Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Chronicles - Dracula's Curse  (Read 274226 times)

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania Chronicles - Dracula's Curse
« Reply #300 on: October 09, 2013, 01:12:41 PM »
There is your vid for you Warmachine:
Castlevania Chronicles: Dracula's Curse Stage 1 Demo
Thanks for bailing me out Darkman  ;D Gotta be patient with me on all the dropbox vids guys, im running my internet off of my android so lets just say YouTube doesn't always agree with slow pc/phone internet speeds  :rollseyes: ;D
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: October 09, 2013, 05:35:13 PM »
X, that's odd dude.  Did you take a look at Kaonstantine's post?  I have the game set to if you have a controller plugged in the keys are disabled, but i dont get why you were able to use the actions....weird lol.  I've tried it on multiple computers/laptops with no issues, maybe you have a controller plugged in?  Like darkman said, please post any findings you may come across on here, i couldn't find major bugs, but im used to seeing this level since i've been working on bug fixes for the last 2 weeks on and off lol so i get used to seeing it over, and over........and over lol.  Thanks for checking it out guys  8)

I've got (besides my keyboard obviously, lol) two controllers plugged in. One of them is a typical third party while the other is an official XBOX PC controller. I'll try the game again and see if I have any more issues.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #302 on: October 09, 2013, 05:43:21 PM »
I've got (besides my keyboard obviously, lol) two controllers plugged in. One of them is a typical third party while the other is an official XBOX PC controller. I'll try the game again and see if I have any more issues.
Lol i hear ya dude, my bad on that.  I only have a PS3 to try it out with so im not sure how the mappings will be lol.  But by the time of release or at least a 2 or 3 stage demo i will get a 360 controller off of one of my buds and map it for that as well.  I would think they should be similar though, you could try the controller and see how it goes i guess lol.  They are similar as far as button mappings i think.  On the PS3 controller, these are your controls:

Triangle = Subweapon
Circle = Roll
X = Jump
Square = Attack

L1 = Special
R1 = Item Crash

And as it is now i just have the D-Pad supported, but i could code it later for Analog stick for the directional if everyone wants it  ;D Hopefully that helps dude, maybe those controls will be close on the 360 controller.  I do know that normal USB controller mappings are different as well, so when i get one i'll have to code it for this as well and find a way for the game to detect which type of controller is connected....man what a pain lmao!  I hope you get to try it out.  1 bug that Darkman found was on block 1-5.  When the Medusa Heads fly at you and you use the Stopwatch they start flying super fast lol, so i fixed that bug.  I'll have all bugs you guys may find fixed before the next demo release for sure  8)

EDIT: Btw guys, im also working on a pause screen that has a Resume Game option and Player Controls option that lets you demo the controls out similar to how the new devil may cry does, where it shows the controls and lets you actually use them and see how they work.  On the "Player Controls" option on the menu bar at the top it has all the key mappings as well to try and make it a little easier to control.  If you guys want a quick reference, the controls are:

Arrow Keys = Movement
A = Roll
S = Jump
D = Attack
F = Subweapon
E = Special
R = Item Crash
P = Pause
Esc = Exit game
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 05:46:10 PM by BMC_War Machine »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #303 on: October 10, 2013, 09:58:35 AM »
I managed to play through your demo but I'd like to stress a few things first. And yes I'm aware that this is only a demo, but you need feedback right? Let's get to it then:

I find that Trevor is climbing the stairs way too slowly in terms of his size relative to the stage. Also I noticed that Trevor will fall off of blocks when he isn't near enough to the edge to warrant him to fall. I had to be careful about climbing up the stairwell in the chapel as there were two by one block platforms that I could easily fall off of.

In terms of Trevor's attack his multi-directional whipping doesn't work when you attack while jumping. You can only attack left or right. If this is intentional then I won't press the issue. I did notice though that when I did attack either straight up or on an angle, and then attacked again without using the arrow keys, I was still attacking as though I had initiated an angled attack. I had to press either <- or -> to get him to whip straight ahead once more.

And one last thing I need to mention is about the boss battle. I tried to jump over the skull knight and found that I couldn't. There should have been enough room to maneuver over him, but it wouldn't let me. I took a hit while sailing over him and landed right into him and kept getting hit over and over again till I was officially dead. Trevor has zero time to get back on his feet and move to a safe distance. I was unable to do this. The amount of time a Belmont should have in terms of invincibility is roughly 1 second to 1/2 seconds after taking a hit. Also Trevor didn't get knocked back when he took the hit so this also lead to my quick demise. Through this I also discovered a glitch of sorts. When I died the game should have put me back at the nearest restart point. It didn't. Instead I was still facing the skull knight and I got stuck in his hitbox again, and again I was killed off way too fast. Here's the second part of the glitch. When I died a second time there was no gameover screen or anything of the like. The just froze on me.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #304 on: October 10, 2013, 10:53:10 AM »
I played the demo!

First I want to say that you have done a really good job with the stage layout, and the look of the game. There were a lot of really nice touches, and I loved the little sequence with Death setting the village on fire. The presentation over all has been done really well. Nice job!

I experienced the same issues as X with the final boss battle and the directional whipping. The stairs were a huge issue though, I personally don't know that I could play through the game if the stairs stay the way that they are. Not only is the climbing of the stairs painfully slow, but Trevor appears disconnected from the stairs. I think that the stairs are easily the biggest issue you should address.

Also, as a guitar player I can appreciate the work that's been done musically here. I'm excited to see the completed game!
The worst monsters are human.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #305 on: October 10, 2013, 12:52:48 PM »
X, Jeffrey, thanks guys for your testing and input!  ;D Remember, dont be afraid to call it like you see it guys, not saying you are, but i know a lot of people on forums like to cry when their "masterpiece" on only seen as that by themselves lol.  A majority of the issues you guys have mentioned i have been working on since i released the beta for everyone to try.  Honestly i pulled the trigger a little earlier than i had originally planned lol, i was just anxious FOR your guys to have at least something to try out other than just watching videos haha.  I think with those fixes, the game should turn out pretty solid.  That's why i've been testing the guts out of that stage and wanting as much input as possible because i literally have every single stage completed, layout, enemies, bosses, the works.  So when i polish up the system for this stage i can take that code and apply it to the remainder of the game.  As soon as i get all these issues fixed for you guys i'll post an updated beta for you guys to pick apart :)  And Jeff, thanks for the comments about the layout, look and especially the guitar work :) i appreciate it dude  8)

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #306 on: October 10, 2013, 04:11:02 PM »
+1
Ok dudes, bug report update  ;D

Stairs system - FIXED:
I corrected the directional whipping, it all works just fine now  ;D  Before, i noticed that when you walked up and down any right facing stairs everything worked great, but the left facing had all the bugs.  Matched the code and it took care of the problem :)  I adjusted the speed, and you guys were 100% right, he moved WAY to slowly, so i sped it up and the animations up and everything flows much more naturally now :)  Also, i noticed that when walking up the right facing stairs the subweapons could be thrown/used at anytime no problem, but when on the left facing stairs you had to be standing still in order for them to work.  This also has been fixed  8)

Pain system - FIXED:
This was my #1 gripe, you guys are right.  Depending on where you stood, an enemy/boss would spank you bigtime haha.  I found out how to make Trevor flash invincible for 1.5 seconds before he stops flashing and can take another hit.  This was fixed for the stairs AND when on the ground.

Known bugs still needing fixed on gameplay:
Add hits on all weapons to candles with all subweapons/special attack.
Add all item crash damage to enemies/candles and effect them differently.
Add subweapon drop system to allow choice of subweapon pickup when finding another (ala SOTN)
Adjust sound levels on effects and music to even playing field.  Im sure you guys noticed some things were very faint and others were overpowering lol.

Hopefully in the next day or so i will have ALL these issues ironed out and will have a 2nd beta for you guys to test out  ;D Make sure to check back frequently for any updates!  8)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 04:13:13 PM by BMC_War Machine »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #307 on: October 10, 2013, 05:21:37 PM »
+1
Sweet! Can't wait to test out the next demo!

Depending on where you stood, an enemy/boss would spank you bigtime haha.

Yeah, I'm still recovering. The Doc said my case of red ass will go away within the week, lol!

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #308 on: October 10, 2013, 07:30:58 PM »
Yeah, I'm still recovering. The Doc said my case of red ass will go away within the week, lol!
LMFAO!!! :o ;D I lol'd hard on that one, +1 on that post just for this ^

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #309 on: October 10, 2013, 11:24:45 PM »
I could take it a step further and say that the skull knight gave me his 'bone' and then after he was finished with me he went back for seconds.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
« Reply #310 on: October 11, 2013, 09:22:41 AM »
Tested it yesterday.
I'll echo X's and Jeffrey's comments, and add a few others:
- Since Trevor's stair climb animation isn't a continuous one, the screen shifts up in small stutters when climbing rather than in one unbroken motion (and his sprite seems to be disconnected from the stairs while climbing). It'd be nice if you could fix that.
- Player death is sometimes ignored, in which case Trevor will stand in place, unresponsive, after the death animation.
- The chain whip doesn't seem to be doing more damage than the leather whip.
- The 'Game Over' screen can't be controlled. The game needs to be restarted in order for it to run again.
- Skeletons can hit the player while in their death animations. I wouldn't recommend that.
- When the stopwatch is used against medusa heads, the heads on screen stop moving forward, but still oscillate vertically, while other Medusa Heads begin to shoot through Trevor at high speeds. (Also, the stopwatch slows down enemies instead of freezing them, but I think that's intended?)
- When walking through the village area, after having hit the bone pillar a few times, I was suddenly being pulled the the left for no reason. I could still walk to the right, but painfully slowly, and moving towards the left was twice as fast. Not moving at all meant sliding to the left.
- I'll reiterate X's point about the platforming. Trevor seems to fall off ledges a bit too early, which meant there were a few uncertain jumps. As long as a part of the sprite touches the ledge, Trevor should still stand, just as in the originals.

Now, among the few tidbits I particularly enjoyed:
- Death setting the village on fire. Perfect.
- The village itself looks amazing (OoE's, of course).
- The music is good, although it eventually begins to sound too much like a crazy guitar solo than an actual Castlevania piece.
I'll add that this is an extraordinary effort, and I expect to see you there until the end.

Speaking of which, I'd be happy to contribute a few original musical tracks for any of the fan games based on these forums -- though you'll have to expect a more classical style. It'd be a reward in itself to figure in the credits. It's been quite a while since I've started composing on the side; if time permits, I'd be glad to come up with a few CV-inspired themes...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 10:53:31 AM by Intersection »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #311 on: October 11, 2013, 09:46:12 AM »
Tested it yesterday.
I'll echo X's and Jeffrey's comments, and add a few others:
- Since Trevor's stair climb animation isn't a continuous one, the screen shifts up in small stutters when climbing rather than in one unbroken motion (and his sprite seems to be disconnected from the stairs while climbing). It'd be nice if you could fix that.
- Player death is sometimes ignored, in which case Trevor will stand in place, unresponsive, after the death animation.
- The chain whip doesn't seem to be doing more damage than the leather whip.
- The 'Game Over' screen can't be controlled. The game needs to be restarted in order for it to run again.
- Skeletons can hit the player while in their death animations. I wouldn't recommend that.
- When the stopwatch is used against Medusa Heads, the head on screen stop moving forward, but still oscillate vertically, and more Medusa Heads start to shoot through you at a high speed. (Also, the Stopwatch slows down enemies instead of freezing them, but I think that's intended?)
- When walking through the village area, after having hit the bone pillar a few times, I was suddenly being pulled the the left for no reason. I could still walk to the right, but painfully slowly, and moving towards the left was twice as fast. Not moving at all meant sliding to the left.
- I'll reiterate X's point about the platforming. Trevor seems to fall off ledges a bit too early, which meant there were a few uncertain jumps. As long as a part of the sprite touches the ledge, Trevor should still stand, just as in the originals.

Now, among the few tidbits I particularly enjoyed:
- Death setting the village on fire. Perfect.
- The village itself looks amazing (OoE's, of course).
- The music is good, although it eventually begins to sound too much like a crazy guitar solo than an actual Castlevania piece.
I'll add that this is an extraordinary effort, and I expect to see you there until the end.

Speaking of which, I'd be happy to contribute a few original musical tracks for any of the fan games based on these forums -- though you'll have to expect a more classical style. It'd be a reward in itself to figure in the credits. It's been quite a while since I've started composing on the side; if time permits, I'd be glad to come up with a few CV-inspired themes...
Good feedback, guys keep it coming! Some of the same errors, I caught and should be fixed in the upcoming build. However, there were others that I didn't experience so that's good! To Warmachine's credit all the other stages are done and imported into MMF2! It all makes or break the game depending on how the first stage goes. If the foundation is perfected, it shouldn't be so long to repeat the process for the other areas. Also, I think the first stage music is perfect, don't touch it!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 09:50:18 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #312 on: October 11, 2013, 10:03:38 AM »
To this day I still have a gripe with Trevor's frankensprited idle animation which makes his torso look like it's twisted to an impossible degree. If you want to replicate Richter's idle animation then just sprite over his, they both have the same base.
Oh, and looking at the Coming Soon screen, I think Alucard's hair needs a little lighting/shading to make it look better.
I guess that's it from me for now. Considering that it's a graphical issue instead of a gameplay one this shouldn't be too prioritized.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 06:59:07 PM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline SabinFigaro

• Hunter in Training
  • What a horrible day to go to work..
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #313 on: October 11, 2013, 07:29:18 PM »
Hello there.

First off, I would like to say GREAT stuff man. I have been following this project for a while now, and I await eagerly the final release.

Now, concerning bugs. I don't know if these two were mentioned before but here:

1. The only whip upgrades seem to be at the very beginning of the stage. If you die after reaching the first door, there seem to be no whip upgrades available in any candle for the rest of stage 1.

2. Can't grab the hidden (turkey,pot roast or whatever). The hit detection seems to be off. Also, in the same area, I don't know if the flame stands are supposed to be breakable but they didn't react as I whipped them.

So that's my two cents. Keep doing what you do sir. It is premium craftmanship. Long live Trevor Belmont!

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
« Reply #314 on: October 12, 2013, 04:59:42 AM »
All right. So this time I've actually finished the demo.
Here's my addendum:
- Running into a wall makes Trevor's sprite vibrate.
- I died again against the skull knight -- but this time the game didn't react at all, and I could still move and whip normally. I finished the game with an empty life bar.
- Axes can't pass through walls. I'm sure it's there for realism, but, in this type of CV, it renders the subweapon completely useless. They'll be too many walls and platforms for a player to be expected to aim.
- Whipping upwards is off axis, which makes hitting objects unnecessarily hard, since the whip is so thin.
(Also, there's no downward-angled whipping. It's maybe a design choice but I'd like to see it there.)
- On the left side of the boss room, there's no way to escape once you're cornered. (= prompt death).
- Sabin is right: there aren't any whip upgrades available after the first room.
- The way they're designed, the candles will always drop the same item. I'd consider randomizing them a bit, something which could also solve the whip upgrade issue.
- There's no sound effect for breaking a candle. Some candle placements are rather... unrealistic. I'd suggest diversifying the types of "whippable candles" available. (Some of the fires lit in the village could be used, for example).

A few eventual design suggestions:
- Make sure you include an option for switching controls at some point. I've always found it to be necessary in a game like this.
- On a more hypothetical note, maybe you could spice up the skull knight battle by adding keeping the knight's "shield revivals".

And I like the VK remix.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 05:16:08 AM by Intersection »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Tags:

anything