Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Halloween! 2013  (Read 27619 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 04:54:54 PM »
I'll probably watch the sequel just out of curiosity. To be honest, I always hated how the original sequel
(click to show/hide)
I always thought that kind of ruined the feel of the original film. Well, not ruin it, since it's still a great flick, I just have to watch it as a standalone piece and ignore what was established later, because it doesn't make sense to me. There really should never have been any sequels.

That said, I like II and III and to some extent 4.
I actually like H20. I wish they would of continued from there.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 01:14:39 PM »
+1
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 01:32:32 PM by Ratty »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2013, 02:27:40 PM »
After seeing 5 minutes I noticed that these voices  and kind of humor were familiar and them remembered from where, so I checked the channel and its really from retsupurae xD

I already knew that Sonic.EXE thing because of the youtube video showing a game based on that, but with them reading the fic it becomes even more cool and funny.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2013, 03:03:52 AM »
After seeing 5 minutes I noticed that these voices  and kind of humor were familiar and them remembered from where, so I checked the channel and its really from retsupurae xD

I already knew that Sonic.EXE thing because of the youtube video showing a game based on that, but with them reading the fic it becomes even more cool and funny.

Yep, they did a whole series on creepy pastas. After watching them I think the second episode was actually funnier. The pasta was certainly more absurd.

After my girlfriend showed me a list of "50 Essential Halloween Movies" and I saw that I disagreed with many of them, I decided to try and make a list of my own of films that are perfect for the season. Resisting the temptation to put in "so bad it's good" films (of which I'm perhaps overly fond) in favor of movies that are just genuinely good and have great Halloween atmosphere I decided to shorten my list to 31. Here's what I've got so far, in no particular order-

1.   The Bride of Frankenstein - Almost certainly the best film the Universal horror cycle produced, it cemented the classic image of the monster for generations and oozes classic spooky atmosphere.

2.    Halloween (1978) - A great slasher movie (my personal favorite, though I'm not a big fan of the genre) and has a perfect seasonal touch. It's a blend of an old spookshow monster movie and a more modern, more graphic and violent take on horror. The theme song is unforgettable.

3.   Halloween 2 (1981) - Great follow up to the original which nicely closes the story imo.

4.     Army of Darkness - If you haven't seen it, see it. If you've seen it you know why it needs to be high on anyone's list of Halloween movies.

5.   House on Haunted Hill (1959) - Vincent Price at the height of his powers in a cheesy but spooky haunted house classic.

6.   The Wolf Man (Director’s Cut) (2010) - The little bit of extra time for pacing and character development added to this movie makes the home video version much more enjoyable than the one I saw in the theaters.

7.   The Wolf Man (1941) - I've seen this film at least 10 times, while it's one of the lesser universal horrors it's a personal favorite and a must for anyone looking to add some more lycanthropy to their festivities.

8.    Fright Night (1985) - A genuinely scary and funny film. All of the performances are great but Roddy McDowell is especially excellent as the washed up horror star turned reluctant Vampire slayer.

9.   An American Werewolf in London - Just like Fright Night, a true horror-comedy classic. Though the humor is more pronounced in this one it's not at all to the detriment to the horror and tragedy.

10.    Dracula (1931) - Can feel a little slow and dull at times from a modern perspective, but its atmosphere is undeniable.

11.   The Mummy’s Hand - The first and best of Universal's Mummy movies focusing on the Mummy Kharis.

12.   Werewolf of London - Classic atmosphere, possibly a better movie than "The Wolf Man" though the makeup is more minimalistic.

13.   Nosferatu - Creepy iconic classic.

14.   Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man - Focuses mostly on the Wolf Man, good sequel in the same vein though a little more silly.

15.   Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein - Once Universal had milked their classic Frankenstein, Dracula and Wolf Man series into the ground they made this self-parody to top it off. Bela Lugosi shines in his second of only 2 screen appearances as Dracula. A very fun and funny movie.

16.   Horror of Dracula - Hammer's original, very animalistic take on the Count.

17.    The Night Stalker - Introduced Darren McGaven as dedicated but sometimes cranky reporter Kolchak. After this and another TV movie he would star in the short lived but fondly remembered TV show "Kolchak: The Night Stalker". In this adventure he's on the track of a vampire let loose in Las Vegas.

18.   Night of the Living Dead (original or 1990 remake) - Both versions are classic, though the 1990 remake will probably be more scary for a modern audience.

19.  The Mummy (1959) - Many Hammer horrors were plodding with little action, this one isn't.

20.   Mr. Vampire - Probably the best movie in the Jiang-Shi genre of Chinese hopping vampires.

21.   Dagon - Great, creepy and gory adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's "The Shadow Over Innsmouth"

22.   Vampire Hunter D - A classic that helped inspire Castlevania.

23.   The Last Man on Earth - Vincent Price in the first (and best) screen adaptation of "I Am Legend"

24.   Evil Dead 2 - Needs no introduction. Scary and darkly humorous.

25.   Arsenic & Old Lace - Carey Grant and Peter Lorre liven up the screen in this adaptation of a Broadway comedy. About a man who, coming home to tell his sweet old aunties about his elopement and impending honeymoon one Halloween night, finds out that they have gone insane and started poisoning and burying homeless people in their basement in the name of charity.

26.   Bram Stoker’s Dracula - Probably the best romance-focused Dracula movie.

27.   Sleepy Hollow - Seems to have been designed with October in mind. Not the best movie on this list but not a bad little whodunit.

28.   The Howling - Some of the best practical effects werewolves ever on film elevate a mediocre script.

29.   Dog Soldiers - Very well written and acted low budget action-horror movie taking place primarily in a house under siege in the night by a bloodthirsty werewolf pack. Some great humorous dialog to.

30.   Ernest Scared Stupid - Ok this one is a sentimental nostalgia pick but I still think it's a great Halloween movie, especially if you're looking for something more kid-friendly.

31.   White Zombie - Bela Lugosi and the sometimes spooky gothic sets combined with corny Voodoo zombies make this a great mood setter.

Honorable mentions:
Hellsing Ultimate, Hellsing (TV series) and Kolchak: The Night Stalker aren't technically movies but are still great seasonal viewing in my opinion.

Anyone else have a similar list? Movies you either think would be perfect for the season or already watch every year?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 05:15:18 PM by Ratty »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2013, 04:03:12 AM »
I recommend Trick 'r Treat.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2013, 04:46:20 AM »
I recommend Trick 'r Treat.

I keep meaning see that one, I hear it's quite good.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2013, 10:44:04 AM »
I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread but I watch it every year. Very good movie for getting into the Halloween mood

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2013, 01:42:06 PM »
Trick ’r Treat is a load of fun. Really cool atmosphere, entertaining stories. Makes me kinda sad that there aren't a whole lot of Halloween-themed horror movies—which makes me wish the Halloween series had continued the way the third movie had changed things and not gone back to make a slew of boring Myers sequels (which mostly all got retconned anyway).

"Scary and darkly humorous" is a good way to describe Evil Dead II. It's the only horror-comedy that I've seen which you can still truthfully leave the "horror" in.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2013, 02:31:02 PM »
Anyhooobz, I bin checkin' out some flicks for this year's October/Fall Horrorthon. So far I've seen these (followed by a rating and whether it was a rewatch):

The Blair Witch Project - 4/5 RW
Pumpkinhead - 4/5 RW
Sledgehammer - 1/5 (but strangely enticing)
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil - 4/5
The Deader the Better - 3.5/5
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 03:24:34 PM »
Wow, a Cinemassacre movie in your list.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 03:52:40 PM »
I love James Rolfe and bought the DVD sometime last year and decided it's finally time I watch it.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2013, 04:40:35 PM »
Me too, but I dont have money so I didnt watched it yet. Hey, I think it deserves to be here:

MR. BUCKET - Board James - Cinemassacre.com

(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2013, 04:43:58 PM »
The Dream Phone episode is a nice sequel to that.

Pretty sure all of the Cinemassacre flicks are on their website. I just like owning the DVDs, heh.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2013, 04:49:22 PM »
You could doubt me, but I've returned here now to post Dream Phone because I forgot to post it before only to see your post here now, are you stalking me? xD

Board James: Dream Phone
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2013, 05:04:29 PM »
>)

Here's The Deader the Better, by the way.

http://cinemassacre.com/2005/12/19/the-deader-the-better/

There's also a commentary on YouTube.

The DVD has some other extras that I'm unsure are online, such as an animatic and making-of featurette. I always love watching every last thing available on these Cinemassacre DVDs (both the Nerd stuff and non-Nerd).

Hell, might as well get the Nerd horror episodes in here.

AVGN: Friday the 13th (High Quality)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (higher quality and more footage than what's on YouTube)

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Angry Video Game Nerd

Halloween - Angry Video Game Nerd

Dracula - Angry Video Game Nerd

And his Monster Madness reviews are always a ton of fun to watch.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags:

anything