Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848986 times)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #4935 on: February 28, 2013, 02:14:40 PM »
Well unlike Fire Emblem, the character models have feet and not peg legs.

:D

I forgot to say that doh!!! +1 to you good sir  ;D

on the other hand some of those neo-gaf members I know I would not get along with most of them some of the complaints are redicious their being silly and I hate that. Thankfully there is at least some members there that have a mind like this"famassu" also..... Gosh is everything metroidvania with everyone why?!!!! Oh my freaking gosh now I know why I'm hating mv more and more now their freaking overated!  >:(
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 02:16:37 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4936 on: February 28, 2013, 02:22:53 PM »
I only had the chance to play the demo for a few minutes before class, but did any one else feel like they were way to small? The camera pulls back really far, and the attack range of Trevor and of the first boss felt absurd. They could pull the camera in a lot closer and just reduce the attack ranges. It feels really awkward. Just the distance the Trevor dashes by, the length of all the weapons, and so on all feels way to big. You can barely see any of the details on the character models because of the camera. The backgrounds are very pretty though, and while I'm sure they want to show them off the scale just feels odd. I wish the camera could be more like the one in Dracula X Chronicles. I don't want to comment on the combat yet as I only got through the first corridor.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4937 on: February 28, 2013, 02:24:22 PM »
I am really happy that people like this game.
All this positive feedback, makes me think of buying used 3DS somewhere along the way.

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4938 on: February 28, 2013, 02:33:09 PM »
Eh.  NeoGAF just has a bunch of Iga piners.

They just want the same exact game over and over with a different skin.

Kinda sad when you think about it.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4939 on: February 28, 2013, 03:01:34 PM »
I only had the chance to play the demo for a few minutes before class, but did any one else feel like they were way to small? The camera pulls back really far, and the attack range of Trevor and of the first boss felt absurd. They could pull the camera in a lot closer and just reduce the attack ranges. It feels really awkward. Just the distance the Trevor dashes by, the length of all the weapons, and so on all feels way to big. You can barely see any of the details on the character models because of the camera. The backgrounds are very pretty though, and while I'm sure they want to show them off the scale just feels odd. I wish the camera could be more like the one in Dracula X Chronicles. I don't want to comment on the combat yet as I only got through the first corridor.

I even had trouble synch blocking enemies at points not sure about the 3dsxl version but overall not much of a problem I'll get better overtime I'm rough around the edges and a bit dull I got to sharpen my skills, I'm at my worst right now. Also my bro just tried the demo as well and he likes it, also I tried it again and I do see some framedrops but I really had to look at it. I still do not get the attack sponge complaint the guys die quick if you know what you are doing. boomerang is hecka strong and nice stun effect.

You sir are feaking awesome  :)

I'm sick of mv's and dislike them for the most part now because of this very reason(well one of them anyways). Let's move foward and not use sprites from 93-94'  :P

I am really happy that people like this game.
All this positive feedback, makes me think of buying used 3DS somewhere along the way.

Do it I think you will not regret it  :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 03:09:24 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #4940 on: February 28, 2013, 03:55:40 PM »
+4

Thats quite a quick dismissal. I'll hold out until I've played the whole thing, but I'm definitely worried at this point. The skeletons in the first room take about 10 hits to kill. Compared to the old CV games, thats insane.

And Metroidvanias don't all have to be the same. Circle of the Moon feels very different from all of the other IGA games. They really started to feel repetitive after HoD because they all become the same-old collectathons with nearly identical abilities that let you progress further. Despite all of HoDs and Circle of the Moons faults, they feel drastically different from the last 4 Metroidvanias.

Theres nothing sad about wanting more exploration in the vain of IGA's games, as there was still room to do something more unique. The problem was the sheer amount of laziness on Konami's part. Reusing the same artwork and the basic structure for progression in every game gets old fast.

I really respect that Mercury Steam is trying to do something new, but I fear they aren't really taking a step forward. Introducing a fun combo system while throwing the pacing to the wind isn't really an improvement, its just different.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline Dragon Warrior

• I am the greatest hero
  • I am the greatest hero
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
« Reply #4941 on: February 28, 2013, 04:19:38 PM »
Well i got the demo, its kickass the game has a solid gameplay and awesome places but the soundtracks look like god of war i really miss the old castlevania games soundtracks they are epic and beautiful i remember Castlevania Dawn of sorrow soundtracks it has the best soundtracks ever.

So i cant wait for this castlevania game btw i want to p;ay by Alucard, Simon and Gibrell

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4942 on: February 28, 2013, 04:21:25 PM »
I just like the LoS story a lot better.  I don't want Metroidvania to go away but I'd like it to be spread out and give other genre's that can expand the series as a whole a chance.  Make them sparse over time so it still has a new feel.  In the beginning you start out with small stuff like with the NES but over time you will expect it to be more, with more detail and even more in general length.

Of course I could just give you the question of what would you rather have?

This game or Judgment 2?

Which I understand is unfair.

I was interested in Castlevania: The Arcade, I thought that was interesting.  But that was only in Japan as an Arcade unit.

As for the repetition, it is but I feel with everything after Aria, new installments have taken a redundant turn and I feel the story becomes less interesting with all the jumps and timeskips.  IMO it's as if Mathias just gets resurrected on a bi century basis, and some things on the Belmont clan losing the whip are unclear, along with where the Stones of Vampiric power come from and what not.  It just got convoluted to me.  And in these installments the core gameplay remained the same with just a gimmick tacked on to it.

What Konami will likely take from Mirror of Fate in the future is likely the departure of sprites but I can't say for certain, with sprites there is only so much you can do but even then on the opposite side there is so much more they still CAN do.

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #4943 on: February 28, 2013, 04:22:40 PM »
Nice! Didn't have the need of that stupid 3DS after OoT and Shinobu. Now that I need it, it's gone... Well, still it's a Demo but I better find it before march 5...

Offline Dragon Warrior

• I am the greatest hero
  • I am the greatest hero
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
« Reply #4944 on: February 28, 2013, 04:24:18 PM »
What the hell you lost it too bad bro you must find it for only for this game

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4945 on: February 28, 2013, 04:31:26 PM »
+1

Of course I could just give you the question of what would you rather have?

This game or Judgment 2?

Which I understand is unfair.

Yes, it is unfair. I agree that the recent Castlevania games, with the exception of Dracula X Chronicles, have been either really low quality or are really repetitive, like the DS games. But we don't have to simply make a choice between IGA and Mercury Steam.

Franz Kafka

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4946 on: February 28, 2013, 04:35:34 PM »
Yes, it is unfair. I agree that the recent Castlevania games, with the exception of Dracula X Chronicles, have been either really low quality or are really repetitive, like the DS games. But we don't have to simply make a choice between IGA and Mercury Steam.

Agreed.  I think it comes down to what Konami as a company wants to do with the IP.  Whether it is handed to Iga or outsourced to something else or whatever is up to them.

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4947 on: February 28, 2013, 04:44:16 PM »
What Konami will likely take from Mirror of Fate in the future is likely the departure of sprites but I can't say for certain, with sprites there is only so much you can do

Funny you should say this, because while waiting at a bus stop I decided to purchased Wrath of the titans for my mobile and in many ways it felt like a simplified 2D version of the same genre as LOS complete with QTE like sequences to finish some of the bosses off. I was pleasantly surprised with it, and couldn't help thinking that everything in MOF could easily have been done in 2D the only difference is that it probably wouldn't have had as much sales potential because modern gamers love their 3D graphics and of course the 3DS 3d effect wouldn't be as impressive.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4948 on: February 28, 2013, 04:45:26 PM »
Agreed.  I think it comes down to what Konami as a company wants to do with the IP.  Whether it is handed to Iga or outsourced to something else or whatever is up to them.

Besides I don't think there's a IGA to return it to anyway. So they have to outsource it to another team. But like you said it's ultimately up to Konami.

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4949 on: February 28, 2013, 05:04:44 PM »
Besides I don't think there's a IGA to return it to anyway. So they have to outsource it to another team. But like you said it's ultimately up to Konami.

Did something happen to em?

Tags: .....? 

anything