Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Which Do You Guys Think Is The Worst Contra  (Read 5816 times)

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Which Do You Guys Think Is The Worst Contra
« on: January 04, 2008, 10:57:25 AM »
Which Contra do yall think is the worst one? I hate III, the music sucks, it's insanely frustrating due to the infinite enemies that respawn as soon as you kill them and rush you like crazy, and the graphics look drab and depressing. I've never had the patience to finish it w/out cheats and that's saying alot coming from me because I never cheat at any game but III's just crap and I only played through it for the story.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 12:08:27 PM by The Last Belmont »
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
Re: Which Do You Guys Think Is The Worst Contra
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 01:48:14 PM »
Dude. :o You're such a gay. III is amazing. The music ROCKS. The graphics are rather bright and colorful, and finely detailed. It's also by far the easiest in the series (unless you're playing hard mode, that is).

Dunno about worst. I've played Contra and Super Contra (arcade and NES versions for both), III, 4, Hard Corps, and Shattered Soldier, and loved 'em all.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 02:39:13 PM »
easy? I don't know that one just gives me headaches cuz you don't have any way to dodge all the constant enemies coming at you and no time to shoot them, as well as the overhead segments which always take me eons to finish. I can breeze through contra and super contra no probs but that one is a beast and it just really doesn't feel like a contra game with all the dull graphics and annoying soundtrack. Oh and just for the books I'm straight. Workin' on 4 right now and it's a blast has that oldschool feel that's missing from 3.

The Arcade super contra is crazy hard bro, mainly due to control issues on the overhead levels that were fixed in the nes release, you really have to work to pass those levels in the arcade as your laser and most guns won't shoot at a 45 degree angle from your guy but more of like a 30 degree one when you press the diagonal and shoot button which can be really frustrating.

I hear lots of people say they don't really care for Contra Force on the ol' nes, I liked that one personally cuz you get 4 people to choose from and it's pretty tough.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 02:50:50 PM by The Last Belmont »

Offline Acunia

• Milk and cookies!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 05:58:27 PM »
I didn't even have to think

Contra Force  :( its horrible imo
(keep in mind that I haven't playd the two PSX ones yet).

oh and hi people! :D
haven't posted much sins the old forums screw up.

Juno106

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 08:01:13 PM »
Hard Corps for Sega Genesis.

blechh

Steve

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 04:09:16 AM »
Probably the arcade version of the original Contra, or either version of Super Contra.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 02:52:33 PM by Steve »

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 09:54:29 AM »
I haven't played Contra Force or Hard Corps or either of the PSX Contras, and I've barely touched Super C.  But I adore Contra III.  I'm not sure how you can say the graphics are dull unless you think the same of Shattered Soldier.  They both have that brownish palette.  Of the Contras I've played, I'd have to say Neo Contra is the least-awesome, but it's still not a bad game.

Offline elbryan42

• Bargle Nawdle Zouss???
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 10:48:53 AM »
The arcade versions of Contra and Super Contra. Washed out graphics, very short levels, control that seems off. Followed close by C: The Contra Adventure.
----------------------------------------------------
Check out Elbryan42's Doom Depot! Check out the Doom 64 TC and download some Doom music.
http://doomdepot.doom2.net/

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 03:58:43 PM »

Hahahahaha very funny. Contra III happens to be my favorite Contra ever cause it looks and sounds great even today. Plus, it's actually beatable. The other games are crazy hard. Difficulty in Contra III is just right IMO. I wish the game was longer though.

Anyway, the two Contra games on the psone are the worst in the series by far. And the original Contra isn't that fantastic either, at least not compared to some of its sequels. I know it's a classic and you're supposed to always love the classics, but the series really improved as it went on.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 05:53:24 PM »
And the original Contra isn't that fantastic either, at least not compared to some of its sequels. I know it's a classic and you're supposed to always love the classics, but the series really improved as it went on.

are you talking about the arcade or nes version? That's my opinion exactly about the arcade contra and arcade super contra, they just weren't programmed very well. If they just had tight controls like the nes ones and the ball jump instead of the crappy jumping sprite they used they would have been much better.

jaybee

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
Can somebody agree with me in aninstant that CONTRA Force is the worst game evr in the contra series???!!!! its really out of the story line!!!

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 11:14:42 PM »
You haven't played an awful Contra till you've played Legacy of War or C The Contra Adventure, there's a reason Konami didn't ask Appaloosa to do another one, two bad strikes were bad enough, they didn't need to strike out with the Contra series. Thankfully Shattered Soldier was good (haven't tried Neo Contra), and Contra returned the series to it's former form, run and gun old school style without bosses every 5 seconds.

Tags: