Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Was there ever a legacy for Serio's game?  (Read 3873 times)

Offline AbsoluteBoom

• Learning little by little
    • Awards
Was there ever a legacy for Serio's game?
« on: March 14, 2022, 06:19:01 AM »
Hello everyone, some of you might be familiar with a past game called "Serio's Castlevania Fighter". It was a Castlevania fangame made in M.U.G.E.N where you could fight agaisnt bosses, two player co-op, or even PvP.

However a few years ago, Serio himself announced that the project would be put to an end due to how little it was moving forward, since then both the game page and the game forums were deleted.

The main thing that I remember is that Serio said that he would release the source code of the game, to allow a third party to work on it, but no matter how much I search on Google, it seems that either Serio never released the source code, or that nobody has wanted to take the torch of the project.

Castlevania Fighter was my favourite Castlevania Fangame, I really loved how fast paced it was, and even though there were some elements that I disagreed upon (Like making Johnatan a joke), I really wanted the game to prosper and live on.

I was wondering if you guys know of someone who has taken the torch of the project, if I knew how to I would revive the project, port it to a brand new engine, allow online play, 4 player vs and co-op, brand new characters and bosses, original movesets to make the whip users more unique, Etc. Sadly I don't know how to code, my spriting skills are really poor and I don't even know where to begin to make such project.

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I Have No Idea Where I'm Going
    • Castlevania: The Inverted Dungeon
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Was there ever a legacy for Serio's game?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 02:50:56 PM »
I reviewed it recently on ICVD (https://www.inverteddungeon.com/index.php?section=fanworks&page=game_castlevania_fighter), and yeah, I had to do a bit of digging to get a copy I could reliably link to. The game itself is still hosted over on uptodown, with a bit of info: https://castlevania-fighter.en.uptodown.com/windows

As for the source code... https://sotnhacked.freeforums.net/thread/83/download-links seems like they have the source package to the game.

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 07:46:35 AM »
Most of the few peoples that left in this project are in discord updating since the source code is open, they add Hector, Lizardman, Rusty and other more.

Here is an example:

https://youtu.be/e86HaD-JtHI

https://youtu.be/3BdBAYRPb4E

In the description of those videos you will find the link of the discord if you want to go and chat with them.

Offline AbsoluteBoom

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 08:54:21 AM »
Oh so the project can be considered alive? Thank you guys so much for the information, I will check those links inmediatly.

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 09:02:41 AM »
Most of the few peoples that left in this project are in discord updating since the source code is open, they add Hector, Lizardman, Rusty and other more.

Here is an example:

https://youtu.be/e86HaD-JtHI

https://youtu.be/3BdBAYRPb4E

In the description of those videos you will find the link of the discord if you want to go and chat with them.

Awesome, I'll get the discord community link added to my article.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 10:00:48 AM »
I had to watch the Rusty play-through just cause  :)

The sprite work is impressive. However her walking and running animations were a bit stiff as there was no bobbing up and down which would naturally occur while moving about. Although I'm surprised that they didn't match the colour of her character sprite with her cinematic images which are red. I would argue that her whip was also too short, but then I watched her battling Richter and he also had a short whip as well. So I'll surmise it was an intentional thing.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 10:31:01 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline rasgar

• Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 07:57:50 PM »
Although I'm surprised that they didn't match the colour of her character sprite with her cinematic images which are red.

Rusty's "correct" color is blue, that's how she appears in gameplay. She wears black on the box art. It's my opinion that the her blue color scheme is meant to resemble this, since coloring the player's outfit all black wouldn't stand out much. I don't know why she wears red in cutscenes.

Regardless, like every other character in the game, she has multiple palettes to choose from, and I included red and black ones to match her box art and cutscene appearances.

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2022, 08:20:46 PM »
Yeah, most characters don't appear as true black in games even if their outfits are black in box art. Just makes for a more contrasted, and dynamic, experience for the player.

Offline AbsoluteBoom

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2022, 03:52:09 AM »
I joined their Discord and the new Official Forums the other day (My forum post hasn't been replied yet though), and from the Work in Progress channels that they have, it seems like they are aiming for a pretty big game.
I think one of the main developers left the Discord and the Project, so maybe progress will be really slow.
I'm really a big fan of this game, and I want to support it the best I can (Even though I don't know how to sprite or code), there's some characters that I really want to see make it in into the roster (Christopher, RoB Laura and Eric), but they are defenitely in good steps.
Ever since Jop shared those Youtube links in here, in my feed have appeared videos of people playing the most recent updates, so seems like the game is getting some exposure, the only thing I can see missing maybe would be a game trailer.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2022, 08:13:42 PM »
I actually forgot about this game. Now I wanna play it again.

Tags: fangame question