Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Please support Wayfoward so they can make the next Castlevania.  (Read 18821 times)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Re: Please support Wayfoward so they can make the next Castlevania.
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 05:44:23 PM »
+3
I wouldn't try to write a little essay about every game of them, I've played 4, the best one being Contra of course, bur the rest.. eeeh.
I'll stand for my statement again, Wayforward makes the best looking mediocre games.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 05:51:45 PM »
This does indeed seem like a sudden turn. I remember people saying Bloodrayne: Betrayal and Hotel Transylvania were indicators that Wayforward would be an ideal choice for the next CV dev. Did all of the people who made those two games suddenly leave?

The core team that did Contra 4, Shante and Double Dragon Neon all left the company a year ago to form Yacht Club Games.

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 06:43:36 PM »
Give it to Lab-Zero, From Software, and Platinum games.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 07:03:27 PM »
+2
LOL completely forgetting all about Contra 4 in that 'objective' Metacritic analysis. B
wahaha, that's good.  My sides hurt and everything.

Anyway, having actually played a lot of Wayforward titles, they're good games.
They're not all 'best' games, but you have to remember that Wayforward is a developer, not a publisher.
They're not calling all the shots.  They could make an awesome game and the publisher can go "Well fuck that, cut this, cut that, cut the other thing" and all they can do is say "ok".

Shantae: Risky's Revenge is a wonderful game that isn't packed with a lot of extra stuff.  It's to be sure, at least an 80 out of 100.

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 09:36:20 PM »
LOL completely forgetting all about Contra 4 in that 'objective' Metacritic analysis. B

They're not all 'best' games, but you have to remember that Wayforward is a developer, not a publisher.
They're not calling all the shots.  They could make an awesome game and the publisher can go "Well fuck that, cut this, cut that, cut the other thing" and all they can do is say "ok".

Shantae: Risky's Revenge is a wonderful game that isn't packed with a lot of extra stuff.  It's to be sure, at least an 80 out of 100.
I like WayForward, but I can admit not all of the games are the best, but you could definitely say that for every developer. Even Mercury Steam wasn't flawless. Clive Barker's Jericho, anybody? And hell, Scrapland got super mixed reviews. While I might not be the biggest fan of LoS, I can acknowledge they did SOMETHING good, but would it have been fair to write them off SOLELY based on their other games? Hell no! :)

Metacritic be damned(really, as it annoys me how much companies yield to the will of that website regarding "changing things up")!!

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 09:56:23 PM »
I like WayForward, but I can admit not all of the games are the best, but you could definitely say that for every developer. Even Mercury Steam wasn't flawless. Clive Barker's Jericho, anybody?

So Jericho was good?

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 10:00:45 PM »
Fun fact, I knew Jericho before knowing that it was made by MercurySteam, even before knowing who did LoS. A friend of mine showed the game for me and wanted me to install it in his PC. :P`

It was pretty good, at least the part that I saw, its a FPS. So I know that MercurySteam have a HUGE potential for original franchises and original ideas.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 11:36:59 PM »

I haven't played a whole lot of their stuff but I can understand folks thinking of their output as at least a mixed bag.

Contra 4 was phenomenal, among the best games I've ever played. Double Dragon Neon was hilarious, pretty fun, could've done without the grindy RPG elements. Ducktales is good, but mostly because it's almost the exact same game as the NES version. Bloodrayne I didn't like a whole lot due to its finicky controls... maybe I was playing it wrong?

I'd like Yacht Club to do some Castlevania, but they seem much more keen on doing original stuff, which I can understand, coming from a background of doing games mostly for preexisting licenses.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 12:15:50 AM »
So Jericho was good?
It was nothing special as a FPS. The only reason I played through it was because I'm a sucker for Clive Barker. Then again, back in the 80s, I DID sit through Rawhead Rex for the same reason. That being said, I had a much mor enjoyable time with Undying than I did with Jericho.

I'd like Yacht Club to do some Castlevania, but they seem much more keen on doing original stuff, which I can understand, coming from a background of doing games mostly for preexisting licenses.
Yeah, they basically said they WANTED to do original stuff while at WayForward, but kept getting put on existing franchise projects. They basically left because they wanted to do their own original thing, which I'm actually happy for them. I personally don't see a "choose sides" between them and WayForward. I welcome BOTH of them with open arms. The more studios like them(with respect for the 2D craft and retro-styled gaming), the better, IMO. Interestingly enough, I kinda hope Shovel Knight does good. Yacht Club hinted that, with sequels, they might explore a SNES-like route, or even a N64-like route. Would be interesting to see that happen!

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 01:27:38 AM »
That was me playing on Mercury steam being "flawless"ly bad. Because while I "enjoyed" their CV, I found it far from great with a great many annoyances. But I see that it wasn't picked up.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 02:15:43 AM »
+1
Fun fact, I knew Jericho before knowing that it was made by MercurySteam, even before knowing who did LoS. A friend of mine showed the game for me and wanted me to install it in his PC. :P`

It was pretty good, at least the part that I saw, its a FPS. So I know that MercurySteam have a HUGE potential for original franchises and original ideas.

It's a shame everyone forgot about Severance, it was basically proto Demon's Soul's. (yeah I know Kings Field existed)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:20:42 AM by Kingshango »

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 09:26:10 PM »
To people who says no to WayForward, I just have 2 words: Dusk Falls.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Pumpkin Glow

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (PS2/XBOX)
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 07:59:06 AM »
I showed Wayforward the email which I sent to Konami and got a reply from Aaron Thornton:

Thanks for the glowing recommendation! We'd love to get a chance to work with Konami on another title, especially one as high-profile as Castlevania. :)

Best regards,

-Aaron

glowing? the last name of my username is glow. oh sheet!
Laugh to spar. Cry to fight.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 12:06:57 PM »
Do you work at WayForward?
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Pumpkin Glow

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (PS2/XBOX)
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 12:26:26 PM »
+1
I really don't. I work  as a security guard in Napa Ca.  Also, I'm un-self proclaimed eye candy and love Bondage Fairies. We should have coffee sometime.
Laugh to spar. Cry to fight.

Tags:

anything