Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: La Mulana  (Read 3424 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« on: April 17, 2013, 02:02:42 AM »
I've been playing this game for the last weeks.
First, I retook where I left some months ago. Back then, I was amazed by the looks and music of the game. I thought I would progress easily (I had about 3 hours of game and I believed I was far). Then I couldn't make any progress, and I searched and searched and searched, and... well... finally, I decided to print a whole walkthrough to have by my side while playing.
I think it's impossible to beat this game without a guide. Some things are impossible to guess (at least to me). I find myself always wondering "How the hell am I supposed to guess this?". Anyway, great, great game! Beautiful sprites, good 2D gameplay (a little awkward, but you get used to it), great soundtrack (especially the tracks from Surface, Gate of Guidance and Spring in the Sky, which are the first 3 levels, and where I was when I left months ago).
I really recommend this game to anyone who likes retro gaming. But my main question was about personal experiences with this game.
Did anyone actually beat it without a guide? I mean... at least one person should have beat it without a guide, because someone created the first guide... am I right? :)
Anyway, feel free to share any experiences from this beautiful and extremely cryptic game.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 08:54:16 AM »
I plan to play it and beat without a guide, thanks for reminding me about that. Im waiting for it since they announced it for Wii but never launched it in US. I will search for it now.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 09:47:55 AM »
I totally agree! Awesome game! Hard as hell. It puts CV2 to shame in comparison.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 01:16:26 AM »
Totally! Things are so cryptic!

LG: Let me know if you can beat it without a guide. It took me more than 20 hours with a guide, so I guess at least 50/80 hours would be needed without one (it seems a lot, but you can wander through the levels for hours and hours trying everything).
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 06:39:16 AM »
It's out on Steam now. Have been trying to play it blind so as not to spoil what happens, but it's kicking my ass. Have still only got the scanner, glyph reader, the shuriken and the whip, and still haven't worked my way around Gate Of Guidance. This could have to be a Nintendo Power - um, wiki moment.
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 12:43:29 PM »
I'd venture to say it's intended to be impossible to beat without a guide, but perhaps that's just me. I could have never do it alone.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 03:57:17 PM »
A curious note:

In this article, 3DJuegos website mentions that this game is "MetroidVania".

http://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/analisis/14220/0/lamulana/

Offline Rudolph LagnaGaisaer

• Dragon Slayer.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 05:52:18 PM »
lol. you have beaten this game too ? i have spent 3 month´s to beat this game. and when i finished it. i felt like a
NerdMaster

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 06:09:24 PM »
It's IS possible to finish without a guide. You just need to know that tips for some areas can be found in tablets in other areas. Also, you need to keep them written somewhere (the game offers this possibility, but it's pretty limited). Also, the name of the room is also tip to some puzzles.

With these in mind and patience... you can do everything withou a guide. :)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 06:42:03 PM »
Wow, this game is huge, almost 700mb! I will download it after when I free some space or use the notebook, since this PC have a very tiny free space. (This HD sucks, but hey, atleast it works. I need to give a new one to my mom when I get money)
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 06:57:45 PM »
I DID beat this game, but using a guide.
I think I could have never do it without it.
But that doesn't mean other people can't.

Tags:

anything