Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848900 times)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #1890 on: June 04, 2012, 09:10:37 PM »
Ok here's a honest, no bs, non wacky theory that I have:

What if Trevor was brainwashed and became a slave to Dracula, or some sorcerer? It would be sort of a homage to Richter being possessed in SOTN.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 09:12:45 PM by Kingshango »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #1891 on: June 04, 2012, 09:14:55 PM »
+3
I'm digging that trailer quite a lot.  :D
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Vrakanox

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1892 on: June 04, 2012, 09:16:37 PM »
After watching the trailer even I'm starting to believe it. Listen carefully to the voices. The main voice is Trevor, then you hear Simon say "That's the battle cross my father carried!" then you hear Trevor say "This I promise, you shall not stand alone against him".

Assuming he is talking to Simon and has retained his youth he's probably become Alucard. Now of course he could be talking to a character not yet revealed but I don't know. Right now my guess is that the four characters are Simon, Alucard, Trevor and maybe Gabriel.

Offline Lords of Shitow

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1893 on: June 04, 2012, 09:21:35 PM »
that art style reminded me of these rumors from 4chan. wonder if they were true after all and the person was just mixed up on a few things (trevor=alucard instead of simon, SOME subweapons returning not all of them, etc.). and when they say alucard has a fiery whip maybe he actually does, or maybe they were talking about gabriel and he uses a whip like in the LOS2 trailer.

as for the bit about simon looking into a mirror and seeing alucard maybe they saw a scene of him looking into the mirror his dad gave him and seeing his father, and the poster just mistook him for simon

Main character is Alucard but you use the Mirror to alternate between past and present. In the fucked up future you play as Alucard, and in the slightly less fucked up past you play as Simon. There are some obstacles you can't get past in one timeline so you have to go back and forth.

Narrative is that these two are "connected by a thread of fate" or whatever but it's pretty obvious Simon is Alucard. First they show Simon looking into the Mirror with Alucard on the other side of it, but then they flash "Dracula" and then use the same Mirror to show "Alucard" before introducing his character portrait.

Apparently it bridges LOS and the new console game.
More along the lines of the 2.5D Rondo of Blood remake than Symphony of the Night, if you can stomach that. I'm not usually a fan of that art style, but surprisingly it works.
Definite Classicvania but with some small LOS-like touches. Not as bad as it sounds, though.
It's virtually identical to LOS's art style but has a sort of painterly filter over everything to give it a parchment-y look, if that makes sense? So more cartoony, but definitely not anime.
Honestly felt more to me like ReBirth than any other recent Castlevania game.
Well, it's kind of non-linear in that there are multiple paths through levels and secrets, which apparently you'll be able to go back and get whenever you want. Taking different combinations of paths through levels apparently results in several different outcomes.
It looks like LOS on a 2D plane with a weird combination Street Fighter 4-meets-Valkyria Chronicles filter over it, so I think you'll probably be disappointed. Definitely not sprite-based, unfortunately.
Closest thing to GOW was a QTE on a mini-boss, but only after taking it down in a traditional Castlevania way (whipping the hell out of it and throwing axes).

The other gameplay touch it has similar to LOS is some occasional Uncharted-like climbing on vertical structures, but the 3D effect looks really neat when you climb around a curve on a cliff for example to reveal a new vista. But whenever you get to the top it re-orients itself and goes back to 2D. In the demo they only ever used that to establish new areas and connect levels, and when it happens there's even a map overlay in the style of the early games, showing where you're move on to.
It wasn't that bad. Only happened once when the boss had low health, and it was the same circle-timing thing from LOS. You ripped off the monster's horns then mask so you could carry on whipping it until it's dead. Felt more like a stage in a Zelda boss fight than GOW.
Simon and Alucard both use whips, but Simon's is traditional and Alucard's is fiery and shoots fireballs when "charged."
Yep, all the classics and they behave the exact same way as well.
(in response to question about classic subweapons (axe, knife, cross boomerang, hourglass etc))
No, unfortunately each sub-weapon has its own inventory and health is only regained at shrines. I miss hearts and those so-called "pork chops."
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 09:23:10 PM by Lords of Shitow »

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #1894 on: June 04, 2012, 09:25:35 PM »

Finally saw the trailer. Gameplay looks interesting!

The guys talking after the trailer made fun of the game at the end, calling it "Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Game of Thrones" or something.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #1895 on: June 04, 2012, 09:25:59 PM »
+1
After watching the trailer even I'm starting to believe it. Listen carefully to the voices. The main voice is Trevor, then you hear Simon say "That's the battle cross my father carried!" then you hear Trevor say "This I promise, you shall not stand alone against him".

Assuming he is talking to Simon and has retained his youth he's probably become Alucard. Now of course he could be talking to a character not yet revealed but I don't know. Right now my guess is that the four characters are Simon, Alucard, Trevor and maybe Gabriel.
Don't forget he seems to have white hair when he's seen at the door.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #1896 on: June 04, 2012, 09:26:13 PM »
The in-game footage looks very fluid. I had reservations about the shift between 2D and 3D, but it appears that it's nicely done here. There's as much background detail here as there was in Dracula X Chronicles, so that's a plus. And i'm digging the logo. My only qualm is Simon's Scottish accent.
So, Simon's mom chose to go to Scotland to get far away from there?  Ha.

I'm really liking the family dynamics in this game.  I like "my father" has been to this castle as a break from all the "my X grandfather was here".   Sounds like someone (Alucard?  =? Trevor?) will be helping out Simon for a change.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1897 on: June 04, 2012, 09:28:54 PM »
+1
That bit with Marie really surprised me, everything just came full circle.

Damn the game actually looks really smooth too! Hype!

I did not expect Simon to have an accent, but I like it. I can't help but keep making jokes about it comparing to those Pixar trailers about their new movie Brave.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 09:35:34 PM by OSM »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #1898 on: June 04, 2012, 09:33:15 PM »
+1
Yeah the framerate looks like sweet silky goodness. :3
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #1899 on: June 04, 2012, 09:35:09 PM »
It does indeed look pretty damn well made so far. The story is as little bit jarring with Trevor almost assuredly becoming Alucard and Simon being Trevor's son, but not nearly as much as LoS was. I'm still hoping that Alucard ends up being like Simon's half brother or uncle or just about anything other than Trevor.

To be honest, so far the story is largely modern Hollywood cliche. Hopefully it unfolds in an interesting way.

Out of Curiosity where the hell does LoS actually take place? It really doesn't seem like Transylvania with all these Scottish people running around.

Off Topic:
@Jorge...

Favorite Game: Vampire Killer

Y U No have Title Graphic?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 09:39:01 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1900 on: June 04, 2012, 09:40:02 PM »
Oh and is that Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy) I hear?

Edit: And  I hear Richard Madden (Robb Stark)? Or maybe im just watching too much Game of Thrones?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 09:48:04 PM by Kingshango »

Offline Black Cat

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #1901 on: June 04, 2012, 09:47:17 PM »
Cox took a picture with him and Jason Isaacs. He supposedly ran into them at the airport (it's on his twitter). Make of that what you will.

Though someone else upthread thought it was the guy who plays Robb Stark. I need to catch up on that series myself.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #1902 on: June 04, 2012, 09:48:25 PM »
that art style reminded me of these rumors from 4chan. wonder if they were true after all and the person was just mixed up on a few things (trevor=alucard instead of simon, SOME subweapons returning not all of them, etc.). and when they say alucard has a fiery whip maybe he actually does, or maybe they were talking about gabriel and he uses a whip like in the LOS2 trailer.

as for the bit about simon looking into a mirror and seeing alucard maybe they saw a scene of him looking into the mirror his dad gave him and seeing his father, and the poster just mistook him for simon
Yeah, the 4chan leaker does sound rather plausible.  Sounds like he's describing that boss that appears in the trailer when he mentioned ripping off its horns.

Funny how ridiculous Simon = Alucard sounds, while Trevor = Alucard makes a little bit of sense.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1903 on: June 04, 2012, 09:49:42 PM »
Off Topic:
@Jorge...

Favorite Game: Vampire Killer

Y U No have Title Graphic?

We do have it.  See?  You missed it (seriously).
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #1904 on: June 04, 2012, 09:53:31 PM »
+1
It's not showing up on my posts. At least it isn't for from my point of view.  :-\
Wait a minute... wth?

Also, Hope Trevor's wife is Sypha at least or else there will be RAGE. Not really. I never rage.
"Stuff and things."

Tags: .....?