Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Salvaging Sonia? Plus, reflections on IGA....  (Read 31766 times)

Offline Kensuke

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: Salvaging Sonia? Plus, reflections on IGA....
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2007, 11:06:33 AM »
In Reply to #42 and #44

True fan? What manner of nonsense is that?!

There was a Castlevania before IGA. And God willing, there will be a Castlevania after IGA.

Seriously though. The Sonia thing is just one controversy about IGA (and perhaps the most amusing). The other major thing I've seen is the direction the GBA and DS games have taken. Most of these complaints I've seen are from lurking here. One thing I don't see is people gushing about IGA's infallibility (aside from some minority fanboys like yourself). I think he's done some good things for the series (SotN in particular), but at the same time he also seems like somebody CV fans merely have to endure.

Here's my opinion:

A *true* Castlevania fan would not kowtow to what IGA says without first deciding for themselves. Period. End of story.
We're not even talking about Fannon either. We're talking about an OFFICIAL Konami game that exists.

The rest of your comments are pointless. Srigma, VoDkA, and TLB seem to get it though.

- John

Stigma Black

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2007, 11:13:16 AM »
In Reply To #46

I dunno. I broke out Harmony of Dissonance again today and realised it's probably one of the most unappreciated games in my collection.

He did some good things for the series, but that doesn't make him a god or anything.

VampireHunterM

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2007, 11:19:04 AM »
In Reply To #47
HoD really is an under rated game. Of course Iga is not a "god". I have played the series since'86. I've played before Iga's involvement, and will play after. But what he's done for the series in my opinion is all good.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2007, 01:18:11 PM »
"More than 100 years before Simon Belmont, Dracula and mankind's battle begins..."

That more less shows, that this is the mark where the battle of Belmonts and others against Dracula started.

Um no that isn't specifically saying Trevor was the first belmont to kill him, I interperet that as saying 3 was the most epic and biggest, all of mankind did get involved with the fight including the catholic church who sent an entire army after drac and failed, and Europe was on the verge of collapse, and it's why trevor is welcomed back to Romania and praised so highly afterwards, which is what I've been saying all along, granted it's all up to interpretation but it is possible to fit legends in there.

In Reply To #47
HoD really is an under rated game. Of course Iga is not a "god". I have played the series since'86. I've played before Iga's involvement, and will play after. But what he's done for the series in my opinion is all good.

Yeah I've been playing them since the 80's too, I started in 88 with simon's quest, and went back and later played the first one, and have played the others as they've come out. I want Iga to do what he wants to do, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna like everything he does and praise him in every post, and I have made certain tweaks to his timeline (generally regarding legends cuz I still consider that one cannon) and have my own unique one instead of just following iga's. Cuz whether he likes it or not he can't come in and take the games I've already bought away or erase my memories of them just cuz he doesn't consider them canon. And people saying true fans don't bitch is BS, look at all the people who hate what GL has done to the Original Star Wars trilogy, they aren't any less adamant about Starwars, they just don't like what GL has done, and aren't GL fanatics who will praise every dumb edit he's made to those films, I have yet to find one person who like's every single thing GL has added/changed in those films, same thing with castlevania, we are people with our own opinions and because we aren't Iga and are our own unique individuals of course there are gonna be things we like and things we don't and there are gonna be some people who like and accept everything cuz they like what iga has done better, we're all different. :)

In Reply To #46

I dunno. I broke out Harmony of Dissonance again today and realised it's probably one of the most unappreciated games in my collection.

Yeah it is really fun, it's one of my fav GB titles, and it had an oldschool feel. The thing I can't understand is why the music didn't utilize the GBA's full capabilities. :?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 01:36:12 PM by The Last Belmont »
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Kensuke

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2007, 01:31:16 PM »
In regards to Resurrections, we don't know for CERTAIN that it was going to be crap. We can only speculate. Just like we can only speculate even less about Bloodletting. I suspect that Resurrections would have been subpar, but I can't prove it and that's just an outgrowth of my natural pessimism and KOA's track record with games like Contra. The chara-design and story was lame, but the in-game graphics and music was reasonably decent. We might have ultimately ended up with a decent game.

In any event, IGA's toss out of Sonia effectively means we'll never even have a halfway decent chance of a good game involving her.

Also, again, I can't find the 100 year quote. Not in the game, and not in the Japanese timeline. There's no way CV3 happened 100 years before CV1 anyways. Trevor was 15th century. Christopher is 16th century. Simon is 17th Century. And Richter is 18th Century. Do the math.

And if Dracula can only ressurrect every 100 years...ummm...explain Bloodlines and the whole Morris bullshit? Having Sonia defeat Dracula is 1450 in lame, but having Dracula resurrect in 1917 is somehow better? I love the whole idea of WWI starting because of Elizabeth's Bartley's machinations, but it just screams "We need an excuse for another CV game!".

- John
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 01:36:50 PM by Kensuke »

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2007, 02:18:40 PM »
What proves IGA is sexist is Charlotte. Why? She sucks.
O.O

Jonathan does too, but he has a whip.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2007, 02:32:44 PM »

Also, again, I can't find the 100 year quote. Not in the game, and not in the Japanese timeline. There's no way CV3 happened 100 years before CV1 anyways.

- John

The 100 year thing is from the Japanese intro to the game, but your right there's no way that's correct, it's supposed to be 200 years, which is why I think that part of the intro was changed in the US release. :)
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2007, 02:41:08 PM »
In Reply To #50

Dracula can only come backevery hundred years. But he can be summon in between those times.

Offline Kensuke

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2007, 02:46:56 PM »
Ironically, the American instruction manual seems to get it right by saying that CV3 happens 215 years before CV1. Who would have thought? So if the Japanese intro is incorrect, then you can't use it as definitive proof that Trevor *has* to be the first.

re: Charlotte

The sad thing is that she's IGA's strongest female to date unless you count Yoko.

I dunno, I suppose he kinda redeems himself by not letting Sypha's legacy die out.

- John
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 02:57:22 PM by Kensuke »

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2007, 03:09:34 PM »
In Reply To #54

However, that means the American version is incorrect as it is mistranslated from the original story and thus invalid as well. So they're both invalid. :o

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2007, 03:29:48 PM »
In Reply To #43

yes. I did. If people just want to bitch, find something else to play. It's really that simple. Again, Iga knows what he's doing. And that's the bottom line.

Welcome to the Castlevania dungeon forum! Where people bash Castlevania more than they praise it!
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline ringo

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2007, 03:30:46 PM »
It's idiotic threads like these that don't make me want to come here anymore.

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
  • Captain Obvious :(
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2007, 03:55:28 PM »
QFT.

Really, what's so special about Sonia other than her gender? If Legends starred a guy named Filly McGee, would you still raise a stink about it?
The only thing Sonia did was what every other Belmont did. That, and her awkward love fling with Alucard, which seemingly was just a lame gimmick to justify KCEN's use of Al.

Other than the the tired 'iga is sexist and hates everything i like' whining, what justifies Legends to be returned?
---------------------------------------
The Chapel of Resonance- OST's, reviews, translations, and the latest Fan Games- any and everything Castlevania!

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
Shes also anime! I like her design, thogh I'm not much for half neaked women going into battle.

VoDkA

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2007, 05:15:41 PM »
Yep. It's an equivalent of a fan work. The american division of konami never had complete control over the series and never will, seeing as their best and only effort to create a cv game was that poor resurrection with its retarded character designs (speaking mainly of villains. Dracula looks gay, the vampire woman is totally retarded, sonia looks like a horse etc) that eventually got killed when they got in trouble with the japanese division. Shows just how much influence on the series they have. ::)

Ah.  I see.  You just rikey Niponese-u.  Gotcha.  I hope you know that you're basing one outcome (America having little influence over Castlevania) on something unrelated (Castlevania: Resurrection, a so-called failure that no one here has ever played) when, in reality, it is probably more likely due to IGA's involvement.  We all know how he doesn't like people who aren't him screwing up continuity (more than he already has).  And, again, that's not the point, anyway.  The point is that CV64, LOD, and CotM are on some Konami-sanctioned timeline somewhere--and recently.

Welcome to the Castlevania dungeon forum! Where people bash Castlevania more than they praise it!

Thanks for paying no amount of attention to anything being said here, Rugal.  Thanks for being clueless, as always.  If you'd actually read the thread, you would have realized that it's not Castlevania that's being bashed, but rather IGA's failings that are being pointed out.  Again.  But, please, keep misunderstanding that most simple concept.  Please continue, by all means.

In Reply To #47

In my opinion, you have really low standards...because IGA is largely inconsistent in the quality of his work.  SotN was godly, AoS was pretty good, and DoS was decent; Chronicles and DX Chronicles weren't even his to begin with, so they were classic-good; CoD, LoI, PoR, and HoD were, IMO, bordering on terrible.  I'll be the first to admit that IGA's done SOME good things...but they haven't been ALL good, by any means.

...and yet you find yourself not only reading them, but also posting in them (as though anyone cares whether or not you find the thread idiotic).  Good point.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 05:29:03 PM by VoDkA »

Tags:

anything