Poll

Of all the versions of Simon's first escapade, which is the best?

Castlevania
7 (38.9%)
Vampire Killer
0 (0%)
Haunted Castle
0 (0%)
Super Castlevania IV
5 (27.8%)
Akumajou Dracula X68000
6 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Best CV1  (Read 8008 times)

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: September 14, 2015, 06:38:59 AM »
Perosnally I'd say SCV4, with X68000 second (want to play it more, NOT with that horrid Kojima Simon redesign in Chronicles, need to load up an emulator (I'm aware Chronicles has the original as well, but I'd prefer to try it out with a keyboard again)). CV1 will ALWAYS be the classic though  8)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 07:54:43 AM »
Haunted Castle and Super Castlevania IV are completely different games. That they are shoved into the same category as CV1 has more to do with historical revisionism than anything else.

Also, since Vampire Killer was most likely developed alongside the Famicom Akumajo Dracula, it's debatable whether or not it's a version of CV1.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 07:59:24 AM by Nagumo »

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 08:19:22 AM »
GBA port.

Offline zombi

• I D D Q D
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 09:15:39 AM »
The original NES CV1.

I don't consider IV to be part of this.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 10:38:53 AM »
Looks like a lot of votes for Super Castlevania IV. However I don't see it as a remake, but a sequel to Castlevania II. Therefore I voted the original X68000 game as the definitive CV1 game (not the chronicles redesign as Simon is a man, not a pretty boy). AD X68000 has what the original NES title had, and then some giving a total of eight stages over the original six. It also includes some of the directional whipping introduced in SCV4, but only when it comes to whipping straight down or downward at an angle. Plus they have a cinematic scene explaining Dracula's revival
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 12:13:29 PM »
I didn't take the GB or computer ports into account, but the GBA port of 1 is great with it's save system.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 12:15:38 PM by Crying Freeman »

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 01:39:16 PM »
X68000 hands down. It has better visuals, music, gameplay, and stays much more true to the original than any of the other "versions" mentioned.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 03:23:39 PM »
Bit of a side note, if we go by soundtrack, I think X68000 wins almost by default. It has some of the best tunes of the series (Chronicles remixes, like Simon's redesign, don't do the original justice at all). It definitely has the best version of vampire killer, arguably the best wicked child, and a VERY cool bloody tears mix, and that's not including the original music present. Plus, it probably has the most "heroic" mix of Simon's theme... Damn, I wanna play this game again... (while the difficulty is extreme for me at parts, its the good kind that makes me wanna keep playing like in Ninja Gaiden).

Graphically speaking, it's a really great looking game for the time and platform. The sprites are definitely better than SCV4, and the different levels pop out more than in 4, and moving to each stage feels as different as it did moving through stages in 1. Plus, the opening cutscene is IS old school horror flick, and the ending cutscene is much better than 4's, with MUCH more detail in the castle crumbling, the background, Simon, and we even see birds flying off in the distance. Nice touch. Gameplay is also super exciting because of the tight controls, and a more balanced multi directional whip.

I'm so nostalgic for 4, but I'm lately starting to notice it's simplicity. After paying it for so long, I even notice how it can start to drag at parts. Plus, like I said, the ending is super simple, the opening scene is super simple, even though they speak a thousand words. It still think it's a beautiful game and one of the best and more memorable of the 16 bit era, but something is happening to it for me. Still think it has the absolute best lead up to Dracula in the entire series. Starting to think if it wasn't my first, I might think very differently of it today.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 03:50:05 PM »
CV1 but yeah like said before Chronicles soundtrack is really good

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 03:53:37 PM »
Vampire Killer and Chronicles are really the only two that recreate areas of the original game so they're more like remakes than the other two in terms of gameplay, as others have said.

But the original NES game will always be king.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 04:08:35 PM »
Chronicles.

Deal with it.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 05:35:59 PM »
Chronicles hands down. Contrary to popular consensus, I like the arrange version better, the artwork, the music, the prologue, everything.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 10:17:07 PM »
CV Chronicles

I'm aware that though the stage layout is more or less similar, the original X68000 game is more difficult in execution, because the enemies in higher loops have different behavior (something WTF really pissed me off ), and more aggressively AI-wise. The "Porting issues" in PS1 port caused the AI of minor enemies to be lazy like some of the IGA products. So I can understand why CV Chronicles was treated as a separate game from the Original X68000 counterpart, but I can accept the art style of Arrange Mode (Mainly because I love almost everything in PS1 CV Chronicles. ^o^)

Arrange Mode is more like SOTN IMO because there are little mercy frames Simon can jump even he already begins to fall from platforms, a function can be seen in SOTN. I have no direct evidence but I think it's a too-late rescue because the Simon hitbox have problems in Original mode of the PS1 port (Sometimes players just fall from forward+jump moveset at the fucking big hole in Block 8-2), and developers covered the problem in Arrange Mode by using altered moveset but dismissed Original Mode.
Not 100% working, but I was satisfied that there's a Castlevania game that I can play it, found different versions and told their difference, vanquished hundreds of loops, made "not to fall from the  damn hole" pray words once step in Block 8-2, in the past 3 years.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 10:36:52 PM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 03:33:36 AM »
The NES version is the most memorable for me, but I honestly think the X68000 game is the best. The castle was brought to life much better in that one.

Also, I really liked the creepiness of the fetuses popping out of the jars, and the visual ways that the game would mess with you (the outdoor scene that was actually a peeling mural, the writhing bodies in one of the picture frames, etc.). And the werewolf using parts of the clock face to attack you...I could go on. Just really loved the X68000's version of the castle.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 06:23:05 PM »
+1
The first CV for the NES was a game that my brother and his friend brought to the house. They got to Death and lost. I was frustrated as I wanted to play SMB and that they left and told me not to shut it off. I cant remember if I played up to and past or just through the 5th level but I beat the Reaper to their surprise. A few months later after renting the game again from the local VHS vid ya store (dagnabit) I defeated Dracula and his ghost jumping over the fireballs and whipping or booming his head with only one hit worth of health left on my end. I was soooooo happy. I went through the game a couple times after that to be sure I didnt win on a fluke. It wasn't. Suffice it to say that game as atmospheric as Chronicles and SCVIV's music is, it's the stiff move/jump mechanics and the fade out to boss music that really gets to me.
CVI.

Beating that game and Ninja Gaiden was a sign for me that I had a passion for gaming and I was pretty good at it. Now I am old and crusturd.

I hope this story will be told for a very long time.

Bob   

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Tags:

anything