Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: MS: "People is not dumb and won't stick just to the little number"  (Read 32817 times)

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Re: MS: "People is not dumb and won't stick just to the little number"
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2013, 04:55:35 PM »
I can't believe you seriously compared Halo to Castlevania, hope it was a slip. And for the love of god, I hopeone of  your circles is not Vgchartz. It's banned from neogaf for a reason.

Not a slip at all. A bunch of people bought Halo. A bunch of people liked Halo. That much is obvious. While I wouldn't expect Lords of Shadow to rake in numbers like that, it doesn't seem to have made much of a splash at all. Given the recent information, it doesn't seem like a it sold a whole lot with consumers.

The big discrepancy in "sales" between LoS and MoF is likely due to retailers not wanting to buy too many copies of MoF if LoS performed so badly in their stores. If this is the case, I wouldn't expect LoS2 to do too well, either. 

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2013, 06:18:20 PM »
I think that LoS sold better because it was riding on a serious hype train. I'm pretty sure MANY CV fans bought it. Not every one of them liked it though. there's a reason it was divisive.

But it was covered by more mainstream gaming websites and the like, hyped up to be the big blockbuster return to Home Consoles for Castlevania.

Once that was all said and done, MoF therefore had a much tougher time.

First of all, it is for a relatively new console. LoS came out pretty well into the run of the Xbox 360/PS3 era. both were pretty well established by then, having been around for 5/4 years, respectively. The 3DS has been out for 2, so far, and had a pretty weak launch. the 360, along with the PS3, are generally considered to be the "hardcore" consoles among mainstream gaming culture, while the Wii is the "family" console, and the handheld Nintendo consoles are considered the "kid" consoles. A NEW kid, console, no less. Then the fact that people who felt burned by the first LoS were obviously going to pass on this. Some people who maybe did not like it going 2D, didn't think it was worth their time. then the fact that once it came out, it was far below LoS' quality in terms of pretty much everything short of atmosphere and story.

LoS2, however, is basically a direct sequel to the first game, And also so far seems to have a fair amount of hype, what with that neat video of Dracula vs the armies of the brotherhood, and all that jazz. I feel that loS2 will do well. maybe not LoS well, but definitely better than MoF. MoF just had way too much working against it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 06:24:31 PM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »
^^^
Flame, everything you said was on my mind regarding MoF and LOS2's reception. MoF really didn't stand a chance, it was the follow up of three critically acclaimed DS titles and it didn't live up to it's predecessor's and it was a pseudo sequel to one of the most (if not THE most) divisive game in the series. And like you said, it was the hype generated at E3 09 when it was revealed that Kojima Productions was co producing the game (which in reality he didn't do very much), giving some people a sign of hope that a quality 3D Castlevania game was finally coming, so the gaming media ate it up. And while the game was a mixed bag with fans and fairly received by the media, the hype worked, well by 3D Castlevania standards at least.

Now the hype around LOS2 is no longer about  who's supervising but it's now about it's premise.  The idea of playing as Dracula wreaking havoc on the world is more than enough hype for now until a proper gameplay trailer is shown.

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2013, 01:16:51 PM »
MercurySteam, while talented in their own right, obviously just doesn't "get it." I'm so glad they're done with Castlevania after LoS2. It's time they create their own original IPs and stop re-imagining pre-existing canon/legacies.

They already have their own IP, "Lord of Shadow" Konami decided to put forward Castlevania and change some names and get some boss ...

You have to read the history of this series and the company ...
"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2013, 01:22:47 PM »
+1
Except that's wrong
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2013, 09:18:18 PM »
Except that's wrong
That's what's they tell you... :P

Tags: