Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Pissed -- Intellectual Property issues  (Read 5446 times)

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« on: October 25, 2018, 04:52:39 PM »
So as many know, I am very keen on music, and video game covers. I love listening to what others do , as well as making my own music.

So I was browsing Spotify today to see what other people may have done for Streets of Rage music, since I am in the process of doing several songs of my own from the series at the moment.

And I know that Youtube is already a sort of haven for this garbage...but nevertheless...

I was shocked to find that someone out there is ripping music from the original games, and uploading the work as their own, and then subsequently getting PAID for each bloody stream...

I find this to be absolutely abhorrent.

I acknowledge that I might not have the best music out there--fine. But i struggle to make something special for each listener, trying to make something that is an enjoyable rendition of a classic. So I am really pissed that someone who puts literally no effort into making something , and did absolutely nothing of creative merit , is getting tons more streams and hence money than I am getting.

Granted, I know that this isn't the primary motivation for my getting my music on the platform. But , as many know, it costs a lot of money to produce cover songs, both from a licensing and musical equipment/ upkeep standpoint.

What I hate is that many platforms such as Youtube, Spotify, have no way to report this theft other than if you yourself are the original IP / Rights holder.

So yes, I did report this to Sega--I love Koshiro's work, he deserves the royalties, credit, but more importantly, acknowledgement that he is the originator. I honest to God hope that SEGA does something and takes advantage of Spotify's copyright infringement reporting. But I have even more sparse hope for musicians out there struggling if this sort of abuse is what they have to face for competition.

Yes, this is a rant. This does indeed put me in a foul mood. I hope there are others here that can identify with this frustration, but then again, it seems like society has also become quite tolerant of this sort of thing that "seemingly" affects no one.
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Pissed -- Intellectual Property issues
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 09:38:20 AM »
Some day they'll figure all this copyright stuff out, but for right now? Yeah, it is very inconvenient. The internet isn't the best place to put up personal works as it's way too easy for people to rip 'em off and paste it somewhere else as their own.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 10:17:22 PM »
> : (
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 04:45:41 AM »
This type of irony is why Grade A Under A disappeared and why Tyrone Magnus is still around, now with over 1 million subscribers.... (WOOOH!!!) :rollseyes:.............
(click to show/hide)
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^