Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Favorite Orchestra Composers  (Read 3841 times)

Offline Abodos

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Favorite Orchestra Composers
« on: April 11, 2009, 12:12:36 PM »
Of all the non-video game composers out there, which do all y'all consider your favorites? Is it a classical composer? film composer?

Me personally, I like Hans Zimmer. I had grown up listening to his score for The Lion King, which influenced the way I always viewed movie music. That is why I am pleased to hear him compose for Pirates of the Caribbean and The Dark Knight.

Aaron Copland is one of those composers who, although his name isn't instantly recognizable, has music which you will instantly recognize.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 10:43:30 AM »
Orchestral stuff never did much for me.  I don't mind it, but I don't get too hyped about it either.  I've always liked solo classical stuff though, like Bach's lute suites and lots of Chopin's nocturnes.  Other than Bach and Chopin, I don't know much of the non-famous classical music.

I do like John Williams's Star Wars soundtracks and Howard Shore's LotR soundtracks.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 12:21:32 AM »
my personal fav's inclued john whilliams (Star wars & Superman), John Berry (His musical score for The Black Hole), James Horner (Star trek's 2&3 + Aliens.   8)

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Favorite Orchestra Composers
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 03:35:23 PM »
This is kinda a tough one to decide for me.

On the one hand, James Horner's "Breaveheart" soundtrack is by and large my favorite single movie musical experience ever...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 03:39:54 PM by A n t r a x x »

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 09:44:56 PM »
In Reply To #4

yeah his Hedwigs Theme and A Window To the Past are some of my songs.

My FAV composer tho is Basil Poledouris. His score for Conan The Barbarian is my hands down tops #1 soundtrack of all time followed only by Queens Kind of Magic for Highlander

Offline silvermoonlight

• A Gentle Ray of Moonlight
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 07:30:57 PM »
Hans Zimmer is pure dynamite!

For non-movie and non-video game composers, I'd say... Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich, and my newest favorite is Astor Piazzola. He was a man from Argentina who moved to NY to study music, reinvented tango and also made some interesting spoofs on Vivaldi's four seasons called "The Four Seasons of Buenos Aires".
 ;D
soma eyes sig" style="width:276px

Offline Mobius

• Balls of Molten Steel
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 03:51:10 PM »
Tchaikovsky, Modest Mussorgsky, Igor Stravinksy, Gioachino Rossini, Camille Saint-Sa

"When it comes right down to it, extinguishing a living soul is as easy as blowing out a candle."

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 04:22:32 PM »
Hanz zimmer is God.
Klaus Badelt, Cliffton Williams, Jacob de Haan, Eliot del Borgo, Ferrer Ferran (The man behind The Passion of Christ and Joan of Arc)and many more! I'm a orchestra musician if you didn't know  :D

Everything comes full circle

Offline leapyear29

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 07:33:58 AM »
Here's a list of composers I like, maybe you'll like some of them too!
Rachmaninoff,Tchaikovsky,Saint-Saens,Chopin,Rossini,Dvorak,Grieg,Strauss,Mendelssohn,Scriabin,Liszt and
Shostakovitch. quite plenty hehe..

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 10:17:36 AM »
Although it's not 'classical', one of my fave composers is Henry Mancini.
He was one of the first (if not THE first) to incorporate Jazz and Swing style synchopation into orchestra music.  He would fool the composers into doing jazz by using lots ot Triplets in orchestral pieces.

Hey, ya gotta love the Pink Panther and Peter Gunn (anyone who's played the old Spy Hunter game knows "Peter Gunn").
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags: