Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: PSP recommendations  (Read 6619 times)

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 09:43:38 AM »
Metal Gear Acid and Metal Gear Acid 2 come highly recommended. I am generally not a huge fan of RPG or real-time strategy games, but these games were some of the most enjoyable games I've played in the last 15 years. They sort of exist in their own genre. They are still stealth-action games like the regular Metal Gear series, but they force you to manage your inventory and plan your movements more carefully than most Metal Gear games. (Ironically, in terms of tactics, they feel more like Metal Gear than something like Metal Gear Solid 4, in my opinion, and the only Metal Gear games I've enjoyed more than these are probably Solid 1 and Solid 2.) The first game is somewhat less "real time" and a little more cumbersome than the second, but it has a more intriguing story and traditional Metal Gear visual style. The second game starts to move a little closer to a regular Metal Gear game in how it controls, except the whole thing is done through the lens of a super over-the-top anime-esque game like Devil May Cry, both visually and story-wise. There's a learning curve to either one, for sure, but once you get used to it, it's a really fun and smart sub-series, and one of the most surprising and iconic experiences I had with the PSP.

Siphon Filter: Dark Mirror and Siphon Filter: Logan's Shadow are both really good action/stealth games. I've never played this series outside of these entries, but both were pretty acclaimed by their fanbase as I understand it. If I recall right, I found Dark Mirror to be more interesting and enjoyable, but Logan's Shadow was more ambitious.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker: Basically fleshes out some of the concepts from Portable Ops, but through the lens of something more akin to Snake Eater. It's really good, and probably more balanced on the whole, but I think I liked some aspects of the main Portable Ops game better.

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops +...if you want more of Portable Ops, this is like an expansion pack. Not fantastic, but not bad.

Killzone: Liberation. Only ever got around to the demo, but I liked what I played. Think Neo Contra, but more controlled.

Bomberman [PSP]: If you like Bomberman games, this is a solid entry with a lot of levels. Fairly basic, but good for what it is.

I've heard good things about the Pursuit Force series and the God of War entries, but never got around to them. If you like fighting games, there are a ton of them on this console that are really good, too, though...Oh, and there was a Resistance game made by the Siphon Filter people, I think. I wonder if that turned out good or not. Never followed up on it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 09:46:51 AM by RichterB »

Tags:

anything