Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848488 times)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Re: Castlevania Mirror of Fate ( 3DS per request )
« Reply #1515 on: May 29, 2012, 11:46:28 PM »
I'm pissing my pants here over the new Simon, almost literally. I mean, the Trevor design is great and all, but after seeing Simon absolutely wrecked after Chronicles, this design looks wonderful.

No generic Greco-Roman NES Simon, no tight leather Chronicles Simon, but a real, angry, barbaric looking Simon with a sexy awesome firebeard to boot.

Seriously, that thing is giving me chills. Move over Julius, Simon just took the Beardmont title.

Gameplay-wise this sounds like everything I've ever discussed that I've wanted in a Castlevania. Exploration of a Metroidvania combined with Classicvania level design, and a combat and movement system that complements the unique Belmont family weapon style. I don't see what there is not to like.

In addition, seeing the environments so far makes me feel like the non-Castlevania-like environments in Lords were completely intentional, because it wasn't a "Man vs Dracula" game. It was Castlevania: Dracula's quest, so it's only natural it wouldn't take place in the same environments a Belmont would go to. A Belmont game is a dark gothic adventure, but the creation of Dracula would be a dark fairytale.

I might be grasping at straws, but it seems so clever in retrospect.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1516 on: May 29, 2012, 11:59:41 PM »
It just occurred to me what if before this game if we were to reserve it at gamestop or on-line we were to get a download code for castlevania 1,2,or 3 3d that would be something if it's done like kid icarus then heck wow Just a thought to compliment MoF.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1517 on: May 30, 2012, 12:18:17 AM »
+1
Y'know I just realized something.

I have to buy a 3DS now.

Fuck.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Omegasigma

• Director
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #1518 on: May 30, 2012, 12:19:06 AM »
if we got a traditional dracula battle at the end of this game, and some classic music it'll be a winner 100% in my book, the last handheld CV was DXC, so im going crazy to see 2.5D done right, I havent been this excited since judgment, LoS didnt give me any hype at all.
Currently Involved in: Vampire blood Chronicals, Project Goldeneye

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #1519 on: May 30, 2012, 12:19:52 AM »
if we got a traditional dracula battle at the end of this game, and some classic music it'll be a winner 100% in my book, the last handheld CV was DXC, so im going crazy to see 2.5D done right

I rather liked DXC

Offline Omegasigma

• Director
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #1520 on: May 30, 2012, 12:20:48 AM »
+1
No dis to DXC, just the PSP screen gave me a migrane after so long, great game, just bad hardware, I ended up playing it on a psp2k with tv connections
Currently Involved in: Vampire blood Chronicals, Project Goldeneye

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1521 on: May 30, 2012, 12:28:07 AM »
No dis to DXC, just the PSP screen gave me a migrane after so long, great game, just bad hardware, I ended up playing it on a psp2k with tv connections

Yeah. Never was much of a fan of the PSP. It had its uses, though...

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #1522 on: May 30, 2012, 12:36:17 AM »
Holy crap the artworks and screens are AWESOME. Castlevania made its return.

Most of the game is set in the castle = yeah!

Also, Robert Carlyle! :)

Offline LoneChild

• C12H17N2O4P
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Ningun Lugar
    • Awards
« Reply #1523 on: May 30, 2012, 01:52:41 AM »
Sweet.

Trevor becoming Alucard now is kind of a given, with all that "lost soul" character stuff, and the obvious resemblance. I guess Gabriel just defeat him and turns him into a vampire to escape from his terrible, terrible loneliness. Predictible because it makes a lot of sense, I will accept it. In fact, the Belmonts being tagically chased down by the dark, while they try to fight the familiar curse fits this timeline themes just perfectly.
You see? being open minded is easy when the developers deliver. Just look at these screens. Sweet.

Did i say that I'm totally in love with Simon redesign? Hell, that beard  :)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #1524 on: May 30, 2012, 01:59:09 AM »
Simon and Trevor look MANLY! :D

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1525 on: May 30, 2012, 02:02:21 AM »
Finally saw and read the full scans.

"The lost soul" sounds like Alucard, and I don't think he's Trevor or Simon. Thank goodness the Belmonts are human, I didn't expect the article to answer the origin of Trevor.

Everything still sounds really promising, combat still worries me. I hope things don't drag out for too long, hard to make the call about things that were in LoS and how well they will transition to a side scroller without footage.

We'll find out everything Friday morning. :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 02:04:38 AM by OSM »

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1526 on: May 30, 2012, 02:11:23 AM »
Just finished to read the whole article and taking a closer look to the scans.

HELL. This is gonna be awesome. MoF may be the greatest Castlevania created for a while.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1527 on: May 30, 2012, 02:18:34 AM »
The art direction looks like a cartoonier, more stylized Lords of Shadow with a larger emphasis on color. In a way it greatly reminds me of League of Legends. I don't hate it but I still need to adjust to it, I think what will really sell me is how good it all looks in motion.

That giant red knight with the morning star has armor on that looks very similar to Simon's.

Offline Raxivace

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1528 on: May 30, 2012, 03:06:32 AM »
Sounds fantastic so far. I eagerly await this (And I find myself becoming happier and happier that I got a 3DS).
Who are you and why are you reading my signature?

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1529 on: May 30, 2012, 03:31:37 AM »
Sounds fantastic so far. I eagerly await this (And I find myself becoming happier and happier that I got a 3DS).

Quite the bombs happened yesterday, with a genuine reveal of this and the next main Shin Megami Tensei title coming to the 3DS. And people were saying a year ago this platform was doomed..

Tags: .....?