Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Metroid Samus Returns (Metroid 2 remake) for 3DS, developed by......Mercurysteam  (Read 6798 times)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Yeah, you beat me to it. I was watching gameplay live and it seems to be very good (I still've a problem with the fact that you get Super Missiles in a crystal cave area like in the fangame, I think you understand what I'm implying here) gameplay-wise, but I still find the "counter" mechanic strange for a 2D Metroid game. Oh and who thought it would be a good idea to show this after their Nintendo Direct E3 Conference? That was a stupid choice, almost no one watches Treehouse.

Finally we got a remake for Metroid 2 AND another Metroid Prime game, maybe they are preparing the ground for Metroid 5 after that?

I didn't see Dave Cox there, he was fired or what? Hopefully he will stay away from this.

Also someone else have a problem with the death animation? The way that the armor detaches and falls almost like Lego pieces felt strange to me.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:08:52 AM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
I'm iffy personally. LoS was a terrible iteration of Castlevania and Nintendo shit on Samus's character (amongst other things) in Other M. I'll keep an eye out on this but I'm not hoping for anything. At the very least it looks like how Metroid should. But that's probably Nintendo watching MS like a Hawk after the whole LoS debacle.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
MercurySteam - Where beloved gaming franchises go to die.

At least the internet seems happy. Nobody actually played Mirror of Fate so I guess I can't blame them...

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Found these news articles that I had totally forgotten after all these years:
MercurySteam pitched a Metroid prototype for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS
Exclusive: MercurySteam has been working on a Metroid prototype for Wii U and 3DS
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow studio pitched Metroid game to Nintendo
MercurySteam denies pitching new Metroid game to Nintendo

This shows that they really tried to destroy this franchise with their stupid ideas, but Nintendo didn't let them do it. Maybe if Konami had the balls and took the reins at the time like Nintendo did...
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
Well, for starters: Samus needs to control like...well, Samus. If they get that down we can talk. Judging by the trailer, Samus is doing some pretty un-samusy things, but at least the core movement looks like it stays reasonably true to the roots. My main problem with Mirror of Fate was that MercurySteam didn't seem to even remotely grasp how a 2D sidescroller should control. Maybe they've actually studied old school Metroid for this one!

Offline squaretex

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
The phrase "cautiously optimistic" really applies here...for me, of course.

I did have some fun with the first LoS and MoF, but the second main game just didn't click.

And with regards to Metroid, I'd LIKE to think Nintendo has a BIT more concern for Metroid than Konami does for CastleVania. Right? RIGHT?!?  :-\

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhOx-FpEAQk

Now it makes sense that they put a cease on am2R at the time. This remake looks good. It'll be the last game I buy for 3ds.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Now it makes sense that they put a cease on am2R at the time. This remake looks good. It'll be the last game I buy for 3ds.
It plays just like Other M, without the Baby-babel.

I dunno how to feel about this one, I hate how it's foundation is built from one of the best fan-games I've ever played, but at the same time... it looks really fun.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 01:18:36 PM by KaZudra »

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards

In fairness, I think that's the fault of being bastich.

I sincerely doubt Ninty was thinking of this remake ten years ago when AM2R was formulated. They only caught wind of it at the end of its journey and that journey's timeframe happened to conflict with their probably-only-a-year-or-two-old plans for a remake.

Also I gotta be frank, AM2R was way better-looking than this. This just looks terrible at capturing atmosphere with everything all bright and slathered in bloom lighting.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 01:44:40 PM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)

Aight, it's looking alright.  Definitely looks like a Metroid game as opposed to Mirror of Fate's attempt at an IGAvania.

Found these news articles that I had totally forgotten after all these years:
MercurySteam pitched a Metroid prototype for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS
Exclusive: MercurySteam has been working on a Metroid prototype for Wii U and 3DS
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow studio pitched Metroid game to Nintendo
MercurySteam denies pitching new Metroid game to Nintendo

This shows that they really tried to destroy this franchise with their stupid ideas, but Nintendo didn't let them do it. Maybe if Konami had the balls and took the reins at the time like Nintendo did...

That's pretty much how it seems at the moment in my eyes.  Also, wasn't Lords of Shadow going to be an original IP at one point?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 02:41:48 PM by TheTextGuy »

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
After watching the gameplay footage, it does look more like a proper Metroid game than their attempt at a Castlevania game. Maybe Nintendo has an eagle eyed view on their development. Considering me cautiously leaning towards optimistic.

Also relieving to hear that the super Metroid composers are doing the music.

That's pretty much how it seems at the moment in my eyes.  Also, wasn't Lords of Shadow going to be an original IP at one point?

The story is that was always pitched as a Remake of Castlevania 1, then Konami rejected the idea, then it morphed into a new IP and finally it became a Castlevania game again by the request of their once golden boy Kojima most likely at the last minute.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:20:30 PM by Kingshango »

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Aside from the fact that it's a remake/reimagining, everything from the gameplay demo looks very good. I think it will at least be as good as Zero Mission. I am curious if you can run/jump and shoot at the same time, however; the gameplay shown didn't make that clear, as they were always using the new 360-aiming feature. Glad that it still includes some of the old songs from MII. Surreal that Mercury Steam is involved...but then, they were trying to pitch stuff in the past. And by the way, I think I heard Dave Cox left to do his own thing similar to Ben Judd.

Now, as for Metroid Prime 4...it sounds like we're looking at more of the same 1st-person adventuring. Other M, for all its faults, opened up some avenues to explore a more expansive 3rd-person 3D adventure...something with the camera system of say, Breath of the Wild. But that doesn't sound like it's happening now. I think they're going to play it safe to try to appease fans. But I'd like to see Metroid move forward, considering there have already been four core 1st-person Metroids and one spinoff. Samus needs to be able to interact with her environment more acrobatically with some new abilities, and can't really do that in 1st person.

All and all, I'm intrigued but disappointed at the same time. Yet, within all that, I do have some hopefulness for the future.

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
The story is that was always pitched as a Remake of Castlevania 1, then Konami rejected the idea, then it morphed into a new IP and finally it became a Castlevania game again by the request of their once golden boy Kojima most likely at the last minute.

Aight, I think I would've been less critical of LoS had it been its own IP as it was going to be at one point as you mentioned.

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
At the very least it looks like how Metroid should. But that's probably Nintendo watching MS like a Hawk after the whole LoS debacle.

That and unlike Mirror of Fate, this is a remake as opposed to something done from scratch. MS has only to build on what came before, so there's less of a chance of them messing this up.

One hopes at least.

Tags:

anything