Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire (HBO's Game of Thrones)  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Eärendil

• ♪♫ Bucketbot ♪♫
  • Hunter in Training
  • Aiya Eärendil elenion ancalima!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
A Song of Ice and Fire (HBO's Game of Thrones)
« on: June 06, 2011, 02:40:42 PM »
Anyone here watch Game of Thrones?

As someone who is familiar with the books, I knew it would be difficult for HBO to transition the vast plot and character development to screen. The writers have made this work about as well as it could; however, the reward in Martin's story is the gut-wrenching and suspenseful experience, and it really deserved the much wider audience television brings. The HBO version is not without flaws, but the multi-seasonal format is really the only realistic way to tell the tale on film. Budget is obviously the biggest restraint. Hopefully the excellent critical reviews and ratings will allow for an even larger budget I believe is required for season's two, three (especially) and so forth. The show has experienced an increase in ratings each week and HBO has approved the second season for A Clash of Kings. This is in part due to the show benefiting from a loyal following of the book series, A Song of Ice and Fire; a source of material seeming sufficient to avoid risk of the television series losing steam. Of course, never does a guarantee exist that any show will avoid similar fates of Deadwood or Carnivàle. Fortunately, the team overseeing the budget and production of Thrones has been far more efficient and careful with their finances; and furthermore, HBO has left the writers and artists to best interpret Martin's work.

Episode six is when the story congealed, similar to the same point of telling in book one. Episode seven and eight got my heart racing, even though I already knew what was to unfold. The scenes on this show have been intense enough; but, of course, if the HBO series even brushes the amount of suspense that is held by the literature, the remaining episodes will have some of the most intense moments fictional television has had to offer. Castles, dynasties, history and lore; a people that reminisce of extinct dragons and magic that is no more. Yet a mysterious evil grows and hordes of living dead lurk in increasing numbers beyond a gigantic wall and forgotten realm, all the while unbeknownst to kingdoms of people caught up in their own interpersonal conflicts and maniacal plots for power. A story where good and evil is blurred and everyone is flawed. What is there not to like here? Honestly, TV has been kind of stale lately, especially when it comes to science fiction and fantasy. Game of Thrones is a nice change of pace.
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge. --Tyrion Lannister, from George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (HBO's Game of Thrones)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 02:43:27 PM »
It's good... I've only watched a few episodes like 2?  But I'll most likely pick it up some time later.

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 02:57:23 PM »
Freaking brilliant casting. Tyrion, Littlefinger, Robert (my favorite character from the show, dude was amazing), Veras, Sansa, Arya, and plenty more... all great at portraying their characters. Well, Renly is a little... weird, but, you know, he's still good on the show, if different. This is the best show on TV I've seen in a long while, and a much better book to television conversion than Legend of the Seeker - the show based on Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth. I am consciously waiting all week to see the next episode. It's freshly on my mind day after day and I'm always in high, high anticipation. A show hasn't done that to me in a long time. Sure, I liked watching Clone Wars (being a huge Star Wars fan of that era of the mythology [Separatists vs. Republic]), but I kind of get to it when I get to it (download). A Game of Thrones, however? Man, I am on the ball with that crap! Martin will finally release his latest book soon, after a ridiculous five or so year wait, so it's one of the best times to be A Song of Ice and Fire fan right now!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 03:04:50 PM by Successor The Red »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 04:39:32 PM »
I watch that show religiously.  It's great. :)
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 05:24:17 PM »
Maybe Ill check it out sumtime if its really that good :o

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Tags: