Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Looking at Castlevania 3....  (Read 8937 times)

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« on: November 05, 2007, 04:30:16 PM »
This proably doesn't warrantawhole topic on it but..... I just looked at the Japanese cover of Castlevania 3, and it shows Sypha and she looks like a girl. Anyone noticed that?

Offline CVfan13

• Devil Forgemaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Graveyard Duck
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 04:34:23 PM »
Why shouldn't she? After all, Sypha IS a girl.
"I am the morning sun come to vanquish this horrible night!"

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 04:54:32 PM »
yea but doesn't that kind of kill the suprise when you meet him or theother way around when you meet him? or her of course, since she appears as a man first.

Offline Blue Cheese

• SO DAMNED GOOD
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Looking at Castlevania 3....
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 07:06:25 PM »
they tend to draw their dudes to look like chicks anyway, though.

zachier

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 08:28:07 PM »
It's true that back then, it was surprising for us to see a female video game character(Remember Samus?). For Japanese people, however, it wasn't; the concept has long been introduced through anime and... other means.

Anyway, you get my point. 

Offline ryuuken

• HORA HORA WRYYY
  • HORA HORA WRYYY
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 08:00:34 AM »
This proably doesn't warrantawhole topic on it but..... I just looked at the Japanese cover of Castlevania 3, and it shows Sypha and she looks like a girl. Anyone noticed that?

...and...?

o.O
リヒター・ベルモンド

Quasar

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 08:27:15 AM »
The original US manual for the game referred to Sypha as male, much in the same way that the original manual for Metroid did this to Samus (though it also stated explicitly that his/her/its identity was unknown, leading you to suspect something from the get-go).

This was probably an invention of the English translators, inspired directly by Metroid (it's the exact same sort of pull-off-the-helmet/hood "AH-HAAAA!" thing at the end of the game). I'm going to guess that the Japanese manual didn't try to fool you in the same way, and thus there was no surprise to ruin with the concept art.

Steve

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 11:07:56 AM »
In the Japanese manual, Sypha's gender was also left ambiguous, if not implied to be masculine.  And if you look at the Japanese artwork, she doesn't look particularly male or female, either.

I doubt whoever wrote the American manual had any homage to Metroid in mind.  Knowing how out of it Konami's manual writers were back then, he probably didn't even play the game, just took the Japanese manual at face value, and unknowingly propagated the misleading profile.

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 12:59:11 AM »
It's true that back then, it was surprising for us to see a female video game character(Remember Samus?).

You should play Renegade on the NES.  You go through a whole level doing nothing but beating up women.

Offline Raphael Belmont

• Completely New
  • Vampire Hunter
  • whatever!
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 04:00:19 AM »
In Reply To #9

zombie women? :(

Drac's army of zombie-trannie-weirdos

:-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 07:33:22 AM »
In Reply To #9

I think he means main character, heroines were rare if not plain non existant back in the day.

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
  • Captain Obvious :(
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 10:49:57 AM »
In Reply To #9

Oh my...
---------------------------------------
The Chapel of Resonance- OST's, reviews, translations, and the latest Fan Games- any and everything Castlevania!

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 11:04:24 AM »
In Reply To #9

Well, in the original Renegade, they were huge fat women that would pick you up and slap the shit out of you. The the sequel, Target:Renegade though they were pretty shapely. I remember that being a sore spot with a reviewer when the game came out.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 12:41:07 PM »
In Reply To #12

I like your sig   >:(

Who's the artist ?

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
  • Captain Obvious :(
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 01:09:45 PM »
In Reply To #14

It's Ayami Kojima's DXC Succubus design. I find it better than her normal Annette design.  :P
---------------------------------------
The Chapel of Resonance- OST's, reviews, translations, and the latest Fan Games- any and everything Castlevania!

Tags:

anything