Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Lords of shadow 2 is on it's way  (Read 82349 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2012, 02:49:16 PM »
+1
+1 to munchy for a pretty fair review IMO.

I can see where some people come from when they are disappointed by LoS, since the trailers really used a bit of trickery to make it seem like there would be a Dracula fight. (though TBH, it WAS a wasted opportunity to NOT use Jason Isaacs as Dracula- I mean, come on, how awesome would that have been?)

The music I agree, is pretty subjective. Either you like it or you dont. I liked it, but what bothers me most is that they are mood pieces, and not unique ones either. what I mean is, they are reused for their respective spots in the game to represent a certain tone. Would have been better if there was just MORE music in general, even if they were also mood pieces. Just more.

As far as Titans go, I cant deny- as boring as they were, they at least looked pretty epic, and thats really all they were there for, to show these massively large scale boss fights. The Second Titan especially is an epic boss fight, what with the perspective and lighting, and really just the scale of the Titan, and how it had those objects floating all around it.

The Dracolitch now, on the other hand, was pretty interesting as far as titan fights go. It's probably my favorite, and a lot of that probably has to do with the fact that it just plays very much differently from the previous two- it's not just all shimmying and ledge jumping, but you do walk along it's bones and such, and it will later on go vertically and shit, it was pretty interesting, and come on- it's a giant fucking zombie dragon. What's not to like?

It WAS a pity that the Necromancer wasnt Death's design, but the way i see it, both the Necromancer AND the Dracolitch were both supposed to be homages to the classic Death and his secondary transformations.

we also never saw what Zobek looks like UNDER the Devil Mask, since it isnt actually part of his outfit, but granted to him presumably by Satan. He might have a skull face under there for all we know. (if the God Mask holds the power of God, then it only stands to reason that the Devil Mask contains power and knowledge from hell)

Testament of Sin
sounds like a Castlevania name alright.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2012, 03:51:53 PM »
+2
castlevania: shrine of the apostates

castlevania: the last stand (third game)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2012, 04:43:38 PM »
+1
Castlevania: shrine of the apostates
This one is actually perfect

Everything comes full circle

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2012, 04:58:52 PM »
+1
Knowing you sappy I am with subtitles, I would name the sequel "Castlevania: Dragon Rises" or something.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2012, 05:10:13 PM »
Dragon Rising maybe?

or Rise of the Dragon? (RotD)

Yeah, depending on how the story goes for the sequel, having Dragon in the title would be cool.

I mean its only one game so far, but MS Castlevania seems to be straight to the point with it's sub titles, whereas previous sub titles were a bit more fanciful. Pretty much since Rondo introduced the musical sub title trend to the series.

EDIT: Oh Oh, I know I know!:

Castlevania:
'Dracula's In It This Time, We Promise'
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 05:11:53 PM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2012, 05:26:51 PM »
Castlevania:
'Dracula's In It This Time, We Promise'

I second this one.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2012, 05:29:01 PM »
+1
"Now with exclusive Medusa Heads not seen in Lords of Shadow"

I don't feel like double posting but I hope this song makes it into the sequel in some way.

Room of Close Associates: Super Castlevania 4 Music

Imagine if we finally get to fight Slogra this time too, man the teasers/trailers for LoS were gigantic trolls.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 05:33:15 PM by OSM »

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2012, 07:38:04 PM »
Hey Munchy....

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2012, 09:44:18 PM »
+1
I mean its only one game so far, but MS Castlevania seems to be straight to the point with it's sub titles, whereas previous sub titles were a bit more fanciful. Pretty much since Rondo introduced the musical sub title trend to the series.
LOL, "Castlevania: Requiem of the Dragon".

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2012, 10:07:58 PM »
+1
If Konami is so obsessed with musical titles now why not this?

Castlevania: Dragula.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline xscientist5000

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2012, 10:13:52 PM »
+1
What I want:
A big ship this time, like in LOD or Rondo of Blood.
Mermen jumping on that ship.
RPG style equip-able items for defense.
Worn items can actually be seen on the character.
Survival horror elements.
Weird events/discoveries that aren't explained/keep you guessing.
Stiffer jumping controls.
A short sword secondary weapon.
More variety of subweapons, and make them upgradable.
Item Crashes.
A character that dies when he gets stabbed through the torso.
Some future boss appearing mid game just to taunt you.
Full 3D, like CV64 or Super Mario 64.
Merge levels together again similar to COD.
Breakable walls, edible meat.
Status changes and cure items.
(As you can tell I like CV64)

What I don't want:
QTEs.
Button mashing.
Weak and light whip that hardly phases enemies.
Exploration and camera angles on rails.
Pure cinema mood music.
Fairies as subweapons.
Enemies that give monologues at the end.

I would like it to be about how the vampire killer whip is formed again. Maybe from the chain of the combat cross, given to the protagonist by the church, and we find out more about it as the game progresses. I wouldn't want it to be upgradeable damage wise, but maybe use the powerup system again.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2012, 10:23:25 PM »
+1
castlevania: this time for real (PS3/X360)
release date Fall 2013

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2012, 10:23:59 PM »
I like your list vkiller86. That seems to me the best way to make a 3D CV game. however all pieces of the combat cross were left in the domain of the Forgotten One so there's no way the church or anyone else for that matter, can ever get their hands on it. And personally to me, the combat cross is weak as hell when you compare it to the Vampire Killer.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2012, 11:27:51 PM »
+1
VKiller86 has got a lot I can agree with there; it's similar to stuff I've been saying. I won't even get into aesthetic choices. I'm just going to comment on the bread-and-butter fundamentals: The biggest starting point, which generally seems to be a "bad thing to say" in the industry and fandom is this:

Full 3D, like CV64 or Super Mario 64.

Yes, please. The on-rails, always fixed camera style just limits Castlevania's potential for level design and player immersion, IMO, and also makes for a less distinctive game in the marketplace.

Stiffer jumping controls.

This is also a fundamental necessity. You need tight jumping controls (basically like CV64 or Mario 64) to engender consequential platforming. Castlevania is action-platforming at its roots, and you can't have platforming with awkward, jerky, or floaty jumps. LoS' current jumping animation/feedback feels ungainly.

What I don't want:
Weak and light whip that hardly phases enemies.

The button-mashing to whip an enemy a gazillion times needs to stop. Worse, this combo-mongering affects the idea of action-platforming, as it not only slows the pace, but the LoS whip animation drives the character forward. No way that will work for tight platforming while countering incoming enemies and obstacles (IE: Medusa heads, etc). You'd fall to your doom before you could even get started. And another benefit of losing the combo-mongering would be better usage of sub-weapons.

Like vKiller86, I'm a fan of the N64 titles. I'm not saying they're "perfect," but they laid considerably better groundwork than any 3D Castlevania since (in both what they accomplished and what was left out in the planning stages due to time constraints). My final note on this: As rough around the edges as it is, Level 2 of CV64 highlights all the necessarily design elements of level design and gameplay controls in executing a dynamic full-3D action-platforming experience. And then, Level 3 highlights what true Full 3D exploration feels like, which is the opposite of the "on-rails" concern vKiller86 notes.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2012, 12:19:34 AM »
+1
+1 to munchy for a pretty fair review IMO.
It WAS a pity that the Necromancer wasnt Death's design, but the way i see it, both the Necromancer AND the Dracolitch were both supposed to be homages to the classic Death and his secondary transformations.

Oops, I actually didn't realize that it sort of turned into a review. Thanks though!

I thought that the Necromancer would be Death, but the way I see it actually he's more or less like the Necromancer bosses in SNES Dracula X/CotM, and also sort of similar to Ghost Shaft in RoB. He's got a similar robe, he summons up zombies, and... uh... I forget what else he does. It's kind of a shame he didn't have a more prominent place in the game, because his voice actor was fucking AWESOME.

Hey Munchy....

Thanks! I've rarely gotten so much praise for stuff assembled under the influence at 2 AM.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:18:10 AM by Munchy »

anything