Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC  (Read 145932 times)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/03/1...-leaves-konami

Koji Igarashi, best known for his work on Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, has left Konami. His last day at the Japanese developer was Saturday, March 15.

The producer departed the studio with intent to open a new development studio.

"I've decided to break out on my own to have the freedom to make the kind of games I really want to make -- the same kind I think fans of my past games want as well," Igarashi told IGN. "Leaving Konami was a big decision, and not one I took lightly – I’ve spent my entire career there, made many friends, and had a lot of great opportunities – but I hope all the gamers and fans who have supported me in the past will join me in being excited about what comes next. Wish me luck!”

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 08:11:01 AM »
+5
I wondered why this hadn't been posted yet. You were making it the same time I was. As goes Keiji Inafune, so goes Koji Igarashi.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:11:43 AM »
Holy shit.

I guess a Castlevania successor via kickstarter just like Mighty No. 9 is around the corner? I would be so ok with that.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 08:13:16 AM »
+2
That would certainly be interesting. Konami may have the rights to "Castlevania" but they can't stop him from making a game about other people that fight Dracula.

Offline Trevelyan

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 08:15:41 AM »
I'm very curious about the timing of this.  Did he wait to until the Castlevania IP was up for grabs again, and Konami denied it to him?

And yes, in theory he should be able to make games that use everything *except* the Belmonts, right? Going to be interesting.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 08:18:27 AM by Trevelyan »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 08:18:11 AM »
That would certainly be interesting. Konami may have the rights to "Castlevania" but they can't stop him from making a game about other people that fight Dracula.
Might not even be about Dracula, but hopefully it will essentially be a Castlevania game just as much as MN9 is Mega Man.
I'm very curious about the timing of this.  Did he wait to until the Castlevania IP was up for grabs again, and Konami denied it to him?
That, or he's sick and tired of working on shovel-ware at a small desk.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 08:25:28 AM »
+9
get ready for not-castlevania games that are more in common with castlevania than konami-castlevania

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 08:25:42 AM »
Now IGA can follow his true passion and make more Leedmees. In all seriousness, I salute him. R.I.P IGA.

And R.I.P 1999, lol.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 08:26:17 AM »
Time for Mighty Number Vania.

Which ironically, would essentially be a complete reboot of the Castlevania format and concepts.

Also, this is pretty good news as it means he won't be reusing Rondo sprites anymore.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 08:26:24 AM »
+1
Well that's what I meant, he's totally free to make an IGA style 2D game just as Inafune is making MN9, but Igarashi has even more freedom to get closer to our beloved IP because Konami can't copyright Dracula as a character.

But I can totally see him making something completely unrelated to Castlevania, because at least Konami is still wanting to do something with the series, when it came to Inafune, making MN9 was basically because Capcom threw the Rockman series into the dumpster.

And then set the dumpsters contents on fire.

Offline Little Dracula

• Castlemaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 08:28:58 AM »
+1
Good for him, he was doing nothing in Konami and probably had a paycheck for live, so it take guts to leave that confort zone.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 08:31:52 AM »
And R.I.P 1999, lol.
This is the only downside to this, Konami missed out on a seriously golden opportunity.

Julius Belmont would have sold gangbusters.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 08:32:54 AM »
Really all I'm hoping for now is that he teams up with Inafune and they make a Metroidvania with Robots. A MegaMightriodvania No. X if you will.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 08:36:38 AM »
+6

Everything comes full circle

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 08:43:57 AM »
+1
Nice! :)

Tags:

anything