Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: New Castlevania Season  (Read 32064 times)

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2021, 07:55:59 AM »
+1
omg my wig flew. What a trailer. Carmilla seems to have gone full LoS1 too, clothing wise

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2021, 03:04:43 PM »
Yeah, the new trailer looked like it could be good. I'll give it a shot.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2021, 06:27:25 AM »
+1
Alucard’s shield looms large in the trailer.  I have to wonder if there’s a story behind it.  Since it’s an heirloom from his mother’s side of the family, I wonder if the people he’s helping in this season are actually relatives on his human side which leads to him claiming his inheritance.  That would be a marvelous thing to explore.  And now I’m wondering who his mother’s family might be and if they have any ties to the Lecarde family.

EDIT:  Rewatched the trailer to see if it fit this theory, and the woman he talked to had a bit darker skin than what I would expect Lisa’s family to have.  But I still have to wonder if there’s a story about her family in here somewhere.

NEW THOUGHT:  I wonder if they’ll be going for the same demographic in the successor series?  What if they decided to make a Portrait of Ruin animation aimed at older teens or even children?  They could place it in the same universe, but the original MA series wouldn’t need to be required watching for this audience if they explained what you needed to know.  Or would that be asking for trouble haha.  Star Tek Prodigy and Star Trek Discovery exist in the same universe yet have different target audiences.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 03:25:58 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2021, 04:34:27 PM »
+1
They should make a completely original story, set perhaps a century after Leon or Trevor. People say they should adapt Rondo or Symphony because they’re the “most popular,” but if/when they butcher the story or take some creative liberties here ‘n there, people will lose their minds. Just look at the reactions to their adaptation of Dracula’s Curse/Curse of Darkness. It’s barely tolerated here lol

At least with a new narrative, they can basically do whatever they want with brand new characters; they don’t have to necessarily adhere to preconceived notions of the fanbase so strictly
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 04:36:44 PM by crisis »

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2021, 07:19:00 PM »
you're the minority. hope they go for Rondo

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2021, 08:03:00 PM »
you're the minority. hope they go for Rondo

And when they start changing stuff within Rondo’s plot & introduce elements that you’re unfamiliar or disagree with, don’t complain

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2021, 10:47:35 PM »
The trailer is something! It's interesting.

But before I'll watch season 4, I'll wait for everyone's comments first.

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2021, 12:38:00 PM »
And when they start changing stuff within Rondo’s plot & introduce elements that you’re unfamiliar or disagree with, don’t complain

don't worry, i'm a bitch but not that sort

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2021, 09:55:13 PM »
+1
Regardless of what they do, the creators of the show have done the unthinkable task of adapting Castlevania into something modern audiences like. I thank them for that and for giving new blood to the series.
None of what they produced can objectively be seen as bad, and it seems like they're actually integrating more elements from the games as time goes on.
I have full confidence that anything they put out will be, at least, entertaining.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline angevil

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: New Castlevania Season
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2021, 12:10:38 AM »
+2
I would like to see a spin-off series about 1999 war, Julius and also the whole Soma Cruz story. Alucard would also be present in it.

Offline DJ_BORG

• Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2021, 01:34:20 PM »
I'm sorry for being kinda a letdown, but absolutely NO amount of "easter eggs" or pretty looking animation I think will save Season 4. Game of Thrones Vampire Edition may be Castlevania in style, but I don't think it will ever be in substance. Netflixvania is supposed to be “based on/inspired by the game”. Now, unless a series is in the public domain, the copyright holder has the rights to disagree on a portrayal of the characters or the plot - which was why IGA fervently refused the animated film written by Ellis in the late 2000s the first place (since most of the characterizations used in the game was fleshed out by IGA and is why Season 1 is the most Castlevaniaish). Unfortunately, due to the fact that IGA left Konami, they agreed to whatever Shankar wanted for that sweet cash. In this case Vampire Game of Thrones. When you deal with an established fiction, you will have to at least adhere to the true characterization of the characters - this is the bare minimum. No movie based on a true story that uses the REAL identities of the original persons change their characters. They may exaggerate their reaction and the events they faced, but never the base characters. Otherwise, why do you even call it “based on”? There is nothing you base on except visuals - that are not even entirely accurate since they nitpick the characters that they decided to translate into Netflixvania based on whatever the fuck they please (in this case they're all edgy, horny, sarcastic assholes who don't set a tone other than no one cares what's going on). All this and the fact that S3 was poorly-paced, with mediocre and linear plot aside from the "oh my gosh what a shock gimmick" at the last 2 episodes is what makes me think this season is gonna be worse.

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: New Castlevania Season
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2021, 06:59:13 PM »
Yeah I don't understand why so many people are quick to call the Netflix series the best video game adaptation of all time when the show hasn’t done a much better job at adapting its source material than anything that has come before it. I suppose if your only criteria for a good adaptation is that it's watchable you could call it that.

Personally I'm kind of hoping that when Netflix say they plan on making a new series in the same universe it's just them being clever and it's not even related to Castlevania. If you take the infinite corridor into consideration a new series set in the same universe could technically be any number of things.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2021, 06:35:36 AM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 06:44:26 AM by Reinhart77 »

Offline DraculaCronqvist

• Demon King
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I shall give you the answer along with your death!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2021, 12:26:15 PM »
I'm sorry for being kinda a letdown, but absolutely NO amount of "easter eggs" or pretty looking animation I think will save Season 4. Game of Thrones Vampire Edition may be Castlevania in style, but I don't think it will ever be in substance. Netflixvania is supposed to be “based on/inspired by the game”. Now, unless a series is in the public domain, the copyright holder has the rights to disagree on a portrayal of the characters or the plot - which was why IGA fervently refused the animated film written by Ellis in the late 2000s the first place (since most of the characterizations used in the game was fleshed out by IGA and is why Season 1 is the most Castlevaniaish). Unfortunately, due to the fact that IGA left Konami, they agreed to whatever Shankar wanted for that sweet cash. In this case Vampire Game of Thrones. When you deal with an established fiction, you will have to at least adhere to the true characterization of the characters - this is the bare minimum. No movie based on a true story that uses the REAL identities of the original persons change their characters. They may exaggerate their reaction and the events they faced, but never the base characters. Otherwise, why do you even call it “based on”? There is nothing you base on except visuals - that are not even entirely accurate since they nitpick the characters that they decided to translate into Netflixvania based on whatever the fuck they please (in this case they're all edgy, horny, sarcastic assholes who don't set a tone other than no one cares what's going on). All this and the fact that S3 was poorly-paced, with mediocre and linear plot aside from the "oh my gosh what a shock gimmick" at the last 2 episodes is what makes me think this season is gonna be worse.

My opinion precisely. If you copy only the visuals, then why even bother calling it by the name it is supposedly based on? At that point, if you adhere to so very little what made the thing good and unique in the first place, a completely new thing of your own creation would serve the purpose better.
"It's not that I don't love to run into the heart of danger... Actually, that's exactly it."
"Individualism is a path fraught with obstacles, and sometimes angry mobs, but for all its hardships it is the only one worth taking."

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2021, 06:23:36 PM »

The Infinite Corridor was interesting but I don’t think they even know what it really is either lol. I recall reading a theory that 1 of the worlds featured was supposed to be an homage to Metal Gear? Another 1 shows what appears to be a Mayan kingdom, not really sure. Maybe they told the staff “let your imagination run wild” when animating that scene

Personally (please don’t viciously attack me for this, it’s just my personal opinion lol), I don’t feel this adaptation has been “harmful” to the series, because to be honest, the series has lost its way a long, long time ago, before season 1 even started production. I wasn’t a fan of the show in the beginning either but I gradually warmed up to it. I want to see how the narrative ends
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 06:40:24 PM by crisis »

Tags: