Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: A Concept of an interesting approach to turn based combat.  (Read 3107 times)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
A Concept of an interesting approach to turn based combat.
« on: January 14, 2019, 09:34:31 PM »
Here's an explanation; the rinse, repeat, grind structure of turn based JRPG's don't seem to fit my fancy any more... I've brainstormed for months what I would think would be a fun refreshing approach, but I do need some help putting paper into code to see IF it's actually fun or just a cool concept.

The Battle system in mind is a more involved one, where experience is earned by actions rather than defeat; Grinding on the same enemy using the same weakness approach will eventually earn nothing as nothing is being learned (that's the logic, at least).

The actual battle is somewhere between a point and click puzzle on a VATS interface; Essentially every enemy is a puzzle, which the weakness and strengths vary in exploit-ability. Example; A fire Mech can be forced to melt down if you spam fire attacks, or you could use an ice attack to null the fire... but it would run faster. Another Example; An enemy is overpowering but can be exploited into power attacks and a simple dodge and counter attack would make quick work of it.

You'll have 3 options; A marksman who's specialty is ranged attacks and counter attacks, A Swordsman who's specialty is Rush attacks and defense, and a Mage, who's specialty is magic.
Formations and approach is the key to victory, and your killer weapon is your(yes you, the player) wits.

I Know it's not going to be simple, but What do you guys think?

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: A Concept of an interesting approach to turn based combat.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 11:05:30 AM »
Nothing is ever easy, but I say get your feet wet and see what you can come up with  8)

The only time I saw a JRPG that broke the mold was FF2 for the Famicom. In that game you didn't earn EXP by finishing the battle. You instead up-ed your skill sets by attacking the opposition. Physical damage raised your attack skills while magical attacks raised your magical abilities, etc. Heck you could even up your skills by attacking your own party members, lol. But you would have to move on to the next set of stronger enemies in order to earn higher skill points.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Re: A Concept of an interesting approach to turn based combat.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 12:08:35 AM »
I was going to mention FFTactics, but that isn' a JRPG.
FF2 is a better example. To a lesser degree that system was also used in Secret of Mana for spell proficiency.

I have always thought that a more refined version of FF2's system would make for a much more enjoyable experience than the wash-rinse-repeat most JRPGs have.

Also, I think Octopath Traveler might have some interesting ideas hidden away in it as well, but I haven't played it myself.
"Stuff and things."

Tags:

anything