Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Empty collaborations reek of a PachinKonami sacrificing their once beloved franchise harder than Griffith sacrificed the original Band of the Hawk/ Falcon… 🏹 🦅💥🩸
Fan Stuff / Re: Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles May 2013
« Last post by Aceearly1993 on May 28, 2024, 03:42:30 PM »
https://github.com/Aceearly1993/lecarde-1/releases/tag/v0.5.3

Hotfix - An attempt to rule out 2 bugs that seem to be critical for action progressing.
The problem with soulslike is that the feature that meshes best with Castlevania is DS1's level design, and in 15 years they never managed to replicate the quality of that, which you would need for an entire castle. Nowadays "soulslike" amounts to rolling infinitely in corridors (or in a shallow open world) with particular care to PvP stuff. Not my cup of tea.
Aside from that, the platforming in soulslikes is extremely awkward and weak. And the whips in those games are terrible and do not resemble Castlevania's vampire killer at all (LoS also had this issue).

Well, either way its not like the Castles map are that much interconnected usually, tbh thats why we usually have to rely on teleports a lot. Surely some areas may connect at times, but not to the point we ever had plenty of shortcuts between dramatically distant areas of the castles, also because those map usually mostly develop horizontally, while Dark Souls, at least for the most part, privileges vertical exploration, which surely would work very well with a Castle like architecture if done properly, yeah. On the combat, the whips do indeed feel awful in those games, but i think if they were to make a game in this style of gameplay an arsenal of weapons as we usually have in most metroidvanias would be privileged, and i can see that work. The real problem i think is the pace is too different from both the exploration based vanias and the action ones, surely because of jumping, but overall because of a faster pace of action and movement overall. Tho I also think that if done properly it could still work well, but as I said before, id rather get a more action oriented game, even tho these seems to not be very popular anymore unfortunately. Again regarding the whip, i think Lament of Innocence had the best whip wielding gameplay we had in a Castlevania game, i honestly think it was extremely thrilling and you really got the feeling of swinging a whip, differently from LoS as you said yourself, where it just felt like you were swinging punches in a mobile game or something like that. Castlevania 64 was also cool with the whip i think, i wish the whips in the Souls game felt more something like that
Speaking of which, do any of you guys like the idea of having a new game embrace the soulslike formula?
The problem with soulslike is that the feature that meshes best with Castlevania is DS1's level design, and in 15 years they never managed to replicate the quality of that, which you would need for an entire castle. Nowadays "soulslike" amounts to rolling infinitely in corridors (or in a shallow open world) with particular care to PvP stuff. Not my cup of tea.
Aside from that, the platforming in soulslikes is extremely awkward and weak. And the whips in those games are terrible and do not resemble Castlevania's vampire killer at all (LoS also had this issue).
Off Topic / Re: AVGN 20 yrs CV speciale!
« Last post by zangetsu468 on May 24, 2024, 10:13:52 PM »
AVGN had some moments where he seemed passionate and genuine about the titles he was reviewing, in particular, horror-inspired games and movies. Imo his Castlevania and Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde vids were among some of his greatest moments. (I always assumed that with his history and background in short films, he’s somehow have his own J&H moment where AVGN gets assassinated by his alter ego and that person becomes Board James…)

I’m not buying this whole Rex Viper movement, James seems unhappy. Hopefully he can go solo and get back to his roots.
“soulslike” are games that take inspiration from Dark Souls, Demon’s Souls, Bloodborne, Elden Ring, Stellar Blade, etc. Although those games look amazing & a lot of effort was put into them by the developers, which I appreciate & admire their dedication, they’re just not my cup of tea. The gameplay is slow, methodical, and every choice you make counts, and like I said they’re known for their extreme difficulty.

@whipsmemory  Personally I would prefer a new 3D Castlevania to not take that route, but if it was done differently than the rest, then of course I will give it a chance.
What's soulslike?
This looks so cool!

I was just recently talking to a friend about how a Castlevania game in neo geo pocket color style would be awesome.

This is pretty much exactly that!

Love the vibes I'll have to pick this one up!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
anything