Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Super Castlevania 3 Project--Progress Report  (Read 188984 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Super Castlevania 3 Project--Progress Report
« Reply #315 on: September 12, 2014, 12:40:45 AM »
Awesome sprite! Just remember that the mouths only open when they try to vomit on Trevor  :P
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #316 on: September 12, 2014, 08:02:47 AM »
This is what I recorder I was busy this days

Super Castlevania 3 Cave

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #317 on: September 13, 2014, 07:02:17 AM »
This is what I recorder I was busy this days

Super Castlevania 3 Cave

Loving the new look of the Super Castlevania 4 inspired stage, but I am so sick of seeing all those SOTN sprites being reused especially the enemies.

The quality of animation for that game is so high when used in conjunction with other spritework that is not up to par it looks very out of place. You should try to tone that down.

Your game had this particular look to it at the beginning to it that was really cool looking with all the custom spritework I am afraid with all those revisions and adjustments you are making to things that is getting lost in translation.

The level design however is looking good. I don't know about the pacing you have for this stage though especially that crumbling bridge part, kinda fast for a CV game don't you think?

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline the_truth

• Like it or not... the truth still is what it is!
  • Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #318 on: September 13, 2014, 10:21:25 AM »
I love that this game looks fast paced Las! A problem CV has had for the longest is that it still moved at a slow, steady pace like it did in the nes days. And it just doesn't work anymore. The touhouvanias move at about the same fast pace as your game, and its part of the reason why so many more people enjoyed them, and they got so much attention! It just makes things much more exciting!

Your gfx do look like a mish mash of stuff; but so does every other remake on here, including the other CV3 one, so I wouldn't stress it. Looks like it is going to be a fun game!

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #319 on: September 13, 2014, 10:45:28 AM »
hm...yeah the drac form 2 maybe a bit tricky to pull off that way. I'll see what can be done.

As for the Geodes level believe it or not it was more loosely based upon, Aos caves and Sotn caves. Primarily the
areas with waterfalls and geodes. The bridges i feltl helped expand the level a bit an add more of what could be found inside of a deep dark caverns. As it is currently i am trying to do away with doors in teh caves..seeing how i've never heard of a cave with doors. I actually planned to add open and closing skulls heads to some areas of the doorways..onese you have hit some swithc to make it open or perhaps backslide to get through. You'll see a little more of what i'm talking about when Jop shoots the next vid.

The fact that Geodes very remniscent of the old level but at the same time having added new stuff to it, means that i'm not only trying to remake the levels but revamp as well.  Keep in mind with this levels i am really not done doing what i intended to do with it. there is actually something else planned for it. I really can't say what..or i'll give too much info away. So i wont.

And yeah i totally agree with the fast paced thingy. I mean..the old nes games seemed very slow in nature. And the newer games got the more realistic and faster paced they got too. Sotn is a solid example. Rondo isnt bad either. Even when compared to SCv4, the original Cv3 was pretty slow. I'd have to agree their.

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #320 on: September 13, 2014, 11:29:17 AM »
I pretty much agree with the above about the vid. It is fast-paced which doesn't fit for a CV III remake. If it's going to be fast-paced then a redesign of the whole game in order to match the speed of the characters would have to be done. My only real issue is Trevor sporting a tailcoat when he wore no such thing in CV III. But that's just me  :)
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #321 on: September 13, 2014, 12:28:16 PM »
My only real issue is Trevor sporting a tailcoat when he wore no such thing in CV III. But that's just me  :)

About that its only if you want to use it, you can use the Oiginal Trevor, the version in the video is for the fans of LoS but We are still in discussion if use or not use, I think its okey.

Offline eryson

• The Fangaems Connoisseur
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: DraculaXX (SNES)
« Reply #322 on: September 13, 2014, 01:53:56 PM »
About that its only if you want to use it, you can use the Oiginal Trevor, the version in the video is for the fans of LoS but We are still in discussion if use or not use, I think its okey.

This Sprite is really good, you should make it as an unlockable, as well the Sypha and alucard skins, which you can select in the "options" menu or before start an new game.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #323 on: September 13, 2014, 10:43:26 PM »
Alternate unlockable costumes sounds like a good idea for replay value. I'd say go for it! Shame they didn't have any for Judgement  :P

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #324 on: September 14, 2014, 11:56:59 AM »
It may appear a bit fast, and once the mainstay of the code/game is completed, we'll be going back to make tweaks to the speeds of characters. Namely alucard and possiby grant. Though grant will remain the fastest, and alucard second fastest. THe problem is that they are bit too fast in general at this rate. I dont think the game, as it stands a remake, should be slow in nature. That is the 8 bit look, the 16 bit games with the exeption of SCV4 were and still are much faster. If anything this remake is very much mirrored around that. We do plan to revamp areas..maybe some extra enemies..but we do wanna keep the game looking very much like the original. As much as it possibly can. Keep in mind that the original had areas..that may not have made too much sense now than it would have back then(in 8 bit). Obviously it's easy to see that the inner halls and courtyard levels names could have easily been swapped. And that repeat bosses leave you guessing why did i just kill a boss and have to refight it?

Also notice we renamed the 2nd forest area(Mad Woodlands as opposed to Mad forest...so as to distinguish the two areas)So surely their will be some changes..if you are looking for a direct remake...well we can't promise that.. A rehancement and as close a cannon version as possible yes.

As for the skins and unlockables..yes,that is exaclty what jop, myself and whoever is willing to join us are looking to do. And yeah i really think Jop did a great job on that skin. We'll defintly have unlockable skins. Though he has shown MoF trevor,,and we've shown others in vids...we are not really willing to reveal too much more. The game will still have it's secrets. So do plan on that. We'll post more completed stuff that we have when available.

Offline eryson

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #325 on: September 14, 2014, 04:35:55 PM »
I essentially dont care if the final product will be different of the original. the new connection areas is just great, as well the new bosses.To me, this game dont need to be totally faithful with the original, because its an remake, right?

I know the guys are working very hard in this game, and i'm liking the way wath this game is taking. Just keep great.

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #326 on: September 16, 2014, 07:23:16 PM »
Thanks Eryson! Yeah it's been challenging at times,especially when while reworking areas. Never knowing the limitations of the engine is tough. We've got alot of great code help along the way,but we're still looking to do more with it. I still plan to retweak some stuff, and i'm talking now with one coder on how to use less sprites where they could be coded in stuff. It's tricky cause i'm using an older engine, and because i have no idea how to convert it yet, it remains to be seen what it's limits are. However if i can find help converting(when the levels are complete) it should become a whole lot easier for eye candy effects. I already have some really nice shaders for studio(water reflection..shifts while moving,waterfall distortion, and hopefully other things). I am looking into the cloud generator atm. Also snidr, has rehelped more on the chapel which now contains 2 walls,floor,ceiling, and backwall. I showed Jop and he was impressed. So yeah things are coming along. I will of course show progress when there is more to show, that wont give away too much. And yeah i think a pretty faithful remake, with a twist of something here or their won't be too bad. I'm certianly enjoying the progress! Cool feel free to chat about the game anytime!

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #327 on: September 22, 2014, 10:52:06 PM »
Yeah..actually we could use some beta testers. Reiko was going to help out but became to busy with other things. So yeah ...i problaby will need to finish up a couple levels..before hand though..i'm revamping. After that i'd be more than happy to have you test the game..and help find all the nuances..I've got some work ahead of me for sure on that deparment. I'll have to hit you up when these 2 next levels are squared away. Also..by chance if you know of any gml(game maker language) coders please have them drop on by. We could surely use any help. Jus throwing it out thier.Thanks!

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #328 on: September 25, 2014, 08:47:33 AM »

Offline eryson

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #329 on: September 25, 2014, 09:59:49 AM »
+1
Well, this Stage isnt bad at all, i liked it, but i think that old Version of Alucard caves is really better, because is more faithful with the original...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRMo7B3AOAo

Why you dont put it as an alternate route (if possible?)

Tags:

anything