Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Super Castlevania 3 Project--Progress Report  (Read 189017 times)

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
Super Castlevania 3 Project--Progress Report
« on: August 05, 2012, 07:25:19 AM »
Hey guys! Progress report....... 8) 8) 8)  IF there is rumor of the game being on hiatus their no longer is now. And not too worry all the levels that have been build with the exeption of mad forest will find their way into the game one way or another.Well here's what we've got so far. Dont know what happened to OBreck or Mew, both very very talented, but kinda MIA if you ask me. I still talk to Shodian from time to time about things in the engine, and he seems busy on MKF project. Which btw kicks complete ass you should check that out.I highly recommend doing so. since that last official demo2 on the now Fangame fushion site, Reiko,myself,Crimson Curse, APC, Donoffrio, have contributed quite a bit to the project. And it has been coming along nicely. We are considering recruiting more help also with coding,3d object model makers,effects, etc. It may take a load off of everyone if another coder got involved,however i don't wanna step on anyones toes, so i typically ask the coders first what they think.They seem ok with it so far. Ok here we are:

Drac's Keep(wip rought draft)
Drac's keepdrac fight
-this is not final by any means.
-Drac boss is very glitchy and is still being worked on by one of our coders when he returns at the end of the month.
-Addition of mirrors(you can see you not drac) in the boss battle maybe. Addtion of paintings,bushes,furniure, statues,decors need to be added in. Some room sizes may change including rooms  and 5,6 and 7 to become larger more roomy.
-Room one statues, and color edits need some implementing

Death's Lair-Main Hall(wip rough draft)
Main hall wip2death screwy
-Need to enhance rooms 3 and 4 big time, and possibly stretch the size of those and room 1 aswell. Possibly knock out a few walls and add extra features. Plans to make an armor guard actually attackable out of the blue. Plus chandeliers falling in certain areas.
-Bridge needs tweaking, one part doesn't break right away. Maybe it's just spritework that needs to be dealt with their.
-Bridge needs archways and too be fancied up a bit. Also the additions of other various features paintings,bushes, statues, all on the list of things
-The level overall itself will indefinetly get a repallette change. It will ultimely be brigther grey/white offset and teh maroon will be a bit more redder in definition. The white/grey will be more like that of the stairs in the rooms

Swamp stage(pretty much finalized exept Phantom Bat Boss)
Swamp Final

-On possible tweaks maybe to take away the alpha_image on the mud. So it is a solid color. Makes probably more sense.
-also going through the doors unless the height is 240 seems to be an issue. Not sure why. I didn't code that part.
-May possibly add those drapping vines in 16 bit like that of the nes version. If i feel they are too much i will not

The Rising Tower(wip rough draft)
Rising Tower Wip
-Overall level is done, and room sizes are pretty decent.May add ornaments,statues, broken pillars, that sort of thing.

Level 1(Wip very rough draft wip)
level 1 wip1
-Not sure where to begin. Rooms 1-4 especially 3 will get a total revamp. Probably looking very differnt when done. Only the backgrounds will be kept.
-Will add a struck by lightning Tree like that of Castlevania Chronicles, either probablyh in room 1 or room8 maybe 7 doubtful though.
-Some of the backgrounds added need more artwork tweaked on them such as the houses in rooms 6 and 7.
-Plans to make room5(medusa head room) into an aqueduct room with flowing water and mirror reflections and such.
-Very uncertain on the tileage at this point. Just trying to find what looks good i guess but beleivable.
-Also once i learn 3d objects and can make some(will take time of course). I plan on taking out some backgrounds like in room 1 and inserting 3d style houses in the backgrounds, along with a moving windmill in room 6 3d. And also a mill and pully system in the aquedect room 5 i think it is.

Old ghost ship(needs revamping)
super castlevania 3 potential ghostship level
-Gonna tweak the entire thing. Most of it will not look the same.
Got plans to eithre give the background water flowing like that of drac's keep,mirror effect(probably not here though), or crashing waves. Probably the last one!

I will totally ditch Mad forest and start a new. It was looking rather plain and ugly imho. I could do much better now i know more of what it is i'm doing and looking for aswell.

We are also beginning production on the Floodgate moat bridge level.

Other plans include but not yet implemented are:
Adding non repeat bosses
2 on the list selected from a pool(not all are selected yet)
are:
 Olrox form 1 and 2 to replace the last monster trio probably level 13 boss. He should play out just like he does in sotn but a differnt room of course with a double scaled boss view. I can tweak code their.
Grakul- had considered making a vampire bat form 2 using castlevania rebirth dracula' bat form 2. But idea got tossed do to too many form 2 bosses.

Other potentials may include any boss that would fit viably into the 1476 timeline or at least not in a specific one. Examples of some that won't fit would be Brauner,Camilla,Elizabeth Bartley, Shaft etc etc. Crimson had mentioned Legion boss as a replace,or maybe succubus. We'll have to see what everyone wants. I do like legion boss maybe to replace someone. Also their are some secrets in the game we are keeping hidden from people.

SCV3 team-
Obreck lead coder,conceptual design,level designer,founder MIA
Del consultant
MEW&SHodian level designers,assisted in project with one level each also  part of MKF project
Reiko-current sprite designer,conceptual art, consultant,
Laslund-conceptual art,level designer,sprite art, assistant coder,
Crimson Curse- current lead coder
APC-current lead coder
Donofrio-current sprite artist
Dastan aka Barnabus-voice actor(When we come that)
Music: Several artists here, including Torlezan, Jorge Fuentes, and others. All in the credit list. Iv'e asked permission from all but one or two people who i've treid but can't make contact with. Primarily Kenzy cause i don't speak Japanese on one of his tracks. Another guy hasn't responded back. And if cool with Jorge we'd like to use some of his tracks which in my opinion are some of the best.
SOrry for the terribly long post. I wanna apologize for that. Well hope you enjoy the progress. Who knows maybe they'll be a day that we can all somehow mesh these projects into one big awesome Castlevania Chronicles:Drac's Curse. Well if your like me your hopeful!!

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Super Castlevania 3 Project--Progress Report
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 10:29:18 AM »
Much better Las, now your project has a distinctiveness about it. While I think, it would be cool to merge all the projects into 1 full game, realistically too many factors probably will stop that from happening. Different vision, using different software, (remember Warmachine is making his version of CV3 with MMF2) etc. not too mention Jorge stopped on his project looong ago and I don't know if he is so fancy about completing it anytime soon. (Not that I am speaking for him or anything.) I really like where you projet is heading especially since I have been watching it since its infancy and all the changes etc. out of curiosity, what kind of 3d elements or props are you trying to include in the game?

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 10:44:02 AM »
Yeah i really can't comment much on anyone's game to be honest. As i'm not technically involved with the other project. I know what you mean about vision, but with that being said it's possible to take the best pieces of anyone or everyon'es game and merge them. Ideas in the eyes of the beholder but it would take alot to make something like that happen, i do understand. With that being said our team is still moving forward and making pretty good progress. Several bosses are done or nearing completion, several have not yet been coded. The 3d objects i'm talking about include at the very least a handful of things. Primarily backgrounds. In the first level houses, Mainly the ones that are blue or brown probably. You know how those houses are in Olrox's level in SOTN. 3d background objects. Plans to make a 3d waterfall in the atlantis or moat(perhaps)have been discussed. Also a 3d windmill(somehow moving if possible). I'd like to make  a Mill in room 4 3d aswell with a pulley bucket system. Also a 3d barn in teh swamp stage right at the beggining. Their are several other ideas aswell. In the moat level for a backdrop i woudln't mind constructing some 3d mountain ranges or perhaps leave that for the mountain range level itself. Also we may.....not sure yet add 3d style lava in either the mountain side level, catacombs, or a secret area. Just a few ideas that could be implemented. I personally do not wanna overdue certain areas either. So i have to keep that in mind. So how is vampireprotector coming along. Can you select from RIchter and Hanz belmont? or others?

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 11:01:44 AM »
Fantastic work i like how its look, You and your team are doing a good work

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 11:25:36 AM »
Much better Las, now your project has a distinctiveness about it. While I think, it would be cool to merge all the projects into 1 full game, realistically too many factors probably will stop that from happening. Different vision, using different software, (remember Warmachine is making his version of CV3 with MMF2) etc. not too mention Jorge stopped on his project looong ago and I don't know if he is so fancy about completing it anytime soon. (Not that I am speaking for him or anything.)

I'll speak on my behalf. :P
My problem is that no one who knows C++ is either able or willing to work with my previous programmer's code.  It's a classic case of taking up someone else's project and either not wanting to work with what's already available, or wanting to create the whole thing from scratch.

But I never 'stopped' working on it.  I have all my tilesets and continued to work on characters and enemies after the programmer stopped.  But without someone to pick it up AS IS, I'm kinda stuck.  As one can see from the numerous projects here, everyone wants to do their own thing, whether with another set of programming tools, or with their own artistic direction, or their own personal spin on the tale.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 12:48:34 PM »
Couldn't help but notice that you really did not show much of Alucard "combat wise".

Are you not finished with him?

And one major question I have is, will he have his SWORD in this game?

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 04:46:43 PM »
Thanks for the comments. Ah for the most part i probably showed trevor and sypha. Reason being is sypha's hood version artwork has been tweaked further. Her attack is now two handed from behind her like the nes version. I may tweak her jump later. Also here stairs animations and her stance have been tweaked further. Alucard on the other hand is pretty complete. However we do have plans to go and make an alternate version of him CV3 nes style. So his main attack will be the 1,2 or3 way shot. I have to sit down and look at code at some point to see if i can't make that happen. We'll more than likely have 2 version. One to start the game and another unlockable. As well for all the skins. Hair version sypha will be an unlockable. Hoody would start. We are trying to stick more to an original feel with extra added features and factors. Some are secrets we really can't mention too much at this time. Alucard's starting version is up for debate, but at least two of the members feel that the version without the sword would make the start when coded in. I myself am leaning towards that aswell. Still unsure though. As for that things will pretty much stay the same for trevor,grant and sypha. Sypha thought without the apply to have a power up to her main rod weapon, is already a powerhouse with her sub item attacks. No need to enhance her further. As for Trevor he has alot elude moves and 8 way whipping,plus duck crawling. So he's not only strong and elusive but deadly with the whip. As for grant he's teh one character that is very weak defensively and pretty much has nothing other than climbing and his sub weapons to help him out. His knife and pirate sword are pretty weak and so isn't the range on them. His sub weapons are decent in strength though. The best way i've found to use grant when attacking enemies is on walls or ceilings where he has an unlimited supply of throwing knives(very pirate esk). This helps him greatly but it's debatable wether or not this is enough. His offense and defense both suffer greatly,but he does also make up for it in terms of speed. He's by far the fastest of the 4. He's also shorter and a smaller target to hit. Keep that in mind.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:48:25 PM by Las »

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 05:11:59 PM »
However we do have plans to go and make an alternate version of him CV3 nes style. So his main attack will be the 1,2 or3 way shot.

Well I must admit that I'm disappointed after hearing this.

Seeing Trevor all updated with his powerful directional whip and only having Alucard reduced to his 3 fireball attack seems unfair to me.

When I saw this project I was hoping something along the lines of this would be Alucard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLBhuoV3mQs

Having Trevor so versatile and updated with his directional whip,length of attack,evading backflip,and attack power and then having Alucard be limited from a fast and directional sword to only having his 3 fireball attack seems wrong to me.

It was one of the problems with the original which was that Alucard's only form of attack really could not compare to the other characters and now with this project it seems it will be brought back.

Each character should have traits that put them above the other as a way to balance them out and make players want to play as them, but so far Trevor seems to be the best by a large margin if you ask me.

give him sub weapons and he has the range,
give him whip powerups and he has the power
give him directional whipping and his has the precision
give him a backflip and he has the dodge

He pretty much is just all around better than the other characters if you ask me.

Hope you don't take this the wrong way, just my opinion on the project is all.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 05:15:16 PM by DarkPrinceAlucard »

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 06:56:06 PM »
Well it's hard to say right now. But eithr way you'll be able to get a taste of old CV3 style and a  newer sotn style. The only issue is selecting which starts and which is to be unlocked. the other issues is coding the other version in. Maybe flip flop code i dunno. I'm not very skilled at coding atm. I'm able to figure stuff out mesh/mix things but it's a learning process and not easy when levels,art, needs to be built. With that being said it'll be up to the team to decide but your vote could curve the decision making process. If anything the old school cv3 nes version would need the double jump taken out. In all honesty i like the double jump but it's way too much of a handy cap. IT makes things rather easy for alucard. His speed is already up their near grant's and he jumps as high regularly. Maybe his perks need to be toned down. But it will probably be for one version. I'd be more concerned about the offensive/defensive power of grant. He dies rather easily if your not careful with him.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 10:08:58 PM »
Yeah i really can't comment much on anyone's game to be honest. As i'm not technically involved with the other project. I know what you mean about vision, but with that being said it's possible to take the best pieces of anyone or everyon'es game and merge them. Ideas in the eyes of the beholder but it would take alot to make something like that happen, i do understand. With that being said our team is still moving forward and making pretty good progress. Several bosses are done or nearing completion, several have not yet been coded. The 3d objects i'm talking about include at the very least a handful of things. Primarily backgrounds. In the first level houses, Mainly the ones that are blue or brown probably. You know how those houses are in Olrox's level in SOTN. 3d background objects. Plans to make a 3d waterfall in the atlantis or moat(perhaps)have been discussed. Also a 3d windmill(somehow moving if possible). I'd like to make  a Mill in room 4 3d aswell with a pulley bucket system. Also a 3d barn in teh swamp stage right at the beggining. Their are several other ideas aswell. In the moat level for a backdrop i woudln't mind constructing some 3d mountain ranges or perhaps leave that for the mountain range level itself. Also we may.....not sure yet add 3d style lava in either the mountain side level, catacombs, or a secret area. Just a few ideas that could be implemented. I personally do not wanna overdue certain areas either. So i have to keep that in mind. So how is vampireprotector coming along. Can you select from RIchter and Hanz belmont? or others?
Well "Vamprotector" is on standby at the moment. That's partly why Warmachine is starting a side project. I am 9 classes  away from graduating in Video Game Art and Design and I am also working full time on PlanetSide 2 so I have like 0 time for anything else at the moment. I dabble here and there on the forum, but right now I am swamped. The project is still for sure on, right now I am just waiting on a break so I can get back to things! Thanks for asking! I'll be keeping a eye on your project as well for sure!

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 03:48:04 PM »
Well that's cool hopefully you graduate soon and are back on it and eventually complete your game.  Boy i've got problems of my own. Sorry to adress bad news to anyone and everyone about SCV3 project. But it just hit a snag.I am having issues when i save the source code now. It says this:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Other Event: Game Start
for object MrD:

Error defining an external function.
Their are only a small number of things i could think may be wrong. Not sure on any of them.
-When i build rooms i use sheets no tiles(don't know if size has somethign to do with loading issues)
-At one point i had a virus,but was able to save my data when i restored. Everything did seem fine with the engine for a while but then the above happened. Don't know if it's an issue or not. Though if it were i doubt i'd be able to run teh game.
-Also when i load some larger sheets in, if i do it all at once i get this reslut. Sometimes if i do it one by one it's ok. Just not sure if some sprites strips have too many animations.
-Also i do have various effects from other tutorial engines i've been adding to it. Maybe they are causing issues idk.
-don't know if any of the plug-ins are screwy either.

Well i posted this at yoyo forums. Hopefully someone can view the source and tell me what the hell is going on. I just finished 1 and started 2 more rooms for the moat bridge level. But that will be on hold until this is taken care of...hopefully. i think MrD's is the healthsystem. But it contains other stuff too.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:49:53 PM by Las »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 02:24:35 PM »
Well that's cool hopefully you graduate soon and are back on it and eventually complete your game.  Boy i've got problems of my own. Sorry to adress bad news to anyone and everyone about SCV3 project. But it just hit a snag.I am having issues when i save the source code now. It says this:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Other Event: Game Start
for object MrD:

Error defining an external function.
Their are only a small number of things i could think may be wrong. Not sure on any of them.
-When i build rooms i use sheets no tiles(don't know if size has somethign to do with loading issues)
-At one point i had a virus,but was able to save my data when i restored. Everything did seem fine with the engine for a while but then the above happened. Don't know if it's an issue or not. Though if it were i doubt i'd be able to run teh game.
-Also when i load some larger sheets in, if i do it all at once i get this reslut. Sometimes if i do it one by one it's ok. Just not sure if some sprites strips have too many animations.
-Also i do have various effects from other tutorial engines i've been adding to it. Maybe they are causing issues idk.
-don't know if any of the plug-ins are screwy either.

Well i posted this at yoyo forums. Hopefully someone can view the source and tell me what the hell is going on. I just finished 1 and started 2 more rooms for the moat bridge level. But that will be on hold until this is taken care of...hopefully. i think MrD's is the healthsystem. But it contains other stuff too.

Any progress or word?

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 02:42:07 PM »
Im curious about that too.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 04:18:19 PM »
Oh yep! Sorry to not repost i figured out the issue. Seems that when you load really big pictures or animtions with mega amount of frames it seems to crash and give me that error. I had inserted the lava flowing from sotn to test out in an area but i can't seem to get the engine running with it in the engine. I am hoping that either i can find out a way to code stuff like that(it will take time of course) or find a possible easier solution by making them external sprites loaded by the engine. But then again i don't know if i'll run into the same problem. I am also seemingly having some other issues. From time to time but only once during gameplay i get this jilt glitch but then the game runs fine. I have a funny feeling it has to do with the music. Also because i had that error i mentioned early i switched from making rooms actual full tiles and started using tilesets again. But now they are causing slow downs in certain areas especailly if i use tiles from various tilesets in a room. It seems to be picky like it only wants tiles from one tileset. I have to go back and do several rooms over again. Plus the loading time for the game is a bit slower. I have a feeling thier is a way to tweak things better with code so i don't have to waste so much time redoing certain rooms and stuff like that. But i'm not very experienced with coding. And to be honest it seems very hard to find continous code help. I sit down from time to time to learn this or that and try and code stuff in but my skills are extremely lacking at this point. Since that error though i've down about 3 levels all wip of course. Sunken City(cv3 style),doppleganger stage(inner hall area), and now i'm working on the dungeon(frankenstiens' other level). I've posted to people on yoyo forums for code help but i have gotten a bunch of run arounds and literally no help yet. I may try team requests to see if that works otherwise i will have to learn to code the rest of the game in myself. That will take time. Btw i still haven't even had a response back at yoyo forums for that error. I am seriously starting to wonder if i get stuck will i seriously find a workaround?

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 01:38:18 PM »
Just so you know, Obreck works on Mugen characters now. He went MIA on my game too a few years back. That guy is a deserter and doesn't even have the common decency to let anyone know either.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Tags: