Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848642 times)

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #4545 on: February 08, 2013, 09:38:37 AM »
I've got a better question. Are you going to wait for the HD version?

It hasn't been confirmed that there will be an HD release, but I would be perfectly willing to get it in addition to having the 3DS version. Cox still only said that they "might consider it". Not that they would consider, but that they might. I wouldn't count on it yet.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4546 on: February 08, 2013, 09:52:12 AM »
Also, fuck Cox & MS for all the shiny ledges & shit. Here's the thing. My player character, as is common in most modern platform games, can grab ledges. I can see that shit simply by jumping towards a ledge and seeing what happens. (Although I'm sure you've insisted on interrupting my gaming experience with an inane textual reminder that this is, in fact, the case.) I'm not a moron, and most gamers are relatively cognizant enough to visually identify a ledge or outcropping without having to make them more annoying than the lights on a police cruiser. And, if MS was worried we might get confused with things that look like ledges but aren't then here's an idea for you. DON'T PUT SHIT IN THE BACKGROUND THAT LOOKS LIKE A LEDGE BUT ISN'T ONE!
On a similar not, is it really necessary to make the 3 foot tall lever switch randomly placed in the abandoned wooden house glow with a golden sheen? And, once again, thank you for the texual reminder that I can interact with the plainly obvious prop with the action button. I wasn't entirely sure if the action button in this game was for the same purpose as the action button in EVERY OTHER GAME I EVER PLAYED BEFORE!

It's not about gamers being idiots. I'd bet they didn't originally have the shiny platform thing, but in alpha or beta testing realized that the direction the player is supposed to go wasn't always terribly obvious. No reason to turn an action game like LoS into a "Where do I go now" type of thing like Simon's Quest.

The problem is that there are a lot of ledges that blend into the background and/or don't look like anything you could potentially grab onto. Unless the camera focuses in on your path (which it didn't always do in LoS), having the shiny platforms is a simple way to highlight the path. I don't see an issue with it, especially since it's not like older games where the objects you have to interact with have a slightly different look than ones that are merely meant to be background.

Same goes for the whip swinging points. Some of them don't look like they'd be things you could swing from. Having the player need to do a lot of aimless jumping and dying just to find out which way you're supposed to go isn't exactly a product of good design either.

I've got a better question. Are you going to wait for the HD version? I think we all know Cox by now and when he says "we want the most people eperience this game" and "the hd version exists" it sounds to me like a tease. We all know he's tight lipped when he wants to.

I would LOVE to be able to play this game, but that said, even if an HD version gets released, isn't it probable that it'll be on another Nintendo system?

I'd love to see a PC-based package of all three LoS games though. That'd be amazing!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:54:39 AM by DoctaMario »

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4548 on: February 08, 2013, 02:14:59 PM »
The only thing missing from these videos is awesome music.
Damn I miss Michiru Yamane.

Yea me as well.

The game itself seems like an enjoyable one.

Platforming returning as well as dark and gothic scenery.

But the soundtrack just leads way more to be desired.

MS really could have won more fans over if they produced better music for this game.

Also 2 or 3 remixes here and there would be nice.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #4549 on: February 08, 2013, 02:29:16 PM »
God... the castle looks so fucking empty...

Alucard is Trevor.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 02:32:04 PM by Maedhros »

Offline flyingchai

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #4550 on: February 08, 2013, 02:57:36 PM »
But the soundtrack just leads way more to be desired.

You all know the music was turned off for these particular gameplay videos, right?
The tunes in the videos with Cox's commentary actually sounded good to me, especially the music in the video with Simon in the Cursed Village and the fight against the Daemon Lord.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 03:04:18 PM by flyingchai »
http://flyingchai.deviantart.com - My art here is usually CV inspired
http://www.twitter.com/flyingchai01 - Tweeting more and more lately

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4551 on: February 08, 2013, 03:04:07 PM »
Yeah it just shows off some gameplay aspects and has the music turned off.

The castle is kind of empty but it's hard to say with just bits and pieces of game play.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #4552 on: February 08, 2013, 03:06:04 PM »
Yeah it just shows off some gameplay aspects and has the music turned off.

The castle is kind of empty but it's hard to say with just bits and pieces of game play.
There's almost 0 empty corridors on the old games, unless they are transitional or platforming heavy (and that's not a guarantee). It's the difference between an action platformer (any other Castlevania game) and an action game with platforming (LoS series).

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4553 on: February 08, 2013, 03:07:11 PM »
+1
You all know the music was turned off for these particular gameplay videos, right?

Yea obviously lol.

I can hear ya know. ;)

I was referring to the music I have heard in general.

It just isn't catchy or unique anymore like it used to be in the old series.

Not really a fan of the whole "ambient" type music.

I want some music thats going to have me humming it through the day such as Vampire Killer and Bloody Tears once did so long ago.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4554 on: February 08, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »
Not much difference interview wise but here it is being played on a 3dsxl

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate QA with Dave Cox

so big  :o
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4555 on: February 08, 2013, 03:54:41 PM »

Alucard is Trevor.

And Finkle is Einhorn. Einhorn is a man!

Im sorry, what you typed reminded me of Pet Detective for a minute.

Here's hoping whatever caused Trevors transformation into Alucard is a logical one and not because the screenwriter said "Why fucking not?"

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4556 on: February 08, 2013, 04:08:53 PM »
Going over the Alucard preview it seems he gets the Demonic Wings power-up by drinking the Daemon Lord's blood?

That's what it looked like to me.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4557 on: February 08, 2013, 04:27:08 PM »
Going over the Alucard preview it seems he gets the Demonic Wings power-up by drinking the Daemon Lord's blood?

That's what it looked like to me.

Yes, prior to the bossfight he was unable to double jump.

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4558 on: February 08, 2013, 05:49:50 PM »
Yes, prior to the bossfight he was unable to double jump.

That was obvious enough.  I was referring to the story element in relation to Alucard being a creature of the night.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #4559 on: February 08, 2013, 08:00:02 PM »
I wonder if that's how Alucard will get more abilities, by drinking the defeated enemy's blood?

BTW the bat swarm is a neat sub weapon/ability
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Tags: .....? 

anything