Poll

Which is better?

Original
5 (35.7%)
Slim & Lite
9 (64.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: PSP: Original vs. Slim & Lite  (Read 10951 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: November 22, 2007, 01:14:59 AM »
Curious what you all think is the better handheld. I've heard from a few people that the Slim feels really fragile and kind of weird to hold. I've heard that the Slim possibly has a better screen, but I don't even know if that's true.

Trying to decide which I should get when I do eventually buy a PSP.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 07:17:02 AM »
I haven't played the original enough to really have a valid opinion, but I can say that I love my PSP slim.  I don't think it feels fragile at all.  I can see how people would think the UMD slot feels fragile, but it's really a non-issue.  You pull open a hinged cover, toss in your disc, and close the cover - as long as it doesn't snap off in your hands, why would it need to feel heavy duty?  Also, the slot where you insert the memory cards is only covered by this thin piece that peels back a bit.  But there too, you use it so little, and it stays shut on its own, so I don't see how this is relevant.

So yeah, I can see why people might say the new PSP is fragile.  But I've been completely satisfied with my PSP in every way.  There's nothing like having a collection of Gradiuses, CVs, and a new Silent Hill on the go.

Offline elbryan42

• Bargle Nawdle Zouss???
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: PSP: Original vs. Slim & Lite
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 08:24:32 AM »
Aside from being burned by Sony because the slim's TV output only supports Progressive Scan/Widescreen support only for games, I have to say that the original is far better than the slim.

The original is sturdier, made better, less cheap. On the slim, the UMD slot/tray is  a cheap piece of plastic with no eject button, with nothing much to keep you from accidentally fucking the insides when putting in your UMD. Also, the screen isn't protected much at all. The original has a cover of sorts over the whole face of the PSP, protecting the screen and the edges of the screen, the slim does not. The slim also has a smaller battery, with less life. Sony actually wants you to go out and spend more money on a better battery and battery cover.

The slim, however, is slightly faster with loading, and the browser is a bit smoother.

But I just don't trust the slim. It's not out of spite because of the TV output being crap, it's that it just feels so cheaply made. I returned mine. I was too afraid of it being damaged by accident.
----------------------------------------------------
Check out Elbryan42's Doom Depot! Check out the Doom 64 TC and download some Doom music.
http://doomdepot.doom2.net/

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 08:49:33 AM »
In Reply To #3

The slim is 10x better for emulation, because of the extra RAM/cache.

Of course, it needs modding for it to do all of that.  I got my slim modded last Saturday.

I like that it's lighter... but it does look like it's cheaply made.  In fact, the 'backlight' of the display leaks from the speaker holes and from the D-Pad and Square button holes... that just kinda screams "Don't play me anywhere near Rain, guyz".

It should've been better covered up.  And yeah you should immediately invest in a Screen Protector right after the slim.

I like the D-Pad more in the slim, too.  It seems way too recessed in the Phat for my fingers (someone with larger/chubbier fingers might like the original's more... not me, however).

At least they now offer it in Piano Black... which resembles the first PSP.

I'm selling my phat (which is also modded) to my nephew.  I don't play the slim as much as the DS (though far more lately because of FFTactics and stuff).

Loading times become a thing of the past when loading off the MemoryStick, btw... and with that, so goes the short battery life, so the battery's a non-issue for me.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 09:43:16 AM »
Pro Tip:

Don't listen to Earth Worm Know-nothing.

I own both, and I can say; Slim is made better than the old. IT HAS A DPAD THAT WORKS LIKE A NORMAL DPAD.

GET THE SLIM. THE DPAD ON THE ORIGINAL IS THE WORST DPAD EVER. TRUST ME.

Its also lighter and more sturdy. It has a better scratch resistance on the screen too.

Bottom line: GET THE SLIM.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 09:31:24 PM »
The slim has the same battery life as the original.  The battery itself doesn't hold as much juice, but the slim is more efficient with the battery use.  The end result is that the batteries last equally long.  If you want to put an old PSP battery in a new PSP, you'll have a battery that lasts twice as long as a factory PSP setup.

Offline Cypress

• Whip's Memory
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 06:33:50 AM »
And about how long does the battery last?
-----------------------------------------------
Nowadays you are either a graphics whore or a fanboy. BR is Shank not CV. It is ridiculous to think that it is better than CV. If it was CV then it would be what RE4 is to Resi, a series killer. Dumb it down and make it look pretty. Enough idiots will buy it.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 11:24:22 AM »
A few hours. It depends on the screen brightness and volume level too. You can reduce those to save battery life.

Offline John Capricorn

• Celebrate good times, c'mon. Celebrate ...etc
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 08:06:01 PM »
That's a stupid post, why don't you at least give some pros and cons of each version?  Some kind of introduction perhaps (to thread starter)?  Anyway I vote slim.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 07:12:18 PM »
original > Slim and Lite (too fragile)
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 09:27:37 PM »
That's a stupid post, why don't you at least give some pros and cons of each version?

Offline bobby digital

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 12:42:54 PM »
I got my hands on a new PSP and holy crap, it's a lot lighter.  I suppose that's what makes it feel so cheap.

D-pad on the slim>old psp

Battery Life with the 2200 mah battery is around 13 hours...

Get the slim.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 11:27:55 AM »
In Reply To #9

Of course its a stupid post, if you don't read it all or understand what hes trying to get at.

I haven't seen the psp slim,... I've heard the best way to go is get both switch batteries. and then play with the slim. That costs like crazy though >.>

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 10:31:56 PM »
In Reply To #12

is it easy to hit diagonal directions on the Slim's D-pad? That's the only real complaint I have about the Phat, is that the pad sucks.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 12:48:45 AM »
That's a stupid post, why don't you at least give some pros and cons of each version?  Some kind of introduction perhaps (to thread starter)?  Anyway I vote slim.

Wait. Let me make sure I'm reading this right, so correct me if I'm wrong. You think MY post is stupid, right? I'M supposed to give pros and cons of both versions of the PSP, when I'M the one asking for others' opinions on which is better? If I knew the pros and cons, I wouldn't be asking other people which they like more so's to better gage what I wanna buy.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags: