point at block 1-5 (of 1-8).  Hopefully by tomorrow, but at the VERY LEAST this weekend i should have all the major fixes taken care of, i'll be sending out another beta and if all is well then the demo will follow shortly after  ;D
oh, btw forgot to mention this, for player controls i didn't want to just have a "Controls" txt file to pop up when needing reference, so i made an individual exe that is linked internally that when pressing either F12 or going to the "Controls" option, the game will pause and a new window pops up with all the keys described and you actually control the character while learning, very similar to how the new Devil May Cry system works when you test drive new abilities.  And Kaonstantine, just like every other piece, you continue to impress and i wouldn't be able to complete this project without you! Friggin gnarly job mane! 8) I actually took a break from the coding today to add Sypha's idle animation to her set that you have hooked me up with so far.  I'll give you the exclusive beta when she's ready since you've hooked me up  8)  I'll make sure to get back at you guys ASAP with the beta details and i want to say thank you all, if it wasn't for your guys continued interest and anticipation/patience for this project i wouldn't be able to complete it  ;D - BMC
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 08:45:31 PM by BMC_War Machine »
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #282 on: September 23, 2013, 03:17:19 PM »
I saw the topic of this title and thought it was about my homebrew game/engine/alpha (which has exactly the same name, by the way).

Mine's been on hiatus for many years now but I still haven't given up hope.  Thread here:
**Clicky**

But congrats on the life-changing experiences, there.

I actually had to do a double take too on that. Its good to see other people have this idea and possibly plan to complete what we had in mind ages ago. More power to em` :). Beyond the R&D I did for our project I would have no idea how to complete something like this as my skills are severely lacking in most other things.

War Machine if you can pull this off and complete this game, my hat is off to you.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #283 on: September 23, 2013, 04:12:37 PM »
I actually had to do a double take too on that. Its good to see other people have this idea and possibly plan to complete what we had in mind ages ago. More power to em` :). Beyond the R&D I did for our project I would have no idea how to complete something like this as my skills are severely lacking in most other things.

War Machine if you can pull this off and complete this game, my hat is off to you.
Thanks Johnny, im DEFINITELY excited and eager to get this done!  I got as far as the courtyard and my external HDD crashed and i lost EVERYTHING! I was PISSED at first but in the end, it was the best thing that could've happened, i made it even better than before.  Thanks to Kaonstantine i have Sypha now but the only hold up after that will be Grant.  I can't sprite to save my life lol, i do decent at making backgrounds i think  ;D i just pray someone will step in and give me a hand with Grant.
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #284 on: September 23, 2013, 04:27:53 PM »
Thanks Johnny, im DEFINITELY excited and eager to get this done!  I got as far as the courtyard and my external HDD crashed and i lost EVERYTHING! I was PISSED at first but in the end, it was the best thing that could've happened, i made it even better than before.  Thanks to Kaonstantine i have Sypha now but the only hold up after that will be Grant.  I can't sprite to save my life lol, i do decent at making backgrounds i think  ;D i just pray someone will step in and give me a hand with Grant.

I mean Jorge has some sprites from our old project but whether or not he will give them up is another story. I suppose it never hurts to ask though. There's a lot of material there that's just laying stagnant. Still I don't know if Jorge plans to get a programmer to finish it all......

Tags:

anything