Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Fangame: Simon's Quest Rebirth  (Read 15844 times)

Offline Wallz!

• Hunter in Training
  • Experimental fan games galore!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Castlevania Fangame: Simon's Quest Rebirth
« on: March 25, 2012, 11:28:48 AM »
As the title says, this is a Castlevania 2 remake I am working on. I know you've probably seen a million of these, but this is my attempt.
I have some screenshots available.
Town of Jova:

Jova Woods:

From those screenshots, I hope you noticed I'm taking an Aria of Sorrow approach to the game. Simon is currently an edit of Julius, and a rather bad one too, but I am trying to focus of the game first, graphics are my last priority. (But they won't go ignored)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania Fangame: Simon's Quest Rebirth
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 11:30:21 AM »
What language are you using?
Seems like an interesting start.  The character looks like a Julius Belmont AoS edit.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Wallz!

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 11:31:17 AM »
What language are you using?
Seems like an interesting start.  The character looks like a Julius Belmont AoS edit.
I'm not the most advanced guy, I'm using GML on Game Maker. Also, Simon's sprite is temporary, Im not the best sprite artist.

Offline Corpsecrank

• XXX
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Still uttering the same nonsense.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 11:54:54 AM »
I like those backgrounds though I think they are keepers at least in style if nothing else.
You can find all my projects here: https://thetilepile.blogspot.com/

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 05:16:32 PM »
Wow Ronny! Very nice start their. I too use gamemaker. I am not very good coder yet. But i am good with sprite art for sure. Say if you need the flame man enemy I made a couple custom versions.

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline Wallz!

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 06:41:01 PM »
Wow Ronny! Very nice start their. I too use gamemaker. I am not very good coder yet. But i am good with sprite art for sure. Say if you need the flame man enemy I made a couple custom versions.
...That'd actually be great, if you want to.

Offline Wallz!

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 06:48:54 PM »
+1
UPDATE
New towns+ updated Simon (Thanks to Jorge Fuentes :D)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 09:06:44 PM »
Like the new screens! However I'd lose the pink hair cause that's just not Simon. And I'd also put him back into his traditional CV 2 outfit. There was a reason why he was dressed in a full bodysuit, and if I am correct it was due to Dracula's curse physically rotting his body prematurely so he had to conceal it. However it is your personal take on the game so in the end you get to decide  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 09:43:10 PM »
looks good.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 10:43:37 PM »
The GBA style is kinda neat, but I think you should try to make the floor in the forest look more... natural?
"Stuff and things."

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 11:01:40 PM »
@ Ronny

The new one:(more polished and he's running like a dude on fire would do, well maybe stop,drop and roll lol!):

The old one:(i haven't gone back to touch him up yet)

@Jorge nice job on the simon sprites. Also i heard your somnus reef rendition. Very nicely done on that too. Say are ds players the same size as sotn, maybe gameboy adv or no? And if not how the hell did alucard end up in dawn of sorrow due to his sotn size? Hmm....i wonder did they do an entire new sheet on him or just kinda scale him down.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:03:42 PM by Las »

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline Wallz!

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 07:15:20 AM »
I've worked more on the engine and areas, Jova woods is complete. I want to ask, does anyone know what Dracula's Riddles mean in the original Simon's Quest? They will play a big part in this game.

Offline julianbelmontxx1

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 08:52:58 AM »
here you got two pages with the info you need:

http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/code-cv2.htm

http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/nes/cv2/clues.shtml

i hope this is useful for you.
BTW,your project looks interesting.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 09:47:42 AM »
I want to ask, does anyone know what Dracula's Riddles mean in the original Simon's Quest? They will play a big part in this game.

As far as the original game's script is concerned there are no riddles. SQ was very poorly localized to the point where nobody could really understand it. I too, once wondered what the people meant by Dracula's riddles, but it turns out there were none.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 02:58:03 PM »
Dracula's Riddles dealt with a number of things:
-Bits of information about what to do in certain situations.
-The locations of certain relics
-Controlling situations in order to get past certain illusions

Veros (in a room) - "Clear a path at Berkeley Mansion with a white crystal." - Means "use this item at this location in order to proceed forward".

Berkeley Mansion - "A symbol of evil will appear when you strike the stake." - Means that the few times in which you use the Stake item, it's in order to get something particularly evil (i.e. Dracula's Remains).

Berkeley Mansion - "Destroy the curse and you'll rule Brahm's Mansion." -  Some explanation below.
**The curse creates an illusion and a poison in the countryside.
**The illusion is in the river, because it masks away Brahm's Mansion.  Hence "you'll rule Brahm's Mansion", as you will be able to get past the illusion and see it (the Ferryman sees it too, but he's weiiird).
**More on 'the curse' later, as there are more clues.

Berkeley - "A flame flickers inside the ring of fire." - This could mean one of two things, and I'm not even sure on my interpretations, but it could mean:
**There is 'something alive' or 'something evil' inside the magical spheres in every mansion.  It's a clue to strike them to get Drac's Remains. (this is my best guess)
**There is a flame power for your whip concealed inside an alcove room somewhere (refers to the sorcerer who powers up your whip with flame power)
**There is a flame item concealed inside an enclosed chamber somewhere (Dabi's Path has a flame item)

Aljiba Woods - "To replenish earth, kneel by the lake with the blue crystal." - Exactly what it says.  However, 'replenish earth' means' really means to either drain the lake or remove a curse and see what's below.

Town of Aljiba - "An old gypsy holds a diamond in front of Deborah Cliff." - Exactly what it says.  There is a person who gives you a Diamond/ReboundStone in front of Deborah Cliff.  What the clue doesn't tell you is that there are two parts to Deborah Cliff; one by Brahm's Mansion (the one with the diamond) and the one further west on the main path, which is where you proceed forward (another clue is related to this other location)

Rover Mansion - "Destroy the curse with Dracula's heart." - You use Dracula's Heart to get the Ferryman to get you to the cursed part of the Dead River, breaking the illusion and taking you to Brahm's Mansion.

Rover Mansion - "Garlic in the graveyard summons a stranger." - The first true graveyard you encounter is east of Aljiba.  Should you visit Aljiba's graveyard after getting this clue, and dropping a Garlic into the ground, you will summon a stranger who gives you the Silver Knife.  Similarly, on the later graveyard after Alba, you can summon a stranger in the same way, by dropping a garlic at the screen at the end of the graveyard.  This stranger gives you the silk bag, thus increasing your laurel and garlic capacity (not sure about the garlic).  NOTE: A villager misleads you by telling you "Get a silk bag from the graveyard duck to live longer."  Maybe he meant "Get a silk bag from the graveyard stranger.  Crouch to avoid the slimes, dragon fireballs, etc. to save your life"? 

Brahm's Mansion - "Place the laurels in a silk bag to bring them to life." - Receiving the silk bag item increases your laurel capacity.

Deborah Cliff (not the one with the Diamond person) - "Dracula's nail may solve the evil mystery." - If you do not pick up Dracula's Nail, a set of blocks prevents Simon from crossing the bridge to Castlevania.  Having the nail removes a crucial block you need to climb the bridge.

Bodley Mansion - "The curse has killed the laurel tree." - Laurels are increasingly scarce, and salesmen will not sell you more than the 4 you can carry.  The reason for this is that the laurels carry some magical properties that Dracula does not want you to have, so his 'curse' has destroyed the means of procuring this item (as well as poisoning the land, driving some villagers mad, and causing illusions in the countryside).

Debious Woods - "Dracula's evil knife blurs Camilla's vision." - You receive a Golden Knife when you defeat the Grim Reaper in Brahm's Mansion.  This knife can be used to stun and land a few hits on the boss of Laruba Mansion, Carmilla's Mask.  By attacking Carmilla with the Golden Knife, you get a cheap dirty victory without risk of counterattacks, for the cost of a few hearts.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags: