Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Haunted Castle  (Read 70971 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2013, 04:32:04 PM »
Oh, of course. It's just a matter of deciding whether I want to use an actual splash sprite, or a series of particles. Or some combination of both, I'm not sure yet. That'll come along with implementing water physics, which I'm sure you've all noticed aren't there, either.

And Claimh, I'd definitely be interested. Right now what does exist of the plot is bare-bones at its best, so I would need some help down the road.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2013, 05:08:41 PM »
Awesome. I'd love to help out. It's been a while since I've done anything with the CV mythos so I wanna give it a go again.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2013, 05:35:19 PM »
Well, the only thing I kind of want set in stone is Dracula's motivation for kidnapping Serena to be partially fueled by his past as Mathias, and wanting to inflict that same pain on his enemy.

Problem is, the poor old bastard doesn't remember any of that, so getting that pain across isn't exactly a walk in the park.

The rest...I haven't quite gotten to yet.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2013, 05:38:48 PM »
Well, once you do, lemme know (PM me, I guess). With that and where you plan to place any dialogue, I'll be able to whip something up (pun not intended).
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2013, 05:47:42 PM »
+1
That pun was totally intended. Don't lie. ;)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2014, 07:00:55 PM »
+1
I guess I'm one of Zobek's followers now, woo.

Anyhow, still working on it, but like I said in another thread, I'm (begrudgingly, now) coding for a group, so time to work on this one is practically nonexistant.

Got the bomb done. Mostly.

That's my new favorite effect I've done. Who knew Nova Skeleton's blast discharge would work for a bomb so well?

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2014, 03:13:56 PM »
I guess I'm one of Zobek's followers now, woo.

Anyhow, still working on it, but like I said in another thread, I'm (begrudgingly, now) coding for a group, so time to work on this one is practically nonexistant.

Got the bomb done. Mostly.

That's my new favorite effect I've done. Who knew Nova Skeleton's blast discharge would work for a bomb so well?

Nice to see that this project is still alive...I was worried for a sec!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2014, 05:18:39 PM »
That bomb effect looks really good Dracula9! But does it have to take so long to explode?
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: April 12, 2014, 02:21:43 PM »
Because it has a fuse and is not C4, and the timing would kind of have to make you think about when to use it as opposed to simply getting an instant explosion.

It's gonna be able to blow up stage elements too, you know.

Little more proof I'm still working on it.
Videos you might like

EDIT: Whoops, I nearly forgot. Double-Jump and Funky Roll Thing (very strongly considering making that the in-game name just for a goof) are now disabled at the game's start and need to be acquired. Right now they can be unlocked with simple little floating orbs like in SotN, but I'm planning on making at least FRT a boss-defeated ability (and it'll be acquired from beating Medusa, since it seems fair that the snake chick gives you a somewhat-slithery roll ability, and also because it's a really basic move that naturally needs to be available early on).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 04:12:15 PM by Dracula9 »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2014, 04:58:47 PM »
Because it has a fuse and is not C4, and the timing would kind of have to make you think about when to use it as opposed to simply getting an instant explosion.

I was more 'n less pertaining it to the bomb used in the original Haunted Castle. That bomb also had a fuse but had a shorter countdown.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: April 12, 2014, 05:14:19 PM »
Oh, well, I can easily just tweak the animation and speed variable for that.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2014, 07:12:57 PM »

It's gonna be able to blow up stage elements too, you know.

Little more proof I'm still working on it.
Videos you might like

EDIT: Whoops, I nearly forgot. Double-Jump and Funky Roll Thing (very strongly considering making that the in-game name just for a goof) are now disabled at the game's start and need to be acquired. Right now they can be unlocked with simple little floating orbs like in SotN, but I'm planning on making at least FRT a boss-defeated ability (and it'll be acquired from beating Medusa, since it seems fair that the snake chick gives you a somewhat-slithery roll ability, and also because it's a really basic move that naturally needs to be available early on).

The gameplay looks solid Drac 9! I am loving the old school look and feel of the game!

Let me know if you need a beta tester! lol

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2014, 09:46:45 PM »
I don't quite need any right this second, but I will soon enough. I'll be sure to give you a call when that moment comes.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2014, 08:26:29 AM »
+1
That's looking great, dude!
I like that the video is not skipping any frames (it's nice and smooth) and that most, if not all of the animations and layouts are well-placed and rock-solid.

I don't really see anything sticking out of the norm, so keep on doing a great job. I think I saw a bone flying off of a skeleton in an odd trajectory (I think he threw it behind him or something?), but that's just about it.  Everything else looks great.  Can't wait to play it.

Holy crap those SpearSkeletons look tough!
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: April 15, 2014, 05:24:05 PM »
The backwards bone-toss was and is a bug in the skeleton's code, but I think it's funny, so I'm probably going to keep it in. It doesn't happen terribly often, usually just when you get within his throw range while he changes direction. It's not like it's terribly cheap or unfair, and I do have to at least TRY and replicate some degree of Haunted Castle's infamous difficulty. A similar occurrence, that I'm NOT removing, is that the unfinished Axe Armors (hence why they're not in the video) can catch and rethrow different Armor's axe.

And yes, the Bone Halberds are serious fucking business. Those bad boys can kill you quickly if you're not careful. So can the Bloody Zombies, given how fast their swipe is.

Also, Jorge, you wouldn't happen to have SotN's sounds dumped by any chance, would you? I need a few SFX (mainly Bloody Zombie's stuff and a couple other things like the Bone Halberd's spinning noise) that aren't in the package Serio gave me a while back, and there aren't any working ISOs of SotN I can rip them from. If I had the disc/money to buy the game it wouldn't be a thing, but sadly that's not the case.

I'm also going to send out an incomplete stage demo, if anyone's interested. All I really have to do is finish up a few other enemies and get Medusa done and the stage one beta's finished.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 05:29:53 PM by Dracula9 »

Tags:

anything