Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Lords of Shadow Sequel Ideas (spoilers...a lot of them)  (Read 73025 times)

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Lords of Shadow Sequel Ideas (spoilers...a lot of them)
« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2010, 09:21:43 AM »
Portrait gets way too much hate. I admit I found it rather boring compared to the previous Metroidvanias, but that's mainly because I was tired of the formula. The actual game, objectively speaking, is a solid DS platformer with great gameplay, fantastic soundtrack and lots of exploration and things to do. The level design was lacking and repetitive in places, but that's only because the game was a little too big for its own good. The final portraits had me yawning like crazy... ´

Still, it's somewhat unfairly bashed cause it's not really THAT different from DoS or OoE. Or any of the other Metroidvanias for that matter. The level design in OoE was at times even worse than in PoR, just compare the PoR clocktower with OoE's... I think people like OoE better because it had better artwork, better characters and was a little bit more challenging. I mean, I do to.

But whenever I've shown the DS games to anyone outside of the Castlevania fanbase they all cry: "These games look and play exactly the same, I can hardly tell which one is which". It is us, the hardcore fans, that are super picky. I am too, but I try to take a step back sometimes and look at the games objectively. And damn, the Metroidvanias are quite spectacular compared what else there is in the 2D action genre of today, even PoR.

What topic am I in again? Oh... the LoS sequel topic... lol. I'll try and stay on topic from now on.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 09:24:07 AM by shelverton. »

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #151 on: October 19, 2010, 09:37:11 AM »
^ This, the music, and that piece of shit (sorry, i just beated the game) that goes after the credits, are the only things keeping me from 100% loving this game.
I can't say I like the idea of "heavenly counterparts" at all. I get real Kingdom Heart vibes from that kind of thing, and that's not a good thing.

Offline Valtiel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: October 19, 2010, 09:47:30 AM »
I am too, but I try to take a step back sometimes and look at the games objectively. And damn, the Metroidvanias are quite spectacular compared what else there is in the 2D action genre of today, even PoR.

And the problem for me is that... I can't really endorse that statement.

If we look at things objectively, by now - as impossible as it may sound - Castlevania is more ahead of the curve as a 3D game. Lords of Shadow, at least tecnically and in terms of content and system quality, is a top tier game. It's one of the best looking 3D games ever.

Now, how have 2D games evolved?

Take a look at Odin's Sphere (PS2):

Odin Sphere - LL's Max 999 Combo Chain

Odin Sphere - End Book Boss Ch01 ( Frog vs Dog )

Odin Sphere: Armageddon [Bad End/Unique Scene] Fire's Shadow

Or Muramasa on the Wii:

Oboro Muramasa - Kisuke gameplay (Musou mode)

Or Shank - Gameplay Trailer PAX 2009 [HQ]

Or even:

Legend Of Mana: Irwin Battle

Geez, Legend of Mana is PS1 game.

2D tecnology really made huge improvements, as big as 3D graphics one could argue. I find it honestly unforgivable that IGA didn't manage to keep Castlevania ahead of the curve. It's possibly the most important 2D saga still going, aside from Mario. Imagine what 2D Castlevania games would look like today if he didn't stick to recycling the same old stuff and artists all over again.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: October 19, 2010, 10:53:12 AM »
I would say that the Metroidvanias are on the same technical level of Legend of Mana. It's kinda hard for me to imagine how Castlevana would look without sprite reuse, because I was never really fond of the paper cut out rotation techniques used in Oboro or Odin Sphere or Shank. I mean, in the first two, they fit the style, but I can't see them working in Castlevania with its emphasis on realism, well, stylistically. Also, for some reason, I honestly prefer SoTN. It might just be all the intriacries and composition. It just strikes me as bolder and richer, despite technological inferiority. Well, when it comes to 2D, it's always better to have something hand-pixeled than use a technological gimmick like rotating, shifting, or morphing. It's much more natural.

i-im not arguing against new graphics. im just saying if they finally do get into gear, i hope they dont rely on what the newer 2D games do, but does its own thing with hand crafted precision.

With PoR, I just found it to be an exercise in grinding and excess. The gameplay with its hp tank bosses, leveling up subweapons, fetch quests, and etc. It's pretty much the game that sums up what drags down the Metroidvanias for me. That's why I don't like DoS or PoR. I mean, OoE shares those problems too with the bosses and quests, but then it strips down the inventory and revamps the combat to make it the fastest it's ever been and I am swooned. Probably one of the few Metroidvanias that actually invested in the potential of its gimmick. Too bad its level design was pretty horrid at times and despite all the new assets, it still manages to have the worst cohesiveness in graphics use. shanoa-baby ; - ;
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:56:25 AM by thernz »

Offline Richter

• Vampire Killer
  • Hunter in Training
  • Die, monster!
    • Project R Design
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: October 23, 2010, 09:45:42 AM »
I dont know where they should take it next.... but no modern day/future scenery or levels. Even if its set in that time period like some CV games, it needs to be gothic and fantasy styled. Whatever people might argue is "real Castlevania" a game set in an industrial steel and glass sci-fi type world has no place.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #155 on: October 23, 2010, 10:06:45 AM »
I hope the sequel doesn't have any modern era things in it, I hope it takes place in another medieval gothic like time period.

If they do several games, it would be cool to have them slowly build up to that era because I think it could work.
Close to where I live is an old steel plant (Bethlehem Steel, for anyone from the east PA area). Its a massive area and I think if done right a castle could look really cool in an industrial gothic style.

But I'm all for a current era game, just not for the first sequel
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: October 23, 2010, 10:12:02 AM »
Quote from: profbeanburrito
I hope the sequel doesn't have any modern era things in it, I hope it takes place in another medieval gothic like time period.

you didn't like the Positron Rifle??!

I'm all for a CV game set in your hometown :D

Offline Richter

• Vampire Killer
  • Hunter in Training
  • Die, monster!
    • Project R Design
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: October 23, 2010, 10:36:28 AM »
Well goofy lasers are fine as a secret weapon, but level design has to be to a certain standard.

Offline Thunderbrand

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: October 26, 2010, 06:49:22 PM »
For the LoS sequel, there are quite a few things I'd like to see, but here are just a few:

1. Please do NOT take place in modern times. Yeah, yeah, I know there's the ending cinematic in LoS that shows that the story continues in present-day, but hopefully that's just part of it. Maybe the sequel will take place via flashbacks and will start and end in modern times, or there will be time-travel involved or something, but the game itself better not be set in present-day.

2. Have THE castle in it. Carmilla's castle in LoS was MASSIVE and very neat to see, but having it's 4 huge buildings all connected with huge chains was straight out of the Van Helsing movie. It just didn't seem right. I'd love to see a huge recreation of THE classic castle we all know and love.

3. Bring back the elemental whips. This was one of my favorite parts of LoI. It's cool to see them in 3D and I bet Mercury Steam could really do some cool stuff with the Flame/Ice/Lightning effects.

4. Redo some of the classic songs on the score. LoS had some hints of remixed old CV tunes, but I'd love to hear some fully orchestrated arrangements of "Bloody Tears", "Vampire Killer", "Dance of Pales", "Within these Castle Walls", etc.

5. Bring back Medusa as a boss. This was another part of LoI that I loved. I thought they really did a good job with her design in that game and I'm sure MS could do even better!
*I'm not a newbie...I had several hundred posts with this screenname on the old board*

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: October 26, 2010, 09:37:23 PM »
Quote from: Thunderbird
1. Please do NOT take place in modern times.

Why not? I think a modern Castlevania set in Pennsylvania would be splendid XDDD

3. Bring back the elemental whips. This was one of my favorite parts of LoI. It's cool to see them in 3D and I bet Mercury Steam could really do some cool stuff with the Flame/Ice/Lightning effects.

Yes, that would've been very cool had they did this for LoS.

5. Bring back Medusa as a boss. This was another part of LoI that I loved. I thought they really did a good job with her design in that game and I'm sure MS could do even better!

Word up. People complain about robots in other games yet we fight a MECHANICAL MONSTROSITY in 1047. So why couldn't Medusa be there also? Or Frankenstein's Monster?

I still think they should've added LEGION as a hidden boss. T'would be awesome DLC that I wouldn't mind paying for (complete with exclusive lvl)

Offline capo

• I wish I was back to a human ;_;
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2010, 10:14:28 PM »
For the next game, I think they should cut down a bit on the climbing/wall scaling. Nothing wrong with it, but if you have to do it on almost every stage it gets tedious.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #161 on: October 27, 2010, 12:05:54 AM »
You know that HD 2D game is not coming, EVER, even IGA dismissed that possibility in his last interview (Destructoid, E3 2010: "Don't hold your breath for it"). YOu know he's lazy, a lot, that AND (not OR) Konami won't let him having a big budget, not after Judgment and Despair.
If that game comes someday, I'm pretty sure it will be yet another external-developed Castlevania.

It would be awesome.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: October 27, 2010, 01:27:25 AM »
Could, not would.

Offline Alutwon

• Grand Cross
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: October 27, 2010, 06:12:58 AM »
You know that HD 2D game is not coming, EVER, even IGA dismissed that possibility in his last interview (Destructoid, E3 2010: "Don't hold your breath for it"). YOu know he's lazy, a lot, that AND (not OR) Konami won't let him having a big budget, not after Judgment and Despair.
If that game comes someday, I'm pretty sure it will be yet another external-developed Castlevania.

It would be awesome.

Or they could use good 'ol KCET

Offline Ascension

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #164 on: October 27, 2010, 08:44:19 AM »
Why not? I think a modern Castlevania set in Pennsylvania would be splendid XDDD

Have the castle bust up out of the ground in an Amish community.  Pitchfork is your weapon. ;)

Tags:

anything