Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Carmilla (Potential Fan Game)  (Read 12404 times)

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 04:49:14 AM »
I messaged this guy the other day and said the same thing dracula9.

I think I'll check that book out myself. :-)
The worst monsters are human.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 09:54:09 AM »
You can read the book online at Mr' Ps. Castlevania realm. That where I found it last time.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 09:09:02 PM »
I would argue that this is one of those books best experienced in paper form. We're talking about a story which brought new ideas and thoughts on the vampire mythos twenty-six years before Stoker essentially landslided the genre. That it's fallen into obscurity by comparison is a shame, moreso when there are some heavy similarities between Dracula and Carmilla that Stoker gets more credit for (not to bash him or his work, of course).

It's worth getting a physical copy of, IMO. I've got a nice one I've never regretted buying.

Now if only I could get my hands on an original publication of the issue of The Dark Blue it first appeared in...

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 01:12:11 AM »
IIRC the novel implies that Mircalla was just another anagram/alias. You could probably rearrange it a third time and get away with it.

This sounds nifty, though. Gonna have to stay posted on this one.

Carmilla and Millarca are the anagrams. Her real name is Mircalla Karnstein.
Also, the novel doesn't imply it so much as tell you outright.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:13:53 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 11:27:45 PM »
Ah. It's been a few years since last I read it, so my memory of details is admittedly a bit hazy. Thanks for clarifying.

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
Re: Carmilla (Potential Fan Game)
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2015, 09:15:20 AM »
Perhaps I have another story idea which this one is inspired from Skyrim's Dawnguard DLC...

Maybe perhaps Carmilla was actually hidden away in a blood soaked crypt by her mother to protect her from Dracula to "sacrifice" her to resurrect a Powerful Ancient Vampire or Demon, or directly from Skyrim, create a "Eternal Night" for Vampires and Dracula's minions to come out freely since Carmilla is a pure blooded vampire, which Laura finds Carmilla's tomb via the help of one of her projections and frees her....
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 09:28:40 AM by Zydalc »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 11:46:07 AM »
Dracula and Carmilla have never seen eye to eye, especially in Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. This idea of your could work as a game. You talked about having a Belmont and Carmilla team up in another of your ideas so why not? In order for Carmilla to kill Dracula she needs to enlist the aid of a Belmont. This where your other idea of Laura being a Belmont could also come into play. Carmilla is a powerful Vampire in her own right, but she's nothing like Dracula. He became a powerful Vampire/sorcerer through his own will alone in Bram Stoker's Dracula (excluding the LoI game story elements of course). And of course Dracula sees Carmilla as a threat to other vampires as well considering her perverse nature of playing and feeding upon women rather then men.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2015, 01:39:09 PM »
And of course Dracula sees Carmilla as a threat to other vampires as well considering her perverse nature of playing and feeding upon women rather then men.

Actually I have in reverse, what if other Vampires see Dracula not only as a threat but also fear him since I think there should be factions of Vampires who oppose Dracula because they see that his arrogance and hatred towards humans over some petty reason (a death of a woman) and his ultimate plans (something to do with "eternal darkness" or something) might ultimately threaten the rest of their kind with humans raging a genocidal war against them and they prefer sticking to the shadows and Dracula might threaten that balance...(since I think Dracula isn't the first vampire and I think there should be vampires that are much older than him....)

and Carmilla might be one among of those Vampires and also as for her feeding habits, I think I would rather make her actual lesbian who is 'sexually promiscuous' who mostly prefers the blood of women especially during sex (even though she drinks their blood, she doesn't actually kill them and lets them live, not to mention I think her bites doesn't turn them into vampires since if I'm getting Castlevania vampire lore right, I think there's a reason why she's "sexually promiscuous" because three bites turn one into a vampire and she doesn't want to feed on the same 'lover' which she moves on to the next one...until she finds Laura who she feels compelled to turn her into a vampire because of her strength and fighting abilities but the only problem remains is the cognitive dissonance that Laura has towards Carmilla which one part of her is how the "Church holds power over mortals" such as being told that "Vampires are evil" and the other is her open mindess telling her otherwise that some Vampires might be decent people after all...) while she feeds on equally (both women and men alike) during combat.

I think I could take creative liberties here and as well try to make Carmilla a very likable protagonist character as possible as contrast to Dracula.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:43:40 PM by Zydalc »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »
Dracula and Carmilla have never seen eye to eye, especially in Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

In fairness, Bloodlust is loosely based on Demon Deathchase, and doesn't represent their in-novel relationship as well. I don't think, anyway.

But even so, I do like the sentiment in your post. I think that would be an interesting parallel. We've seen in CotM that Carmilla is willing to work with Dracula, but I think it'd be a cool take if Carmilla either worked with Dracula waiting for the opportune moment to usurp his power, or to work with the protagonists against him and become the antagonist once he's beaten.

Quote from: Zydalc
since I think Dracula isn't the first vampire and I think there should be vampires that are much older than him

I like that idea. Depending on whether you go by the Castlevania or Stoker mythos, Dracula can either be the Dark Lord or just a greater vampire. Stoker's take on him, I think, paints him as a powerful vampire with considerable wit and influence, but isn't exactly THE vampire or by any means the oldest or strongest. It's never really detailed in Castlevania whether or not he's the original, only that he's the strongest due to his black magic and age (since vampires almost universally get stronger as time goes on).

I think your take is a very unique one. All too often Dracula as a character is portrayed as THE bigbad, or one of the biggest fish period. The idea of lesser vampires plotting a coup de'tat to preserve their own status quo is one I can definitely get behind.

As for the Castlevania's lore on turning a human, I don't remember if it's ever actually specified. There are some lores that go by a certain number of bites, some by where the human's bitten, etc. I'm partial to the Hellsing/Anne Rice mythos in which the human must have all of their blood drained, and then drink the blood of a vampire to turn, and have a cycle of full-blood transfusions before the turning is complete. In this way, the human's blood is cycled through the vampire multiple times until it becomes vampiric, and then the human is "refilled" with vampiric blood. Whether or not the human chose to be turned or willingly offered their blood to the vampire(s) in question can also play a part.

I think a certain catboy said it best:

"Blood is the currency of the soul, the vehicle of life. Having blood offered...is a very different experience than taking it."

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2015, 11:09:24 PM »
But even so, I do like the sentiment in your post. I think that would be an interesting parallel. We've seen in CotM that Carmilla is willing to work with Dracula, but I think it'd be a cool take if Carmilla either worked with Dracula waiting for the opportune moment to usurp his power, or to work with the protagonists against him and become the antagonist once he's beaten

Well actually I've originally intended to have a different Carmilla than in the games, well I could say that maybe it's possible that Carmilla is humoring Dracula the whole time until the right opportunity to strike but actually I've also originally intended to have Carmilla as THE protagonist however since I find your latter suggestion about "Protaognist at first but turning antagonist" seems at least cliche and overused so many times which I think I could have different ideas to play unto this while keeping Carmilla as the primary protagonist and Laura secondary...

I think after defeating Dracula, Laura is almost dying from battle from heavy wounds Carmilla then saves her life by turning her into a vampire like herself (by Laura's request) and maybe they come into agreement that maybe perhaps it's best if they becomes the "Dark Ladies" or the new lords of the castle and have her and Laura 'rule the night' (although not as arrogant and tyrannical Dracula was) by her side to keep Dracula at bay which then ends with Carmilla and Laura sitting side by side each other in their own thrones but then...Laura's Father and his gang comes in....which triggers another boss battle which if there's two endings, if Carmilla and Laura die, and then whole cycle repeats itself with the prospect of Dracula coming back to power, but if Carmilla and Laura win, they prolong him at bay....

As for turning Vampires...I think it maybe best if a Vampire completely drains the victim and then drops their own blood into them and becomes a new vampire.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:30:19 PM by Zydalc »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 06:30:17 AM »
Then Varney shows up and throws them both into Mt. Vesuvius!
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 08:02:15 AM »
Then Varney shows up and throws them both into Mt. Vesuvius!

Heh...I also always wondered how Varney, Lord Ruthven, and Clarimonde would fit into Castlevania....

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 09:30:22 PM »
You know maybe perhaps there should be a another perspective amoung the Vampires which perhaps why not portray the Belmonts, the Church, etc as antagonists while Vampires as protagonists? Although Vampires (like in VTM) may have some politicking around though like the Von Viltheim's and other Vampire clans might oppose Dracula for their own reasons but doesn't mean they ally with what the series considers "the heroes" like the Belmonts, the Church and such and plus LeCarde just destroyed Katherina's castle out of "Van Helsing Hate Crime" rather than observing Katherina's own reasons for example that I'm using. Or Dracula himself has a "Fallen Hero" complex who sees himself who has "good intentions" if not he's a Well-Intentioned Extremist who wants to alter the world for his own ends while other Vampires simply want to be left alone (probably like the Von Viltheim's perhaps possibly...) so some can have their own private 'rulership' of the night while Dracula wants the whole world fall into his dominion which other Vampires might see that as a threat to their existence.

Hmmm....

If the makers of the LeCarde Chronicles would ever consider the possibility of portraying Katherina in a 'positive light' (from a Vampire perspective than a human's perspective) even when a Vampire especially what if she's the mother of Carmilla...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:39:27 PM by Zydalc »

Tags: