Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Super Castlevania 3 Project--Progress Report  (Read 188944 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Super Castlevania 3 Project--Progress Report
« Reply #285 on: May 27, 2014, 12:52:29 AM »
Question. Are you using a 3D program to animate the doors? And if so, is it taxing on your engine?
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheRetroArtist

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #286 on: May 27, 2014, 04:23:42 AM »
+1
Question. Are you using a 3D program to animate the doors? And if so, is it taxing on your engine?

All the door animations are used with sprites. Though I think it would be kind of cool to have them in 3d, but that isn't really high priority at the moment lol. And if anything is eating up space in the engine I would say it's the sotn lava. I just need to find a way to have it coded instead.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #287 on: May 27, 2014, 10:14:27 AM »
So the doors are sprites like I thought. If they were otherwise then I could see them eating up just that much more of the engin's power. You know... If you're having a problem with trying to recreate the lava from SotN then why not do an alternative? There's a nice pool of lava in the game Donky Kong Country 2. I think it would work really well. Especially since lava is not transparent which is what we can see in SotN. It would also cut down on the engine more leaving room for other things.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheRetroArtist

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #288 on: May 27, 2014, 01:13:41 PM »
+1
You know... If you're having a problem with trying to recreate the lava from SotN then why not do an alternative? There's a nice pool of lava in the game Donky Kong Country 2. I think it would work really well. Especially since lava is not transparent which is what we can see in SotN. It would also cut down on the engine more leaving room for other things.

You know I actually wouldn't mind doing that. Though I would have to talk to Las about it first. I don't if he would agree to that or not but I'll let him know.

Offline reiko26

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #289 on: May 27, 2014, 10:11:22 PM »
Yeah if we could actually figure out how to code the lava vs sprite animations, dude, that would save us alot of room in the engine. plus the door even though its not thst many frames animation, would actually look better and much smoother if we figured out how to do it the 3d primitive way. we'll get it soon though. we got this project jumping. we got this lol real talk. @ Las, you are doing a great job with creativity.

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #290 on: May 28, 2014, 04:13:50 PM »
Ok so here it goes as of late..I have read about the lava..from dk...i happened to think it's a bit plain..doesnt really move aroiund at all..other than the bubbles which seem to be more suited for swamps. It gave me an idea..to possible add in popping big bubbles..but retro mention to add in sotn ones aswell..i coudl do the same with mud in swamps.. If anything dos has nicer lava ..impossible to duplicate without the use of code.. And yeah sotn lava..is very awesome..but it would be better to be coded..than sprties.. In all hoenst..i had to take out the waves..sadly..but it still operates nicely..i cut down the frames from 154..to 18..and it still seems reasonable.. sadly there is some slow down by cerberus room..and i have no idea why..
Further more i keep having to toggel with external errors..as i've tried now to put a bone bridge in geodes(which is coming along) and snidrs w3d code.. Further more i realize some tiles have inadvertently gone out of place...in the warakiya village..so i'll have to refix that aswell. The castle door for coutyard is now code and working perfectly..Retro said he'll be getting ot the drawbridge..and the skeleton ninjas's death is now fixed aswell..

Honestly..im pretty impressed so far with what i've been able to pull of on the geodes...i have to be carefull cause it can produce errors if too many objects are in the rooms.. So long as i can get it working..with no unexpected error(which unlike external errors will not allow you to run the game at all), i will be ok.. The rooms are much wider and larger..there is a reason for this..one i can't mention atm.and wont show in the vids when i do show them off.. Just have to tell you to use your imagination.. Soon hopefully they'll be more to show off..

Also..between Retro and i we have been discussing some possibilties..of non-repeat level songs.. More over...for some specific areas..we have picked out 3 new tunes...for 3 differnt stages that have repeat music. Not sure if i wanna spoil that..also Reiko if you wanna pm us to find out and see if your cool with it..than we'll keep them. But so far Retro and i agree completely on teh 3 selected..and they seem very fitting too..
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 04:54:31 PM by Las »

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #291 on: May 29, 2014, 08:54:29 AM »
I could animate some custom bigger doors for you guys if you need them.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #292 on: May 29, 2014, 05:27:22 PM »
If by the ones in the keep going into drac's room(like right past the piano)..then sure..i was planning on having that animted anyways..i may adapt the colors to fit the room tone though..

Offline reiko26

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #293 on: May 29, 2014, 07:43:50 PM »
Yes most definately we could use an animated door.  and Las yes, im ok with you and retro changing those three tracks for those levels. i know that it you 2 agreed on it, then they must be a good selection of themes. good job guys. Team work, thats whst Im talking about :D.

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #294 on: May 29, 2014, 10:33:06 PM »
ok sounds good! They fit well..did he tell you..if not i'll can tell you later..

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #295 on: June 01, 2014, 07:52:08 PM »
Well this is just me messing around with some primitive ideas. Retro i conjured up adding in some floating cinder ashes and stuff. I dont wanna oversaturate the level like drac x..but show it is a town in ruin more or less. I may eventually add other things like a dead corpse with birds pecking it.. That should be too hard to code. As for now..i have this..but keep in mind it's using w3d snidr fake 3d..and clearly i have work to do on it to get in nice. I really wanna figure out his zdepth..i think it can totally help with making it look like it's back a bit..and so the lip of the house/railings are on the surface and not overlapping it and hanging over it.. I have to be carefull too with flames..cause if i add to much stuff the fake primitives turn all white..which looks like a big mess up. So i have to be rather careful. Anyways..figure i'd show this..while we work towards finishing the geodes and retweaking the village a tad. Then it's off to alucard's cave for a revamp..  Enjoy for now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7rrxJYuP8M&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:12:29 PM by Las »

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #296 on: June 02, 2014, 09:43:37 AM »
The houses need to be moved to the background. Some foreground primitives would be good covering the player at times. I also don't like the lightning. Couldn't you make it not turn the Character and the enemies white when it flashes?
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline reiko26

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #297 on: June 02, 2014, 09:59:46 AM »
+1
Kool 3d fx but they look out of place anda little low. they need to be set back. bc the way they set, it looks like youd run throgh the side of the building. but somehow ends up in the front of the building. other than that fix, great job laslund lazaro. Kudos

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #298 on: June 02, 2014, 11:22:33 AM »
Yeah 3d prims are tricky..and to be honest..until i put it in a room ..i didnt know just how tricky. But yeah..i hear you guys..they shoudl be moved back..Retro advised we do so and i think he's got a good point. Also the lighting..well if done corrclty it would problaby show everything turning whit-ish.....the problems is the rooms are tiled..piece by piece.. I dont ususally do this but it saves space in the engine. Mad forest and Swamps coudl be tiled piece by piece.. Sometiems though this causes slow down.. not sure why. But i have to be carefull..with this lighting effect it does cause slow down in room 4 and 5 sadly..not much but you can sorta notice. At any rate..i do think that soon i may instead use objects..which should show the lighting crashes.. Overall i do think level 1 needs revamping..but i have to strategize on it..it may take a bit of time to get it right.> Not sure on the players or the enemsis if they will turn white when lighting flashes..i may all have to do with depths.. I think changing their depths now maybe problematic in other stages..as you dont want teh player to be behind everything in soem stages..all sorta depends really.. IF there is a better lighting/effect out their..i'd try it..i did think this was the most realistic of all the ones i had found..

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #299 on: June 02, 2014, 12:19:14 PM »
Hey guys..not much at all has changed here with the clocktower. Just wanting to show off the y parrellexing backgrounds for i believe it is, room 1 and 8.

SCV3 Clocktower Y parrellex backgrounds added

Tags: