Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848941 times)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #3780 on: August 23, 2012, 06:25:02 AM »
Enemies taking over 9000 hits to kill is just counter intuitive in a tight 2D action game. The combat for Mirror of Fate is rooted in 3D gameplay theory, and restricting it to 2D is really hurting it.

If this was 3D, you could just go around the enemy and continue attacking, keeping the combat flowing and rake in more hits quickly. In 2D you need to back off, and wait. This makes slogging through the enemies a tedious and longer process than in Lords of Shadow.

Only that's not true. Dodging backwards before resuming attacking takes no more time in a 2D game than it does dodging sideways before resuming attacking in a 3D game.

There's also the fact that you can jump over or block attacks and instantly continue attacking, or the fact that even if you do retreat instead of something more twitch, you are given range options to close the gap.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3781 on: August 23, 2012, 07:23:10 AM »
+3
Your dodge area is incredibly restricted compared to a 3D environment. Not all attacks will allow you to get back in range in time. You cant just side step and go around them to continue the flow of attack. The concept flows much much better in 3D than it ever will in 2D as they have it here. Just watch the people playing the demo.

There are ways to fix this if you balance other factors right, but they simply chose to shoe horn LoS gameplay in almost verbatim without consideration for the 2D plane restrictions. It ends up coming off as silly and clunky.

EDIT:

Also when Trevor is whip swinging he looks like this;
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:29:11 AM by uzo »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #3782 on: August 23, 2012, 08:25:08 AM »
Your dodge area is incredibly restricted compared to a 3D environment. Not all attacks will allow you to get back in range in time. You cant just side step and go around them to continue the flow of attack. The concept flows much much better in 3D than it ever will in 2D as they have it here. Just watch the people playing the demo.

There are ways to fix this if you balance other factors right, but they simply chose to shoe horn LoS gameplay in almost verbatim without consideration for the 2D plane restrictions. It ends up coming off as silly and clunky.

EDIT:

Also when Trevor is whip swinging he looks like this;

Your dodge range might be limited, but the enemy is limited to the exact same two dimensions. Instead of enemies shockwaving and side swiping like they did in LoS to keep you in check, they would just focus more on thrusting and chopping attacks. As long as the enemy AI allows for jumping to be a reliable defense (which it didn't in LoS) that point is moot.

And the length of the whip on a basic direct attack is >= than the dodge roll distance, so horizontal range really doesn't seem like much the problem you're making it out to be, and if you're really pining for that extra half-second of hits if you end up too far, an area attack can be anywhere from 45% - 90% of the screen.

I think this guy really is just bad. Everything about the way he moves Trevor screams it. He walks face first into the bosses, and can't time his jumps very well. He also never blocks, and never does much beyond "mash mash mash unsituational attacks". I really don't think this has anything to do with dodge range or mechanical fluidity.

Then again, we won't really know until the game comes out.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3783 on: August 23, 2012, 08:28:39 AM »
wait why is there even an area attack if there's no 3D space (and i really doubt that there will be any enemy crowding (congested enemy placement is pretty much the worse thing you can do in a 2D game))
it's not like the enemies flinch/slow much from those attacks either

huh

i agree that the guy playing is pretty terrible though
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:31:51 AM by thernz »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3784 on: August 23, 2012, 08:36:31 AM »
+3
If that noob is what we have for an average gamer, then I fear we may have already descended into darker times.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3785 on: August 23, 2012, 08:57:35 AM »
wait why is there even an area attack if there's no 3D space (and i really doubt that there will be any enemy crowding (congested enemy placement is pretty much the worse thing you can do in a 2D game))
it's not like the enemies flinch/slow much from those attacks either

huh

i agree that the guy playing is pretty terrible though

Low risk low reward distance strikes? That's what I figure. Cox also said something about blocking projectiles.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3786 on: August 23, 2012, 09:20:04 AM »
that seems pretty useless with the large amount of health enemies have and lack of needing crowd control and projectiles
its inclusion probably influenced how badly the player played

yes, it's a standard for players to be expected to play well if they want to succeed, but it's also the responsibility of the game designer to guide the player into that direction. the only feedback is that enemies now take a dozen hits, and as you can tell from people's reactions, that's really vague feedback if you actually can dispatch enemies in far lesser hits. i'm aware it's only a demo, but that probably makes it even more important to show your mechanics.

hopefully, the full game is better at explaining itself.
(ofc i dont mean like blatant tutorials and etc, you can be much more subtle about things. that is part of design too.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:25:46 AM by thernz »

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3787 on: August 23, 2012, 09:47:34 AM »
that seems pretty useless with the large amount of health enemies have and lack of needing crowd control and projectiles
its inclusion probably influenced how badly the player played

yes, it's a standard for players to be expected to play well if they want to succeed, but it's also the responsibility of the game designer to guide the player into that direction. the only feedback is that enemies now take a dozen hits, and as you can tell from people's reactions, that's really vague feedback if you actually can dispatch enemies in far lesser hits. i'm aware it's only a demo, but that probably makes it even more important to show your mechanics.

hopefully, the full game is better at explaining itself.
(ofc i dont mean like blatant tutorials and etc, you can be much more subtle about things. that is part of design too.)

Yeah, the difference in impact between the two types of strikes could be much better communicated as of now.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3788 on: August 23, 2012, 12:06:08 PM »
The way I understood it is this... It's like a Metroidvania in that the castle is one big level you traipse around, getting power ups that let you access areas previously off-limits. It's not a Metroidvania in that you don't get loots or beef up your character by killing guys, as experience is strictly for buying new combos.
I always thought the first one WAS what Metroidvanias were. I mean, the whole "getting loot and beef up your characters" through leveling and gaining battle experience were more RPG asspects. Hell, I even remember that's exactly what people were saying when SotN came out, that it was a Metroid-like game with RPG-like aspects.

I always felt Metroidvania was more "free exploration of a large area where you gain new abilities to reach areas you could not reach previously". That's extremely Metroid-like. Though, when I think of those, I tend to separate battle with exploration. Most Metroidvanias tend to use RPG-like experience systems, though I don't think that is definitive to the Metroidvania style(or has to be definitive).

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3789 on: August 23, 2012, 01:22:55 PM »
+3
If that noob is what we have for an average gamer, then I fear we may have already descended into darker times.

I read that last part of the sentence in Patrick Stewart's voice.
"THESE ARE DARK TIMES."
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3790 on: August 24, 2012, 08:46:19 PM »
Glad i'm not the only one.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3791 on: August 25, 2012, 09:23:36 AM »
The way I understood it is this... It's like a Metroidvania in that the castle is one big level you traipse around, getting power ups that let you access areas previously off-limits. It's not a Metroidvania in that you don't get loots or beef up your character by killing guys, as experience is strictly for buying new combos.
For me "metroidvania" is a free exploration game, where all levels merged in one big map and you must find upgrades to procced into the locked areas. RPG elements are not neccesary for that definition, since metroid-like gameplay could exist without them.

Offline sprkywlnt73

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #3792 on: August 26, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »
+2
Man. I can't wait to play these!

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #3793 on: August 27, 2012, 09:08:09 AM »
+1
random useless fact: Wing Nut's favorite activity is "Castlevania 2095"

Offline Havatchu

• Beau Shion
  • Hunter in Training
  • Gaze Upon Me Hypocrite
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #3794 on: August 27, 2012, 12:24:41 PM »
God I love that game

I assume his design is based off of Gaibon?
Reluctant fighting game, Mega Man/X, Dragon Quest, and Castlevania lifelong fan.

What do I do with all these Belmonts?

Tags: .....? 

anything