Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What ever happened to *that* Dungeonite?  (Read 105963 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: What ever happened to *that* Dungeonite?
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2012, 07:42:03 AM »
+1
I find the 'prunyu' charming and endearing.  It's not cool when others mimic it though.  Then it becomes... not nearly as charming.

This is why power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Hugo Chavez (current asshole president of Venezuela) took over the tv and radio stations so that no one would say things he would find annoying or he did not like(which usually meant any point of view that would oppose his).  This is not proper behavior and one mod/admin, it can be a dangerous thing.

I think it's safe to talk about what happened here.  It's been a few years.
-------

Serio... was a great contributor to the community, and arguably still is.  However, he was a very opinionated fellow.  Because he and I had a friendship that extended beyond the CVForum (we talked on AIM and I would help with portraits for his game, and he and I would talk Castlevania and sprites and music and whatnot), whenever he would cause trouble at the forum, I would plead with him to stop behaving this way.

There are a few other forum members whom I've done this with... usually people I've established some kind of rapport with.  Instead of ruthlessly warning them three times, then banning them, I would talk to them.  I would explain that this behavior does not help the serenity of the community, and would advise them to be more diplomatic in their words.  I would explain that the harshness of their words can be seen as hurtful and that they should exercise tact whenever possible, in order to nurture the community into a happier place.  Most of the time, they would listen.  Sometimes, though...

The mods (Heretic, Ralph, Bloodreign... and I think Clara and Ed were still prominent?) and I at the time worked very hard to ensure that this place was not some Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy.   After a while, we started taking harsher measures and ceased to tolerate people who would step past what the rules allowed and got away with it just because they were closer friends, whether by IRC or AIM.

It's been quite a while, but from what I recall, It seems Serio took these harsh moderation steps personally.  This happened around the time he got his moderator (admin?) powers taken away from him at CVC.  There were some things said on IRC as well that made it seem as if Serio thought he deserved better treatment than others, possibly due to his contributions to the community.  I argued and implored with the person that his behavior was not exemplary and that if he thought he would get special treatment, that those days were over.

Instead of complying, Serio became harsher with criticisms.  His words began to cut deeper and cause strife in the community, in pretty much all the sub-forums.  After some talking, the moderation and I decided that it was best to ban him for some time.  Not banning him would be seen by the community as people getting around the rules.  People started talking about how the system was corrupt and how some people can get away with saying whatever they want and being trolls (he became quite the instigator, in my opinion) but would not get punished because they either knew the mods or were contributors, etc.  So he had to go.  He was given a temporary ban...

...which he then extended ten-fold by doing Ban Evasion.

When you're banned, if you really intend to return to the forum somehow, you can pretty much only do so by contacting mods/admins by E-mail or AIM.  If you make a new forum account, and start posting in it, it is considered Ban Evasion, which multiplies your ban period (it's usually by 10 so 2 weeks becomes 20 week... but if you're a troublemaker, it becomes FOREVER.  This is not set in stone as some people have, in the past, come back with the sole intent of causing trouble again and not sorry or want to change their behavior... some people just want to watch the world burn).

Some people are doing ban evasion even now.  We know who they are... but they're not causing nearly as much trouble as they used to so we tolerate them posting.

Serio stopped talking to me on AIM when I started noticing he was having other people talk to me on his behalf, and never once talked about changing his behavior with the chance of returning.  I told these people "If he wants to talk to me or wants me to do something, tell him to stop being a baby and talk to me himself".  That was the last I heard from him. Some people here can confirm my words.
---------

This is my side of the story.  It has been blurred by time but it is the best I can recall.
Serio's ban expired a while back.  However, he did not return.

However, some good things came from this:  The Rules are now properly displayed on the "Castlevania General Discussion" board.  The news ticker on top points to them as well.  No one can say "where are these rules?  People don't know that they cannot do that.  You're making up rules on-the-fly."  It's all posted for all to see.  Sometimes amendments and addendums are placed as well, but that hardly ever happens.  People are free to report outbursts by members by using the "Report to Moderator" feature or by sending us a Private Message (it's one of the more efficient ways to mod, as I we're only human and we may miss a flamebait post here and there).  People who are warned have a "Watched" symbol on their profile, so that everyone knows that the things they say can be inflammatory and that they've been warned about it.  Etc.

EDIT:
Serio and I had a talk today and things seem ok.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:22:39 AM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2012, 07:51:51 AM »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2012, 07:52:55 AM »
^
That is just not true.
Check out his spiffy "Peacekeeper" award.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2012, 08:25:59 AM »
+2
That was a lot of backstory and a nice look into the inner machinations of the forum, so thank you for sharing!

It's crazy to think about how time has changed people (or made lesser prominent qualities become their defining feature) and how much a community evolves as well. From the GameSpy forum days to now, I'm glad we still have the dungeon and happy to see so many familiar faces (and new ones too!).  ;D

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2012, 08:29:06 AM »
I thought we weren't doing "Watched" icons on account of them being badges of honor for those who would get them.

(And where's mine dammit?!)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2012, 09:00:53 AM »
Oh you're right, UZO, we're not doing them.  I often forget that my admin status lets me see these 'watched' statuses but no one else can see them.  My mistake.

And yes, you've got yours.  So quit being an ass or you'll get what's coming to you. :P

EDIT:
Serio and I had a talk today and things seem ok.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:22:13 AM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2012, 02:16:11 PM »
I remember a couple of years ago there was a member who joined the forum just for bitching about how the forum template sucks because it's black and how using a black template is unprofessional and not user-friendly, and another one who joined just to ask people of "their position on space aliens". lol.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2012, 02:50:28 PM »
+1
I miss DoctaMario. I think he came back a few months ago, but only made like two posts. D:

The good docta and I used to be bros...

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2012, 03:13:08 PM »
And yes, you've got yours.

Sweet. What does it look like?

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2012, 04:05:30 PM »
Did SemiAnonymous ever come here(hell he could be here now with a different username)? I knew he was on the chapel and gamefaq. Personally I thought he was funny.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2012, 05:08:32 PM »
Sweet. What does it look like?

If I had to conjecture, it might be that peeping eye or whatever it is, to illustrate Big Brother watching you.
And when I say "Big Brother" I don't mean it in an insulting, fascist manner. The community here (and the mods too) is warm and friendly. Sure, there are some exceptions but for the most part the peace here is kept. And considering how accessible people like Jorge are, it makes a huge difference. I've been part of forums where you were fucking lucky if you EVER saw a mod or admin post.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2012, 07:16:14 PM »
In reference to Serio, I never had anything against him, and I never thought he had anything against me. I always thought the wordfiltering thing was a joke, since every time he wordfiltered one of my gunlordisms, I'd find a new one (Prunyuu~ became Punyuu~ and then Unyoo~ and Myunmuu~ every time he set up a new filter, for instance), so I always thought it was just a friendly rivalry. XD

I'd like to see him again, sure, but if he doesn't wanna hang around much anymore, that's cool too. People come and go. That's life.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2012, 07:54:38 PM »
I was just guessing that he did it because its annoying, but I really don't know.

I won't lie, though. I find it annoying / lame.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2012, 08:31:47 PM »
It might have annoyed him, but I always got the impression he had fun thinking up new wordfilters. In any case though it's okay Uzo...I still love you *hugz*

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2012, 05:06:00 AM »
Did SemiAnonymous ever come here(hell he could be here now with a different username)? I knew he was on the chapel and gamefaq. Personally I thought he was funny.

Semi-kun has never come here as far to my knowledge. He still pops up on Skype from time to time, though. The question is whether Puwexil and myself can get Gunlord to come on Skypuu as well.

Tags: