Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1820872 times)

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania Mirror of Fate ( 3DS per request )
« Reply #1125 on: May 27, 2012, 12:32:48 PM »
I thought the nun thing was an interesting interpretation.

Wasnt it done like that because they didnt want to do long hair or something?
Probably. They gave Alucard long hair but hid it in his clothing. They didn't even bother trying to animate a cloak in-game either.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1126 on: May 27, 2012, 12:38:26 PM »
Probably. They gave Alucard long hair but hid it in his clothing. They didn't even bother trying to animate a cloak in-game either.
Isn't that the main reason, in a lot of HD games, they've shortened hair considerably in general? Long hair is a bitch to animate, which is sad, because it seems like the more shortened haired characters have become a trend solely based on the fact that nobody wants the task of animating long hair. If characters have long hair(girls, in particular), they always tie it up into ponytails, buns or pig-tails. Pretty sad. I hope, one day, animating hair becomes easier, so character design isn't as limited anymore.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #1127 on: May 27, 2012, 12:56:18 PM »
+1
its not hard now really its just more effort than not doin it at all. Theres PLENTY of hair/cloth simulation that can handle it effectively enough no ones gonna complain. The main issue is havin a physics engine that supports it to have it in real time. However they COULD just use the simulation and record the movement as standard bone based animation for each animation involved. It wont be dynamic in the end result but itll be better than nothin which is what we get 99% of the time

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1128 on: May 27, 2012, 01:11:16 PM »
Yeah, but a good example of good cloth animation has already been in Castlevania. Lament of Innocence has a wonderfully animated coattail, that probably didn't use that much physics. Leon on a whole is probably the best animated 3D character in Castlevania in my opinion. There are a lot of subtleties going on with his basic movements, besides the dumb vaulting off of poles.

he's my baby

Offline Ring_of_Varda

• Str+30, Con+10, Int+30, Luck+5, Atk+40, Def+14
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1129 on: May 27, 2012, 02:12:40 PM »
i take it there has been no new info?  between taking care of my daughter and work i haven't been able to keep up.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 02:41:26 PM by Ring_of_Varda »
"For God to be good, evil is a necessity in this world."

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1130 on: May 27, 2012, 03:13:53 PM »
Yeah, but a good example of good cloth animation has already been in Castlevania. Lament of Innocence has a wonderfully animated coattail, that probably didn't use that much physics. Leon on a whole is probably the best animated 3D character in Castlevania in my opinion. There are a lot of subtleties going on with his basic movements, besides the dumb vaulting off of poles.

he's my baby

I don't talk positively about IGA's 3d castlevania games but I do have a few compliments aimed at Lament of Innocence.

1. The animations were amazing in the game. It goes a long way, good animation gives a game character and castlevania was always big on character.

2. The whip had snap to it. It felt powerful and really felt like a whip. For some reason Curse of Darkness and LOS just didn't capture that same feel. It really felt authentic and unique.

Also, can someone tell me what happened to the animators during curse of darkness? Why did Lament look so good and animate so well yet curse of darkness was so stiff with very weak feeling weapons?...

Something happened to that team as time went on, I swear.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1131 on: May 27, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
The teams were always being changed. For example, the Harmony of Dissonance team shared very few members with those on Aria's. I'm guessing they lost Lament's animators when Curse's team was assembled.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1132 on: May 27, 2012, 03:21:48 PM »
I don't think there have have been sprites in the series as detailed as Alucard, ever. They really stripped everything down and made it more formulaic in later entries. Alucard's sprites were amazingly fluid, each frame breathed so well, and it showed.

On the subject of Shanoa, it would be cool to see her turn up in this new canon, I really liked her.

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1133 on: May 27, 2012, 03:37:57 PM »
I don't think there have have been sprites in the series as detailed as Alucard, ever. They really stripped everything down and made it more formulaic in later entries. Alucard's sprites were amazingly fluid, each frame breathed so well, and it showed.

On the subject of Shanoa, it would be cool to see her turn up in this new canon, I really liked her.

OSM, that is exactly why I will never agree with anyone who says any of the other IGA games are better.

Minus the balance issues with difficulty, SOTN was just soooo wonderfully crafted.

I mean stuff like getting hit by a powerful enemy sends you across the screen and Alucard puts his feet up against the wall and flips back to the ground. I mean come on! whoever came up with these animation ideas should be doing more 2d games!

Everything about that game was just amazing, from the shields that  had certain effects ( dark shield with the lightning going on within it)....Shield rod/shield combinations... It blows my mind, Aria of sorrow was great too but it always hit me how less creative and interesting the things you got in the newer games were. How less detailed things were too....

Animation and sprite detail have gone really downhill and I really dislike the new effects in the games. I miss the crazy fire sound effects in sotn.

Offline VampirehunterB

• Vampire Hunter
  • A Genuine Castlevania fan..
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1134 on: May 27, 2012, 04:17:54 PM »
yes, SotN:one hit wonder

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1135 on: May 27, 2012, 04:54:55 PM »
one word: joseph's cloak

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1136 on: May 27, 2012, 05:00:31 PM »
+1
one word: joseph's cloak

That just shows you how creative that team was.
Lets include a cloak that can be changed by the player. So cool...

I also loved the boots that actually made Alucard taller.... Gah .....make a game as creative and in-depth as that....please.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1137 on: May 27, 2012, 06:15:10 PM »
Soma's sprites both GBA and DS were pretty well animated IMO. And I would hope so considering his movements are based on Alucard's. His DS sprite in particular is pretty smoothly animated.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline CastleDan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1138 on: May 27, 2012, 07:03:33 PM »
Soma's sprites both GBA and DS were pretty well animated IMO. And I would hope so considering his movements are based on Alucard's. His DS sprite in particular is pretty smoothly animated.

yeah Soma's sprites were but everyone elses in the DS game were pretty bad generally.
Still not as many little details as alucards sprite.

I'll say this again, Aria of Sorrow was fantastic to me...it's just not on the graphical level of symphony of the night..which is unfortunate.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1139 on: May 27, 2012, 07:29:39 PM »
Yeah. But what can you do. It was still pretty good for a GBA game.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Tags: .....? 

anything