Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: best SoTN  (Read 6466 times)

Offline snusnumrik

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
best SoTN
« on: December 30, 2011, 01:42:14 AM »
hello im pretty new to castlevnia...
i played the AoS, DoS, OoE, PoR.
now im thinking about playing the game that created the castleroids:
 Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
but i don't know which version should i play:
the classic edition for Play station ?
the Saturn version?
the Sotn hack that is being relased?
what would you suggest

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 04:16:55 AM »
Well, the hack version isn't complete yet and it will be sometime before it gets a full release. Only demos for now.

The saturn version is almost the same with the psx, with the difference that it has 2 more areas, but they are not that much of a worth the difference and the game is a little slower than the psx and finally you can play with Maria, which you can't on the psx, but she is overpowered and makes the already easy game, super easy.

Now, the psx version, in my opinion i believe is the best one to play and it has also been remade on the psp as a bonus unlockable along with Castlevania Chronicles. In that version it has all the voice and dialogues been remade, plus the choice to play with Maria, but she is playing different than the saturn version, she is not overpowered, but the opposite, she is downgraded and very weak and she uses a complete different fighting style.

So, for me play the psx version and after you finish it, if you like out of curiosity, you can try the others versions!!!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:19:04 AM by Dark Nemesis »
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 05:28:52 AM »
the best sotn is the tiger handeld version

/in before crisis

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 05:29:54 AM »
The Sega Saturn version suffers from several issues (transparency effects, longer load times, "incomplete" design), however it has a few extras that the others don't (a couple Familiars, some new equipment, play as Richiter/Maria from the start).

The "SotN Hacked!" version will never be released/ready to the point where the players are 100% satisfied with the final product, almost comparable to how GL continues to mod his Star Wars movies for no reason"to make it better!" I'm sure it'll be 3D-glasses compatible & include several more additions with even more patches by the time it's "finished."

The PSP version is cool but has new voice acting, couple new items from the Saturn version, and new dialogue.

The 360 version has achievements & a Castlevania-themed border around the screen.

The original PS-X version is the best, hands down. play this one first, then you can try the others if you want.

@maguno, LoL!  ;)  :-*
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:41:26 AM by Crisis »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 06:02:13 AM »

The "SotN Hacked!" version will never be released/ready to the point where the players are 100% satisfied with the final product, almost comparable to how GL continues to mod his Star Wars movies for no reason"to make it better!" I'm sure it'll be 3D-glasses compatible & include several more additions with even more patches by the time it's "finished."

Oy now, what did Esco ever do to you to deserve that kind of potshot? :-X
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 06:17:29 AM »
Just stating the obvious. Is it untrue that he won't release his game until he's satisfied or damn-near "perfect" (which by the looks of it isn't anytime soon)? Not like I said "that project sucks blarghh" or bad mouthed his work ;)

Offline Keldor

• Hunter in Training
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
Re: best SoTN
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 07:05:39 AM »

SOTN for psx is by far the best. I've played all of them. I suggest buying it from psn and playing if from your psp system. I find that its much better to fire it up whenever and wherever you are.
Bnl4life

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 09:34:45 AM »
The psx version is the best choice.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 01:07:55 PM »
The PSX version; trust me. I have been hacking SOTN for 5 years, so I am the absolute expert AUTHORITY on this subject.

The Saturn version is just trash: no transparencies, ugly gfx, a lousy version of Maria, and the new enemies and areas are just shit.

The downloadable versions for PS3 and XBOX360 both have lousy views, and a bunch of programmatic bugs!

The PSP version is descent: the version of Maria included here is much nicer, and it is close to the PSX version. But comparing the PSP and PSX version side by side, you quickly see that the PSX one is an overall superior product, WITH THE EXCEPTION of the voice acting; PSP wins there.

As for my hack, what several people said is true: it will not be done anytime soon. But even if it was completely finished, I would recommend the PSX version first. It would help to better prepare you for the jump in difficulty in mine.  :)
Crisis said:

No game can be made in a way that makes people 100% satisfied with it. As for the rest of this post, it is pure rubbish and not worth addressing. :rollseyes: The only thing you got right was me releasing "patches" for it. But bugfixes are NEVER a bad thing if done right.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:52:45 PM by Esco »
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 02:21:52 PM »
The PS1 version is probably the best to first experience given it's closest to how people first experienced the game in the US, cheesy and memetic voice acting and all. I assume the downloadable versions for 360 and PS3 are basically the same though besides some resolution changes if you can't track down the actual PS1 version.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 10:44:17 PM »
PSX is my favorite at the moment, I have it on PSN and I just bought a 3D TV that converts 2D-3D and it is quite amazing ;D!!  The backgrounds really come alive in stereoscopic 3d.

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 03:25:29 AM »
PSX is my favorite at the moment, I have it on PSN and I just bought a 3D TV that converts 2D-3D and it is quite amazing ;D!!  The backgrounds really come alive in stereoscopic 3d.

That's not like you knightmere. I thought you were gonna say the Saturn version is the best version.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 08:39:32 AM »
It's definitely the PSX version.

I'd say the PSP version, since I'm a huge fan of the new voice acting, but there are a lot of programming errors, many of which are game-breaking. Also, the text isn't aligned with the new voices. It replaces the "I Am the Wind" credits theme with "Serenade of Sympathy".

The Saturn version? Yeah, it's bad. I still appreciate it for Konami at the very least attempting to make new things, but the two new areas are entirely recycled, save for the new enemies and music tracks. It has the Skeleton Leader boss, as well as a Maria boss fight. Also, the Godspeed Boots, which allow Alucard to sprint like Richter. Unfortunately, the game is as bad as people above me have stated. Some areas were split into two, or taken entirely out of the game, also. Alucard doesn't have a map button either (instead, the questionable third hand was introduced).

The Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 version is pretty cool, since it's pretty much the PSX version. The enhanced graphics are kind of ugly (they just blurred the sprites), but it can be switched to the original. The slowdown present in the other versions (like after defeating a boss) is not in any way present in these versions. Unfortunately, it also suffers from programming errors, and the three CGI scenes of the castle were removed completely. It replaces the "I Am the Wind" credits theme with "Admiration Towards the Clan" from Lament of Innocence.

Esco's hacked version... Well, he said it himself and it's pretty much common sense. It won't be done anytime soon. I can't exactly say whether or not it's better than the other versions yet, since it's only at the Prologue stage.

All in all, yeah, go for the PSX version first. Then move on to the others.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 08:42:39 AM by Claimh Solais »
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 11:51:18 AM »
That's not like you knightmere. I thought you were gonna say the Saturn version is the best version.

All in all, yeah, go for the PSX version first. Then move on to the others.

Saturn is still my favorite overall due to the sweet extras. Notice in my previous post I carefully said, "PSX is my favorite at the moment".

Tags: sotn