Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: HOTD4 PSN  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: April 26, 2012, 12:50:21 AM »
Lemme tell y'all, it's so great to finally have The House of the Dead 4 in the home. I've played this bad boy a few times in the arcade, and each time I plugged in roughly $20 playing with friends (my pals and I constantly swiping the same card 'cos we suck so bad, lol).

Now, with one ten dollar purchase, the bitch is mine, now and forever.

The PS Move controls aren't pissing me off in this. In HOTD: Overkill, they're terrible; in Time Crisis: Razing Storm, they're all right; and here, they're spot-on. The ONLY, ONLY thing that's REALLY pissing me off about the controls, however, is that playing with a buddy who also has a PS Glowpop Dildo Remote + Gun Peripheral Action Jackson, the aiming frequently gets out of sync. It FEELS like—and this is fucking retarded if this is the case—the calibration is only intended for ONE remote, so whoever calibrates gets the perfect aiming, while the other player gets screwed over and has their aiming way off. My buddy and I kept having to recalibrate our remotes, which was odd, but I noticed it was always in turn: whenever he was spot-on, I was way off, and vice versa. So I can only speculate that for whatever reason beyond all sense, you can only calibrate one remote to work properly, which is bogus to the MAX. (And no, Players 1 and 2 weren't set to the same motion controller.)

Playing solo, though, the aiming is accurate as can be and a helluva lotta fun, and I didn't experience the aiming going out of whack like in other rail shooters I've played with the PS Move.

Also gave PSN's HOTD3 a whirl. (My friend bought it, I downloaded it on my PS3.) It's...lacking. What could have been the perfect home port of the game is ruined for two reasons: (1) the sound effects are all fucked up in that every time you fire your shotgun, the sound kinda cuts out and gets a little glitched, and enemy pain/death cries are affected likewise, and this KILLS the experience for me; and (2) the load times are really long for some reason, even though they're super fast on HOTD2&3 Return for the Wii.

The way it one-ups the Wii port, however, is the graphics. They're 720p, and sure, the visuals/textures all look the same, but higher res means less jaggies, and the colors are a little better, too (possibly due to being output through HDMI instead of component). So it really is a much smoother, prettier presentation, and that's what makes the two issues above such a kick to the nuts. Actually, no, just the sound glitching out is what ruins the game for me; I can deal with slow load times. But with the sound being so messed up, the game is ruined. :( What a shame...

By the way, I still want Konami's Evil Night to be released on the Wii.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:58:02 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 01:54:26 AM »
Whoa, I've never heard of Evil Night before, but it looks pretty awesome from what I just saw on youtube. Dammit.

I think it's cool that they have HotD4 on PSN now, but I don't have Move, and I don't think I'll get it.  :-\ Well, unless I could pick it all up pretty cheaply.

But if they brought back the original HotD...

Also, last time I played HotD4 was at Dave and Buster's...me and my girlfriend's brother beat it. Some guy behind us was watching, and when we were done, he was like, "I don't know who you guys are, but I love y'all."  :-X
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 02:43:11 PM »
Evil Night is the most fun light gun game I've ever played. I only ever saw it in an arcade in the Mall of America, and sadly that place shut down a few years ago, but I'd go there pretty often just to play it. (It was right next to a bar where some cougars would try to hit up on my nubile 17-year-old self.)

It's got that same great cheesetastic voice acting as HOTD2 (I've never played the original but I assume it has the same), but the gameplay is kind of unique in ways. I just love going through the dungeons and blasting dudes wide open, and it was a three-player game with two pistols and a shotgun; the latter was powerful as all hell, but the pistols had a fun thing where you hold up for a few seconds and it charged a super bullet that'd blow guys open with one shot. So awesome.

I seriously contemplated buying a complete cabinet some years ago, lol. It was like $2,000 shipped.

Wish I would have known that arcade was closing. I'd have asked if the cabinet was going anywhere or if I could buy it for a few hundred. :p
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags:

anything