Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848697 times)

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #2130 on: June 05, 2012, 09:58:13 PM »
Why does Soul of Darkness suck? I haven't played it so I wouldn't know, but I thought it looked pretty good.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2131 on: June 05, 2012, 10:00:05 PM »
It's OK.  It's not a bad game but it's not super-great.
I don't remember QTE's in it though.  Then again it wasn't the most memorable of games.  I'm at the final stage.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2132 on: June 05, 2012, 10:02:28 PM »
Probably lied and said she had a miscariage then had someone take Trevor far away from there right after she delivered. Gabriel went on in life thinking his only child was dead.
Marie is the biggest jerk in Lords, considering she also deceived him through the entirety of Lords 1 too.

I guess that makes her more distinct than the usual passive females of Castlevania.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 10:07:48 PM by thernz »

demonblade

« Reply #2133 on: June 05, 2012, 10:11:38 PM »
wait so the main guy from lords of shadow becomes dracula? i thought mathias cronqvist from castlevania lament of innocence was dracula...

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2134 on: June 05, 2012, 10:15:45 PM »
+1
Different timeline/universe altogether.
Lords of Shadow is set in a different universe than the original timeline with heroes, though it shares similar names and locales.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #2135 on: June 05, 2012, 10:17:55 PM »
Marie is the biggest jerk in Lords, considering she also deceived him through the entirety of Lords 1 too.

Sure she comes off as a bad wife and mother, but I blame the writers.  With all of the foreshadowing used throughout Lords of Shadow, no clue was given of Trevor's existence or that she had any knowledge of Gabriel's ultimate destiny....  In fact, Marie was going on about how Gabriel's heart was pure and he had won God's favor...

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #2136 on: June 05, 2012, 10:28:10 PM »

I guess that makes her more distinct than the usual passive females of Castlevania.

Makes me want to know how that mirror works.

Is it a "this will happen" or is it a "this may happen" kind of future sight?

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2137 on: June 05, 2012, 10:37:18 PM »

New pic

Edit new pics/ higher quality ones at least the last two

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 10:53:15 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2138 on: June 05, 2012, 11:07:24 PM »

New pic

Edit new pics/ higher quality ones at least the last two

Why does Trevor's model look so good all of a sudden?

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #2139 on: June 05, 2012, 11:10:33 PM »
Possible bullshots.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #2140 on: June 05, 2012, 11:11:25 PM »
Why does Trevor's model look so good all of a sudden?

That's the crazy part right  :o

It's really crisp and clear I don't know what is going on but I like the high quality images   ;D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:25:24 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2141 on: June 05, 2012, 11:25:30 PM »
That's the crazy part right  :o

It's really crisp and clear I don't know what the hell is going on but I like the high quality images   ;D

As someone who is playing through RE: Revelations right now, I think they bumped up the anti-aliasing for those screens. Other than that, I can see all of that occurring on the hardware.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2142 on: June 05, 2012, 11:26:55 PM »
And that's not a bad thing as long as there's a happy medium, and actually, above all, games are supposed to be fun.

Nobody wants to play a game where you can get out of every bad situation, but like I said, Lords was punishing enough without the hard to dodge grapple moves dealing even more damage. I died in 4-5 hits anyways.
But, isn't that more a problem with difficulty than anything else? I wouldn't call hard enemies that take 5 minutes to kill(a big complaint many have with LoS) and QTE(that deals some more damage) to even out the score that fair of a balance. Howabout no QTE and enemies that die with ONE 3-5 hit combo(weak attack, while strong attack would be 2-3 hit combo)?

And just a side note about the simplicity of arcade games... simplicity sometimes works. A lot of gaming aps are pretty simple. Hell, you can even say that a lot of the gaming aps out there, Angry Birds and yadda yadda yadda else, all bank on the fundamentals of early gaming, back when you didn't need scripted attacks or games that are more "interactive cinema" than, well games. Back when all you needed was a good idea and fun, addictive gameplay. No wonder they predict console gaming is going to die. Rising costs are literally killing companies, and a lot of game developers have lost sight of what games are SUPPOSED to be. Sometimes it takes one of the most simplest of ideas to slap you in the face and say, "So what if times change, and developers think they know it all. People still like fun, simple games! Look at them go crazy over them!!! Mankind hasn't changed as much as people think they have! We still LOVE to have fun!".

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2143 on: June 05, 2012, 11:30:20 PM »
As someone who is playing through RE: Revelations right now, I think they bumped up the anti-aliasing for those screens. Other than that, I can see all of that occurring on the hardware.

Cricket Silence Sound Effect

Anti-Aliasing?  :-\
(click to show/hide)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2144 on: June 05, 2012, 11:42:10 PM »
+1
But, isn't that more a problem with difficulty than anything else? I wouldn't call hard enemies that take 5 minutes to kill(a big complaint many have with LoS) and QTE(that deals some more damage) to even out the score that fair of a balance. Howabout no QTE and enemies that die with ONE 3-5 hit combo(weak attack, while strong attack would be 2-3 hit combo)?

And just a side note about the simplicity of arcade games... simplicity sometimes works. A lot of gaming aps are pretty simple. Hell, you can even say that a lot of the gaming aps out there, Angry Birds and yadda yadda yadda else, all bank on the fundamentals of early gaming, back when you didn't need scripted attacks or games that are more "interactive cinema" than, well games. Back when all you needed was a good idea and fun, addictive gameplay. No wonder they predict console gaming is going to die. Rising costs are literally killing companies, and a lot of game developers have lost sight of what games are SUPPOSED to be. Sometimes it takes one of the most simplest of ideas to slap you in the face and say, "So what if times change, and developers think they know it all. People still like fun, simple games! Look at them go crazy over them!!! Mankind hasn't changed as much as people think they have! We still LOVE to have fun!".

I actually liked the boss battles. I wasn't really complaining about them. My point was that there's something fun, at least to me, about the reversal of busting out of a grapple or kicking off a warg that I wouldn't get from the bad guy just doing damage to me if I dodged. While I don't like it when games go overboard on the cinematic, a little bit of well placed "cinematics" goes a long way in getting me immersed and feeling empowered as a player.

And when I said that, I was specifically thinking about arcade games, back when they were big and one of the most common phrases I heard was "I hate that bad guy's cheap *insert move here*!" and the usual response was "well then don't get hit, durr" which usually meant following a very, very specific pattern of movement and attack that gave you a sense of achievement when you pulled it off, but it wasn't really any fun to do. I agree that, many times, less is more. Probably why I still enjoy playing retro-titles.

That being said, I've never really been able to get into iPhone games other than Infinity Blade, Jetpack Joyride, and Kairosoft Games. Usually my games of choice when I'm on the train, but when I'm sitting down with time dedicated to gaming, I like slightly more complex fare.

Cricket Silence Sound Effect

Anti-Aliasing?  :-\

Programming technique that gets rid of jagged edges
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:45:32 PM by e105beta »

Tags: .....?