Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: IGN's "10" trigger finger  (Read 8471 times)

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
IGN's "10" trigger finger
« on: June 20, 2008, 03:43:32 PM »
Is it just me or has IGN.com been giving scores of "10" out like candy lately? Both MGS4 and GTA4. And this when previously it was so rare to get thtat score.

They claim it doesn't mean the game is perfect..

Pffffft! How the hell are you supposed to read "10/10" as!?

It's not just IGN. Game Informer gave MGS4 two "10s" from different editors. How far has this virus spread?

The gaming press industry scoring curve is so skewed and unstable between sites -- its become a laughable mess. How are we to take reviews seriously anymore if we can' grasp what the fuck the numbers mean anyway?

The skew makes it so that anything below a 7 is considered less than good and anything above 9 runs the gamut from good to great. Anything below 5 is considered garbage; that piles up on itself as the score gets lower.

Ridiculous. I don't know who to trust for a second opinion anymore.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 03:49:41 PM by A N T R A X X »

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 12:52:37 AM »
In Reply To #1

That is why i don't trust what the sites or games magazines are saying about games!! I only trust my self and have my own opinion after i play the game my self.

There are many times that the critic has told for many games that they suck, but when i tried them out my self, i found them from good to awesome!!

So, now you can't trust sites or games magazines or other press people to make decisions about a game, because now everything is all about marketing!! The old good days where reviewers they were making reviews because they like it, are gone. Now they have to do it because they have to do it or else they 'll lose their jobs!! To be more specific, it's all about money!!
Ruler of Chaos

Killerwhip

Re: IGN's "10" trigger finger
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 12:54:36 AM »
In Reply To #1

I don't check out IGN, but I have noticed GameInformer being a little too generous with their "perfect score".

Offline Alexc2808

• JerkofWonder
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 08:42:10 PM »
MGS4 is perfect.  Why do you have some kind of vendetta against it?  Two amazingly great games came out close to each other.  It is a crazy coincidence but it is hardly handing out 10's like candy.  That is just silly.
I am Jerkofwonder.

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 08:46:26 PM »
Last game I recall getting a perfect 10 was Bioshock, and before that, Twilight Princess.

Offline Alexc2808

• JerkofWonder
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
GTA and MGS4 both got 10's on gamespot and gamepro(i think) among others.
I am Jerkofwonder.

warfreak

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 08:27:33 AM »
I suppose there's a bandwagon of game reviewers...

Offline Alexc2808

• JerkofWonder
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 10:23:25 AM »
Or these games are just worthy of the 10 score.
As someone who as played a lot of both of them... I say the answer is a very clear yes, they are.
I am Jerkofwonder.

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 06:32:50 PM »
MGS4 deserves a perfect score. Famitsu gave it a perfect also.
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 09:24:35 PM »
In Reply To #9

Famitsu has been cocksucking the industry since the middle-ages of the PS2.

I don't trust them anymore.

One publication that seems to have it together a little more is EDGE, outta the U.K. My brother gets these and I look at them at his house every so often. Solid magazine making with great reviews and articles.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 09:26:12 PM by A N T R A X X »

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 09:36:35 PM »
MGS4 deserves a perfect score.

A 10/10 says to me it's a perfect game. My brother brought MGS4 over and I struggled with the non-intuitive controls the whole time.

For instance, in order to shoot around a corner in first person, you have to: get against a wall, push the sidle button, move to the edge until the camera pans a little, hold the R1 button to ready your weapon; while holding this, take your thumb off sidle button to go into first person (triangle?),and then you take your thumb off that just to aim with the right analog.

(note: I might have some buttons mixed up I dunno, but you get the idea)

I don't know about you, but to me that's just too complicated for a game that takes place in am active warzone.

Metal Gear has always had control issues, though.

Offline Alexc2808

• JerkofWonder
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 04:03:14 PM »
In Reply To #11
You see your opinion would matter if you weren't shooting it down months before it came out.  You pre-programmed yourself against it.  It is was they call a "self fulfilling prophecy" in psychology.  The game controls are not hard to learn at all.

This game has gotten perfect scores in more than 5 different game rating sites/magazines.  It deserves the perfect 10.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 04:05:45 PM by Alexc2808 »
I am Jerkofwonder.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 04:57:09 PM »
In Reply To #11
You see your opinion would matter if you weren't shooting it down months before it came out.

Offline Cypress

• Whip's Memory
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 05:52:38 PM »
Only 10 they should give based on their rating system is LOZOOT, MGS4...thats about it. GTA is a joke
-----------------------------------------------
Nowadays you are either a graphics whore or a fanboy. BR is Shank not CV. It is ridiculous to think that it is better than CV. If it was CV then it would be what RE4 is to Resi, a series killer. Dumb it down and make it look pretty. Enough idiots will buy it.

Offline Alexc2808

• JerkofWonder
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 01:58:37 PM »
In Reply To #13
Do you really want me to dig out all your posts where you were bashing it before it came out?  And watch your mouth, this is a civil conversation.  Can you really not argue without resorting to middle school playground language?
I am Jerkofwonder.

Tags: