Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Super Castlevania 3 Project--Progress Report  (Read 188992 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Super Castlevania 3 Project--Progress Report
« Reply #330 on: September 25, 2014, 12:33:38 PM »
Another video, enjoy:

Super Castlevania 3 Alucard´s cave

What is that annoying sound constantly?

Well, this Stage isnt bad at all, i liked it, but i think that old Version of Alucard caves is really better, because is more faithful with the original...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRMo7B3AOAo

Why you dont put it as an alternate route (if possible?)

That's actually a good idea. Since you already made earlier versions of most of your stages maybe you could do something like alternate stages on the 2nd replay once you beat the game...?

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline eryson

• The Fangaems Connoisseur
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: DraculaXX (SNES)
« Reply #331 on: September 25, 2014, 03:20:01 PM »
What is that annoying sound constantly?

Its that burning guy  ;) the sound of the flames is unfavorably loud in this video :-X

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #332 on: September 25, 2014, 03:32:58 PM »
@darkman
The annnoying sound? i dunno..sadly i cant' hear the video at all..cause firefox browser for me somehow got screwed up. i can't hear any sound from any youtube videos sadly. I tried to uninstall and re-install..but no luck. Maybe i'd have to upgrade or perhaps it got screwy somehow. If anything i coudl do a restore that'd work. But yeah for now im' a bit busy with the game. Hard to say what sound you are talking about. It's possible it could be the flame man's fire sound or possibly mummyan's bandage. I just have to mess with the code for the sounds. For some reasons if they are out of the screen they still play the sounds..Retro i think fixed this with one of the enemies. Not sure which though.

@eryson
As for alucard's old cave..sadly i dont think i'll keep it. I'd like to..with teh alternate thing...but it has too do with room contraints in the game.If everything is said and done and theirs still room..i coudl see adding in more caves(alternate route like the old tiles..but it woudl be like a secret passage maybe..not the same exact level.).Also the old level was just way too confined.. The original nes version is nice..but it's crammed..and i can't imagine these caverns to be too crammed.  The only thing i may do..is fiddle with the colors of the level..and possibly keep the main cave tiles the same color as the old version(or possibly darken them). I like the old version..but i think this is far better. It has more complete feel to it for me. The only thing i think the old version had was it's similarities to the original..and looked more like a cave..but..sadly..alot of it looked cut and pasted..where as this cave tiles..are sorta strategically placed..same with the size of the rooms. Now it's way easier to move around. I jsut added some extra baddies for toughness. I still play it and it feels like aluacards cave..but jsut a much larger version. This is one of few levels i think needed a resize..not only from the old version we had..but from the original. It was smaller than the geodes bascially..so i was like..no it cant be. Now if only i got that damn reflective water working. I knkow what to do..just dont know if i have room in the engine...Unless i figure out a way to make reflective code work for parrlelexing backgrounds.. Sadly it only reflects stationary backgrounds or tiles. I'm trying to contact the creator of the effect to see if there is somethign i can do..so i dont have to keep adding objects/sprites to the engine. It's pretty packed so far..  It's one reason i wanna add in coded effects. IT'll save space in teh engine.

@darkman again..if i am albe to convert our game..it's possible more room is possible..allowing for more lelves and stuff like that..all sorta depends. I woudlnt mind attempting alernate verisons of level..only some though..I know what you guys are headed..i like the idea..but it would take a massive amount of mb in the engine..Like a Modern version adn a classic version> Defintly digging the idea..not sure how much i could redo though....

@eryson again...i think it's possible it's him..if not than mummy man.. It has to do with gremlin code..i took it's fire code and ported it to flame man code. So yeah if it is him..i'll have to at some poitn make adjustment to him.

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #333 on: October 04, 2014, 07:01:11 AM »
Hey guys here with a small update. Instead of having to use sprites, now the Snidr has made a perfect cloud effect like that of sotn castlkeep. This will cut down on size in the engine. Ignor the fact the clouds are in the mountains( as i will shift the animation so it fits to be above the mountains, and also eventually i will make the animated water so the image is slowed. The intent here was merely to show off the effect.

SCV3 real coded cloud effect
Supe Castlevania 3 Fan game_actual real cloud effect coded by Snidr!!

Offline eryson

• The Fangaems Connoisseur
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: DraculaXX (SNES)
« Reply #334 on: October 04, 2014, 09:40:34 AM »
Its a beautiful efect, even in WIP state! Now you can use the extra space in the engine to add more stuff!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #335 on: October 04, 2014, 10:11:58 AM »
That effect rocks! My only suggestion would be to slow it down somewhat. It's moving way too fast for the viewer to take in the fullness of the effect. The effect in SotN didn't move all that fast so you could probably use that speed as well.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline reiko26

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #336 on: October 05, 2014, 09:49:14 PM »
Looks good Las. Keep it up. How much do you have to go my man? Oh plus I need the update.

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #337 on: October 09, 2014, 07:16:17 PM »
hey rieko thanks, yeah i gotta be honest..it's still got a long way to go.. if anything i really need to sit down and code. If anything i definetly have got to do that. I have been through asking 40+ coders and still  no luck. So with that being that case..i have no idea if i should still try my luck on yoyo and other places. I  think it's best i just learn it myself. Glad to have gotten some nice effects in their..but yeah theirs alot still to rework. IF you decide to come back defintly let me know. IF you find any code help at all that too. It'd be defintly aprpeacited..
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:22:05 PM by Las »

Offline reiko26

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #338 on: October 14, 2014, 12:36:20 AM »
Well, this Stage isnt bad at all, i liked it, but i think that old Version of Alucard caves is really better, because is more faithful with the original...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRMo7B3AOAo

Why you dont put it as an alternate route (if possible?)

I agree 100% that the old was waaaaaay better than this version of the level. I'm not feeling that at all. It lost its sense of identity. You had it right the first time.

Offline reiko26

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #339 on: October 14, 2014, 12:45:24 AM »
@ dude I've been back. There just isn't nothing more for me to do but to give insight anddirect so that the project moves fforward in a positive direction. I feel that for the most part the levels are fine. Fine tuning a level that's already fine will destroy it. We also can't go overboard and it in everything that comes to mind. That's what holds the project up. There has to come a time when enough is enough and be content with it. I'm just being real. so with that being said, I want to move this project forward and do what's right with the project. Give the fans the remake they've asked for. I don't want to deliver a butchered up version. Fans know what they like. I personally love the original and Jorge had a excellent version. Sadly it didn't make it. :'( my design and vision is and was to make the perfect remake but it appears that the vision had been scattered far out. Let's pull it back into the light. It . Once again I'm just being the realist that I am.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #340 on: October 14, 2014, 07:18:08 AM »
The first one is more faithful, but this new one seems to be a reimagination of it if it was bigger. Since it holds "Super" in the title, like Super Castlevania IV did, I can understand why you prefer to follow this way.

The problem is that its very SOTN-ish in stage design, with almost none dangerous jumps and pits, this way it loses its charm. Also because you almost only walk, without platforming, it feels empty IDK why  :-\

Sorry if it sounds harsh but Im being honest, this redesign isnt totally bad, you really upgraded the stage visually, but it came with these problems.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #341 on: October 14, 2014, 03:12:37 PM »
The first one is more faithful, but this new one seems to be a reimagination of it if it was bigger. Since it holds "Super" in the title, like Super Castlevania IV did, I can understand why you prefer to follow this way.

The problem is that its very SOTN-ish in stage design, with almost none dangerous jumps and pits, this way it loses its charm. Also because you almost only walk, without platforming, it feels empty IDK why  :-\

Sorry if it sounds harsh but Im being honest, this redesign isnt totally bad, you really upgraded the stage visually, but it came with these problems.

I mentioned that too about the SOTN-ish design. The game seems to lose the identity and individuality it had before. I do like that additions of the cave crystals and stuff like that, but like I mentioned before the bar for those SOTN sprites are so high everything around it has to match and when it doesn't it shows.  Just because those sprites look good don't make them look right.

I didn't even think of the lack of chasms and such. That's a great point!

Maybe you guys should start posting your maps for stages before they are in engine for critique on the thread? I mean it shouldn't really hurt things. I did that for Vamprotector and made changes that people suggested and it helped fix things alot in regards to stage design.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #342 on: October 14, 2014, 07:31:28 PM »
Ok i've read comments here pertaining to the 2 caves(geode and alucard caves):

Ok to start off with. i will go over my basis for the decsions on both Geode's caves and Alucards' caves seperately.

Geodes

Well to begin..the older level just never fully did it for me.. In terms of size, plainess of backgrounds..and lack of things going on. This newer version..shockingly i though would be more appealing. I added in flickering geodes, a crystal cavern areas, and some bridge to help with some originalilty. The level was also way to small like alucard's cave which i'll hit upon shortly. The addition of spreading otu the level(which originally was planned to be even bigger) made it so that some new enemies could be added(similary this was the case in al's cave too). Liek teh bosses in cv3 the enemeis are just too mcuh the same..not enough variety...so retro  and i had some nice idea with adding cave trolls and rock armo, also frozen shade. Obviously they are chosen for their appearence in cave levels in cv games. The bridges i though were neat..cause alot of tmes in real caversn you will see these crossing over gorge's or cliffs. Like in salt mines or geode caves. Furthermore Retro and i had some extra ideas planned but due to his departure out west, we werent able to make that happen. So i shot what i could have the level thus far..  In terms of size hieght the orignal wasbnt bad..but this version has alot more waterfalls and in generalli just think looks much nicer. I played the two version and dveifntly liked this much better. In essecne the overall color and scheme of the level is the same or near it. I did want to go back and pull out the bridge in front of the crystal cliff, cause i had some neat stuff planned..but yeah..theirs not much else here to say with this one.. Either way i coudlnt show off everythgn i wanted to..

ALucard's cave
Ok here, to start off with..and after i made it i said the same thing..so i will be changing the sheme to be not only darker but also possibley more grey and closer to the appearnce of the old one.  However....the size of the old ones was just ....alot smalelr than anticipated..and was seemingly after altering the geodes, not only have the size of that..but also about the sizeof molten caves. The old al caves was very crammed..  easier to get through and to me a skip,hop and jump to alucard boss. Also like geodes..when i found i could put in animated waterfalls and such..i decide to do that..but made it more cavern like in depth..which personaly i think you'd see more of that.. Too many backgrounds in the old dditn capture the depth well. If you noticed in this level their are many more backdrops. Also the old goonies styel ship the depth was horribly wrong on that..so i got rid of it..and put in this shipwrecked area.. ALucard' top room is the only room that is dffint in terms of appearence.. but not entirely uncanon. I just cut out the walls and made it look like an upper cave/cliff. perosnllay i think it looked far better than the first one i did. STill has the waterfalls too!  As for the other rooms..well i defintly went thoruhg and made damn sure that the rooms themselves were iddentical to the ones in cv3..with the execption of one thing...theyre alot bigger. And because it was so crammed before..now you can see more..and experiecne more. Also where you say their are less pifalls, their are exaclty the same as the original they are just not as visible due to the height and widght of the rooms. I did notice also the fact that if i let the areas have only the exact amoutn of enemies the original did..barring the upgrade in size..that the areas would be too long between enemies. WHich i kknow what your saying and furthermore may add in more. But to be honest..i had to say when i made alucards caves this time..it's is just far more fun, and spacious to play...also the challenge is probalby harder than the original i made..you can get p'owned by cave trolls,frozen shade, and rock armor if not careful. So yeah i wil change the schem defintly..but i just dont see going back to the old ones..i think you'd see the differnce..their just not as good imho..and way too short.  I also puposely did not include doors..as many times you will not see them(though not impossible), if anythng wwanted to add in some open and close skulls heads for the player to walk through..maybe they open automaticlaly or by a swtich..soemthign differnt.  I may consider reworking the levle a bit smaller to be like nes version or could alt back..but in all honesty..i feel it's rather dull in nature and personally not as good, canon yeah..but playabilty.not nearly as fun..

Summing it all up
While i see the need to keep these levels canon as reiko said.. i dont see the need for all the rooms to be small and crammed. Notie many newer games wont do this. I am doing my best to keep the game a faithful port, as you know these are not custom areas at all..BOth levels are the same as teh canon cv3 version(just bigger). I can see posibly color shcemes and keeping he game close in nature a priority. But sometimes keeping it the same means, dulling down the game..and where it is sometimes over dueing it..adn sometimes not doing enough..i think these two levels were closer to putting together real caverns that fit to the size of the game and its' niceness in backgrounds/level layout. The old levels just never fully flew with me..if for some way i can get them back in and find room for the game..then i would probaby do so(cant' promise this though).. Size constraints might make a differnce. Personally retro and i both liked the revamps, and in this case other than the color schemes of al's cave..i would say yeah i thnk they are pretty solid revamps tahta keep to being canon. Keep in mind they are not nessarily set in stone..Honestly..i did some heavy thinking before sitting down doing these levels..and honestly felt that these would be pretty favored revamped levels. Appearently that isnt necessarily the case.

As for falling of too far from the original..i'm not sure even if these 2 caveas are that far differnt.that it is destroying it's canonness. I play the levles and they still seem to me to fuly represent the 2 levels in the nes imo. Just alittle bigger and rewroked for realism.

Next on the plate
I am in the process of reworking Warkiaya village Overall playing the old version was better than the first attempt,but i felt.. still left much in the way of what i wanted to accomplish or actual ruins. So i am revamping a final time. Keep in mind heavily with level 1..some areas..i have not a clue what the hell they are supposed to represent..so i am merely keepin the mainstay of the level similar to the original..yet recreating some areas..so that it makes more sense to the viewer. I am not really altering any of he rooms..but i think you will see what i mean when i show Barring the 2 caves videos..i'm not so certain how i should revamp now..i just dont care fro the old warakiya as much as the newer concept im coming up with..same as teh caves.. I think it's possible playing the levels and wacthing in a vid are much different..   I am looking to enhacne the level and make it more of a ruins..I am not looking to overplaster it..wtih too many burning flames..and broken building..but to merely have it some distinction between a normal town and a town in seige. The original doenst exaclty looks like much of a town or ruins for the nes..but it's an nice levle none the less. I have already added in alot of interesting new stuff..i'm not sure i wanna spoil that with you just yet..but it is definetly differtn. The room sizes are bigger in general..not all..but it will still represent warakiay village.. With that..the only other level i could possibly see revampig would be the dungeon..adn i do think that it's pretty canon..but the SCV4 sprites are just so out of date looking.. I may keep it i may not..but i'd still base it the same way it was and not do much in terms of size..just various changeing of some tiles and dungeons more or less rms 1,2 or 3 of dungeon. I  liked the latter 2 rooms fine.

I am open to ideas on this..but honestly..it took a lot of work to get those two caves..with so much eye candy going on..im really not sure i agree with everyone and want to pull them apart again. The color scheme for al's cave is an easy fix and wont take much time..

Keep in mind..my goals are too keep the levels canon..but to enhance in areas i feel the need to enhance asweell. .This is not me stating the old caves arent more faithful to the nes..but we also arent talking about 8 bit players sizse and larger block either and realism.. Sometimes i am just trying to make more sense of what a level will look like in terms of reality too. Notice i took out the orange blocks in warakiay.. What is more real, the orange blocks or Ooe cobblestone tiles? That's really what i'm getting to with the cave levels. I apologize if it didnt fully hit base..but i certianly like them alot more personally. I think retro did too..but i did what i felt need to be done.

Also..i agree to a good amount with you on vampireprotector about taking suggestions and doing what other want for your game. Sometimes this can be a good thing as others may suggest something that maybe more enhancing or bring something to light a developr has missed. However in some cases..too many ideas by too many people may somewhat dissolutjion you from creating a level the way you envision it. I just saw alot of need to improve both caves for various reasons, though i agree with at least the schem of al's cave. Based on original reception of the levels earlier back on this thread page 4 adn 5 i believe. I really got no response that i could see on geodes, and i did get prett good response on als' caves..but it's exaclty fro some of the same reasons i enhanced which someone mentioned A) cavern needs more lighitng in it some areas n background would be lighter than others,B) some areas are empty(maybe i could even fill in more enemies though they are tough) and C) well i personally would not have reveamped especially a's caves if i did not thing it was too crammed. I really didnt like being able to almost see the bottomf ot eh screen from the top layer platofroms comning frome the uppper doors. The size for me..never really worked.. The shceme i can see changine. Apologizes for the long paragraphs words...lol 

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #343 on: October 14, 2014, 10:23:52 PM »
Sorry if you misunderstood me, I totally like the visual revamp, my only grip is that it seems to have less enemies and pits, when I say SOTN-ish I dont really mean the tile and sprite quality, I mean it seems more like a exploration game than a platforming one. I cant say if I like it or not yet, but it feels "different" xD

Even so its your game, thats only my opinion, thanks for taking your time and reading it :P

I know that maybe Rondo of Blood and Castlevania Chronicles could have these skulls that you want. A idea that I can give is do a system like in Aria of Sorrow, where is a part where you need to "not look" at the face to it open, so you need to backdash to enter it.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #344 on: October 21, 2014, 06:09:14 PM »
@ Legylax, if you are refering to the size of them well yeah they are a bit bigger in general at least the caves. Personally the other geodes and alucard's caves were just too small and the levels were over in two seconds..not much challenge.especially with th elack of enemies..unless i spawn mummies(which reminds me i have to do that). But yeah i agre al's cave shouuld looke darker and creepier, and the levels could be a bit smaller..i just dont think reverting back is a good idea..i mean the levels werent much to them. As if motlen lava stage is long. I dunno..i may not have goten teh best review on these two revamps but i have to be honest..i enjoy playing them alot and i think i had some really visuals with backgrounds in these levels. I feel the one thing i could do other than darkending al's caves(maybe color tone too) is taking out a couple bridges in geodes. I will probably fiddle with them further. And yeah i lik e the open close skull heads for doors instead of regular doors. If anything the ones in aria or chronicles looked neat.

Tags:

anything