Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Nintendo Wii U Live Stream  (Read 9071 times)

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 09:14:07 AM »
Thanks for the video links!

I tried the Wii U at PAX this year and I have to say that I liked it. The Wii U Gamepad is a lot lighter than it looks (I almost want to say lighter than a 3DS) and pretty comfortable in the hands. I think it was a super smart move to switch from the Circle Pads to the regular Analog sticks, and I say this since I just picked up and played and didn't feel awkward doing it (I remember using the Circle Pad on the 3DS and feeling awkward at first).

Wait in line to get one? Not for me, but I will try to get it as close to launch as possible (not to mention I have old coworkers who would probably pick me up one from the big N if I asked). I also think the large third party lineup is a great direction for Nintendo to take, if we remember the 3DS's lackluster launch lineup, Nintendo has really taken to heart the lessons learned from that. I like that, shows they've grown a bit and understand the market is volatile and a hot new device really isn't worth much without content.  ;D

As for those mentioning the price point, I think that's reasonable for a new console price. Am I one of the few that remembers the PS3 launch price? Now that was steep. I mean if we compare it to what's in market right now, it's still competitive with consoles that have been out for years where manufacturing and parts costs have dropped significantly over the years.

Ok, taking a break since this definitely sounds like Nintendo fan-boi ravings. Nintendo has claimed that this console is more future worthy and will remain competitive in the market. I'm kind of doubtful of that statement, since Microsoft and Sony can push some really mean hardware to smoke out Nintendo's game (think back to Dreamcast and PS2) and make it the dinosaur in terms of computing power and graphics. But currently if Nintendo had anyone willing to push the hardware I'm confident it would look better than their console competition (though not the almighty PC master race!).

tl/dr; gonna pick one up day one out of principle, to support the company/friends, price isn't that bad compared to previous console launches and current consoles on market, doubtful of the future proof "muscle" of the system (looking at you Sega).

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 11:32:57 AM »
The only REAL question that matters now and they not responded: It will be region-locked or region-free? This thing has a major potential to make them sell this video-game or make it lose various fans.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 01:27:40 PM »
When has a Nintendo system ever NOT been region locked?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 01:29:28 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 01:33:45 PM »
When has a Nintendo system ever NOT been region locked?

With all their handhelds, if that counts. :p

But yeah, it would be nice if the Wii U did like the PS3 in not region-locking games. When all the US got was a digital download of Siren: Blood Curse, it was nice to be able to import and play the UK disc with no hassle.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 01:46:10 PM »
Yeah, I meant console.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 01:50:43 PM »
With all their handhelds, if that counts. :p
With 3DS being a exception, what I think is a wrong move.

If they dont add a region lock, less people will try to mod the system, with will be better for themselves. Also I didnt wanna to buy another videogame only to play UK or JP titles. It seems that they did a region-lock in Wii because the EU and JP firmwares are different than the US (if you update via homebrew with a wrong one you will brick your console) but if that the only reason they could simply do a universal firmware before launching the console and start to doing universal updates. What they did is lazy and us players have the right to choose if we will play a game imported (even if we didnt understand the language lol).

Now if thats only because the Rating from these countries are different, its still BS, because the buyers will know what they ae buying before-hand. If a kid use a credit card from theirs mom or dad and manage to import something without them knowing, they are stupid, if even when the game are delivered and they still didn discover, they are blind and the kid is Batman.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 04:54:43 PM »
You didn't hear this from me bu~t it all boils down to piracy and protecting Nintendo's "property".

Also, the DSi was the first handheld by Nintendo with region locking (for the what, 3 DSi specific titles that were released?).

The industry is a weird and sometimes shady place, just take your "Red Pill" and carry on. So, booyeah, let's buy some Wii U consoles!

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 05:03:08 PM »
Oy, the 3DS is region-locked? Grumble, grumble.

Thankfully with the SNES and N64, playing Japanese games on a US console is easy-peasy, just get rid of the plastic tabs that prevent the cartridges from being pushed all the way down.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 06:07:02 PM »
If they think that region-locking a console will "stop piracy" and will be "protecting their property" they need to re-think about that. If a guy cant play a game because of that he will..
A: Not buy the console or...
B: Buy the console, but dislike that and only MAYBE buy a second console to play the game or...
C: Try to remove this lock.

Each time that one C guy appears, the chance of they finding a way to do it increases, if they remove the region lock they at same time in the majority of times finds a way to play pirated games. If since the beggining the videogame doesnt have this, less guys will try to do that. Piracy? How would a region-free console playing a original game be piracy? Protecting property? If you are playing a original game made to be played in this console they are not losing anything, instead this will be protecting their property because less people will open their consoles and try to mod them.

Im not trying to impose this as a "right" or "wrong" thinking, but thats what I think and to me these things are true. This treatment is like a mother trying to impose to a 30 years guy what he can and what he cant do in his own car or house or something else. lol
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 06:10:13 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 07:30:19 PM »
I don't think region lock is as much of a factor in whether someone tries to hack a game system as you think. You're forgetting that a great majority of hackers do so for the shear challenge of it.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 07:43:14 PM »
 But if its challenge will give some benefit to him (or the community if the guy likes to help others), the time spent trying will increase, raising the chance of finding a way to exploit the system. Lets not forget too that with more persons trying to do that and sharing what they find, the chances of sucess increase too.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 07:48:32 PM »
+1
I think it's inevitable either way and they should do what the OUYA guys are doing and just make the system's fully customizable.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 08:12:24 PM »
Yes, I agree with you about that, its inevitable. I didnt know that OUYA guys, but I like the concept that you described.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 08:44:09 PM »
Perhaps someone can answer a question I have about the current editions of this game. Arkham Asylum makes me sick. I never really experience motion sickness from video games, but this one really does me in every time because of the low angle cam that shakes around a ton whenever Batman runs.

So, can anyone tell me if the sequel has the same kinda camera? I'm reeeaaally hoping not. I want to love the first one, but as it is, I doubt I'll ever finish it unless I just never run anywhere. I also don't know if I'll buy the sequel ever unless it fixes the camera.

Wow, that blows.  I'd have to compare the two side-by-side, but I'm fairly sure it's the same engine in both games.  I know the camera in Arkham City doesn't cut way up when you start running.  Maybe watch some Youtube gameplay videos of Arkham City to see if it bothers you?

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 09:38:24 PM »
Wow, that blows.  I'd have to compare the two side-by-side, but I'm fairly sure it's the same engine in both games.  I know the camera in Arkham City doesn't cut way up when you start running.  Maybe watch some Youtube gameplay videos of Arkham City to see if it bothers you?
Thats a good idea BTW, it will not make him feel bad again if the camera in the video shake as well?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags: