Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The housing office at my university is such an ass  (Read 3558 times)

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Waffles are pretty great
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
The housing office at my university is such an ass
« on: December 05, 2011, 12:42:55 PM »
I don't mean the people behind the counter, no, I mean the housing office itself. It's rules and regulations are so strict, and they'll cancel your housing space at a drop of a hat. They seem to refuse to work together with you. It's either you follow their regulations, or you live on the streets.

This semester, I was late for my payment by $8.02. The housing office sent me threatening E mails on how they'll cancel my housing, sent people to my door to deliver letters, and even put a hold on my account.

Now they treat me like a criminal and I have to pay everything up front, which is about 4,500, an insane price for four months.

This is my very first semester, and the only real way I can learn how their office works is through trial and error. Their spot on the University website doesn't tell you jack shit on how they run their office. Not only that, but money is due when they ask for it. They don't have set dates when they ask permission to take money from you, so how would it be my fault that I wasn't able to get the eight dollars and two cents in time?

All they tell you is their insane price, and that you must pay it when they ask for it.

Next semester, they're asking for everything, NOW. I have to pay the ENTIRE 4,512.94 right fucking now, or they'll kick me out. No option to do a payment plan like last semester, or anything, really.

Thing is, the scholarship the school gave me doesn't kick in until the 30th, and even then, it's only a 2,750 dollar scholarship.

I don't have the money to deal with this right now.

I wish outside housing was more available. At least then, they give you a decent price when they give you a tiny little room with just barely enough space to put your stuff in.

Now tell me guys, how should I deal with this crap? Tests, exams, studying, projects, homework assignments, essays due the very next class, stress inducing video games, they don't give me any stress what so ever.

The housing office, now, that's another story. (A story that I just told)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: The housing office at my university is such an ass
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 12:48:39 PM »
You need to schedule an appt to your school prez or the dean of acadmic affairs (I am assuming that your financial aid office is not helping you out) and let them know your issue. If that doesn't solve anything be prepared to go to your local news station and let them know your plight and see if anyone is interested to run a story on the local tube about you. Once the school get's aware of the bad press then someone should be knocking down your door to help you out.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 03:14:47 PM »
I know that feel, my friend...college housing shizz can be so irritating sometimes. x_x

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 08:55:17 PM »
Bring the law in on this one. Present all the facts you have, all the evidence to incriminate them and nail their balls to the f**king wall! And if that doesn't work bring in the Mafia  ;D
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 09:15:48 PM »
Are schools exempted from housing laws completely? Last I checked, landlords (which is what the school housing authority is) have to give some form of window for payment. Notices have to be given in advance. Even if they wanted to kick you out, they would have to take it up through the court and even then you would still have 30 days before the cops could do anything (which means free rent!). I seriously doubt universities are exempted from housing law. I would threaten to sue them, or simply contact a lawyer. I can almost guarantee you a housing law attorney would be more than happy to take on a university. Even if he (or she) doesn't win, the prestige for the firm would be great.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 02:33:08 AM »
Not to mention that for 4500$ you could rent a 2 bedroom apartment pretty much anywhere.
"Stuff and things."

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 11:11:46 PM »
Not to mention that for 4500$ you could rent a 2 bedroom apartment pretty much anywhere.

Dude, I know, right?

Only if there was rooms available, but everyone and their mom wants to live and or take classes in Hawaii. Housing is such a pain in the ass to find here, let alone afford.

And also, when you sign the form for school housing, you're signing a contract that legally allows to school to kick you onto the streets whenever you don't follow the smallest rule they got, no matter if you know the rules or not.

It's no skin off their backs, they have a whole list of people wanting housing.

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 06:10:26 PM »
Demand a copy of the housing agreement form and have an attorney look over it any way. You never know. Their lawyers might have overlooked a loophole.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 08:01:35 PM »
Dude, I know, right?

Only if there was rooms available, but everyone and their mom wants to live and or take classes in Hawaii. Housing is such a pain in the ass to find here, let alone afford.

And also, when you sign the form for school housing, you're signing a contract that legally allows to school to kick you onto the streets whenever you don't follow the smallest rule they got, no matter if you know the rules or not.

It's no skin off their backs, they have a whole list of people wanting housing.

Just because you signed a contract like that doesn't mean squat. If the contract is unbalanced and favors more a specific party (this def sounds like the case) then it won't hold in civil court. Signed or not. It seems to me that you are listening more what the school is telling you then your own gut. Bring the pain to the school or you are going to end up on the street for no reason at all!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline CastleToastM

• Toast Fan
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 12:15:25 AM »
Just because you signed a contract like that doesn't mean squat. If the contract is unbalanced and favors more a specific party (this def sounds like the case) then it won't hold in civil court. Signed or not. It seems to me that you are listening more what the school is telling you then your own gut. Bring the pain to the school or you are going to end up on the street for no reason at all!

Actually, it's more like I'm listening more to what my parents want me to do than my own gut.

They just want to pay for it and be done with it.

But really, just because we have the emergency funds to deal with these first two semesters, who knows what will happen down the line when we have to pay for future semesters.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 09:59:47 AM »
It's better to pull out all the rusty nails in you life now so you can avoid any more future tetanus shots.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 06:53:46 PM »
Contact these guys and civilly explain your situation (including your financial situation). Maybe they will help you.

http://www.vanpernisandvancil.com/Contact.shtml
http://www.stevewhittaker.justia.net/contactus-1465023.html
http://www.island-law.com/Contact.shtml
http://www.paclawteam.com/en/location

These are less likely, but consulting a business attorney might be in your interest.

http://bushnellmiller.com/Contact%20Us/Email%20Form.aspx

TIP: Copy-paste your emails, but make sure the email is as generic as possible (don't send an email talking about Steve Whittaker to Island Law, for example). If they want to charge you for a consultation or say they will only discuss the issue in person (especially at their office), decline for the time being since they obviously aren't willing to offer free consultation.

Tags:

anything